Search results

1. Blitzen

Dynaco ST35

I feel my ST-35 with the EFB board compares favorably with ANY amp as far as sound goes. It will run out of power eventually if you listen loud, but that 35 watts is plenty with a pair of reasonable-efficiency speakers! Seriously, I've compared it to my big-watt solid state McIntosh, and my...
  2. Blitzen

I want one

"Hit, sunk, 12AX7".;)
  3. Blitzen

Are these real or fake Mullards?

Do the heaters "flash" when you turn them on? Typically, Mullards do this.
  4. Blitzen

Has anyone paired the ST-35 w/ Chorus 2's?

I paired an ST-35 with KLF-30s for a while. The 30s are supposedly only 1dB more efficient than those Choruses; pretty close. My ST-35 had the Dave Gillespie EFB mod, so it was producing an honest 35 watts. Great sounding! And the system got loud enough, for sure- not just background levels...
  5. Blitzen

Citation II tube cage repro

Looks great; good work!
  6. Blitzen

Looking for rotary input selector switch recommendations

I used a Grayhill in my passive preamp, and it works perfectly. Positive action, no noise.
  7. Blitzen

Circuit Board Cage For Dynaco ST-70!

Here's what I did with mine: 132796_10150121201332873_2334350_o by Blitzen posted Jan 11, 2020 at 5:53 PM It's just very stiff ornamental wire screen, with socket and cap holes cut out. It allows you to reach through with a precision screwdriver, to adjust the bias pots. This is a VTA board.
  8. 132796_10150121201332873_2334350_o

132796_10150121201332873_2334350_o

9. Blitzen

Something shocking: Dynaco ST35 with EFB mods

That was me with a new build, and otherwise you've got your facts right. The effect of this was a smoking bias resistor.
  10. Blitzen

diy st35 for klipschorns

I have Klipsch KLF-30 speakers, that have 102db efficiency: horn-loaded mid and tweeter. I used a a rebuilt ST-35 on these, and the sound was great. In comparison to my reference amp, a McIntosh MC402, the 35 was probably every bit as good until it runs out of power. This does happen at a fairly...
  11. Blitzen

Honestly, I thought there would be more interest. In any case, I'm a little short on time right now and would have to put it on the back burner for at least a few months. There's also the problem of people wanting an authentic-looking repro vs. one that's actually better than original: venting...
  12. Blitzen

How big are the holes? Can you measure them that accurately? Maybe just a number per inch would work. Thanks! Edit: I guess I could figure that out with your measurements and a detailed picture...
  13. Blitzen

OK, I've watched these original Citation II cages go for outrageously high $ lately. It makes me wonder if there's enough interest in putting together repro units for sale. I've never seen a "real" one, but there can't be anything about making these that's too difficult for basic metalworking...
  14. Blitzen

Dynaco ST-35: Getting Ready To Rebuild

I built an ST-35 with new parts and transformers from an SCA-35. Those are the same transformers used in an ST-35. New D. Gillespie boards along with the EFB board went into it. I can't speak for the sound of an original ST-35, but the sound of this amp compares very favorably with my reference...
  15. Blitzen

829B plate caps...

I just used the right sized solderable pins, as I recall, and used silicon tubing to insulate them. Hi-voltage test instrument wire:
  16. Blitzen

Denver Art Museum find

What's the schematic of?
  17. Blitzen

VTA ST70 driver board doesn't fit...

Get rid of the useless switch and put in a worthwhile volume control (input attenuator). Tubes4hifi has them, though they're available elsewhere if you're handy figuring out how to wire that in yourself.
  18. Blitzen

6P3S-Es in ST-70: Who's running them, and 'how'?

I used a set of 6P3S-e tubes in my ST-70 with VTA board for at least two years. Biased them at 45; I can't remember where my B+ voltage was but somewhere around 430 or so sounds right. They're good tubes, and I couldn't hear any difference in a set of high-price NOS EL34s. I checked the bias...
  19. Blitzen

ST-35 with EFB- dang!

Off it goes after playing for seven and a half hours, without a problem. I didn't really get a chance to run it hard, though. Maybe that will make a difference?
  20. Blitzen

ST-35 with EFB- dang!

The amp is playing now with no issues. A heat related problem? Time will tell.
  21. Blitzen

ST-35 with EFB- dang!

While there may or may not be something wrong with the EFB, it's integral to this amp, and needs to be part of its identifier. The original thread (bias problem) did seem to point to the EFB power supply, though it wasn't at fault. This thread actually seems to point even more so in that...
  22. Blitzen

ST-35 with EFB- dang!

OK, after listening for about 1.5 hours to this new build with everything sounding great, a little static starts creeping in to the music. Over the next minute or two it gained in intensity until I shut it down. I fired the amp up again for a few seconds with no input to check it- there is...
  23. Blitzen

ST35 with EFB bias problem

Listening now, and all is good. It's a very quiet amp, which I had hoped- better than my ST-70, which might need a little work at this point. Quiet yes, now I gotta check the loud.:naughty:
  24. Blitzen

THAT'S IT!! Yes, it was the brand new insulated input jacks. A quick check by jumpers, and then removing the insulating washer...it's biasing up normally now. I'll be putting this into service tomorrow and report back. Thanks, guys!!
  25. Blitzen

I built this ST35 as a new build: original iron on a new chassis with new boards and D. Gillespie's EFB circuit. On firing it up, it passed audio but the bias current just ran away- smoking the 50 ohm 5w resistor. On Dave's suggestion, I replaced the regulator and a couple caps, C4 and C8d...
Back
Top Bottom