Search results

1. Tim64

Cavalier CV axle boot clamp slipped off, grease leaked out

Looks like you have barely lost any grease other wise it would be slung all over that area. Get a new boot clamp locate the depression the boot end sits in/on then put the new clamp on and don't worry about it.
  2. Tim64

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Rubber Rodeo Scenic Views a country new wave band from Rhode Island circa the 1980's.
  3. Tim64

speakerlab

I built speakers through my junior high and high school years and bought some speaker Lab stuff. It was always well packed and the few drivers I purchased were well made and they even had cabinet volumes they recommended and I even got a cabinet plan tossed in once. If I dropped a speaker and it...
  4. Tim64

Realistic Nova 6 crossover mods?

Well decided to swap the 8 ohm out for the 10 ohm resistor and it seems I hit the mid/tweeters sweet spot. The cross board is temporary and will be replaced with a nicer lay out this was for the changes I knew I would be making Note all the little J hooks from swapping out the parts but that is...
  5. Tim64

Update: I ditched the factory crossover in favor of a 6db Solen Split. As I stated I have no software or ability to measure anything. The crossover calculator came up with a .9mh inductor and a 7.03uf capacitor for a theoretical 2000hz. . After some experimenting I settled on the .9 inductor and...
  6. Tim64

Going to revive this five year old thread with my thoughts. I recently acquired a very clean pair of Nova 6's and replaced the capacitor. I believe these are crossed over around 2khz but found the mid range to be over emphasized. Thought it might be the tweeters and padded them down a bit but...
  7. Tim64

My Realistic Nova 6 speakers and a couple simple mod's to the crossover

I've been keeping a eye out for a pair of these for some time and found a pair in great condition for a fair price. The cabinets are in great condition and will get some Danish oil soon. As they were the tweeter was harsh due to the old capacitor after replacing with a new 4. uf film cap same...
  8. Tim64

Amazon Basic RCA Cables

Worlds Best Cables WBC packs a lot of quality into there cables for the cost. The soldering is very well done (I checked) and I am currently using there Canare Star Quad with Amphenol RCA connectors. I have a 2 and 3 foot pair for under $50.00 for both no complaints. The Amazon basic cables are...
  9. Tim64

Harman Kardon AVR-146 making noises - safe?

Sounds like something is going bad causing the speaker relay to click. Could be failing capacitors or something else. Some of these AVR's run very warm which shortens the life of the capacitors. If you cannot trouble shoot it yourself I would just replace it if it were me. You mentioned it's...
  10. Tim64

How to be a Thrift Store Audiophile

I used to be a thrift store audiophile but was rehabilitated a few years ago. I actually got my system where I want it and just stopped going. I do miss the thrill of the hunt though. The few times a have gone the audio gear was all BPC and in rough shape. Anything nice likely gets posted on CL...
  11. Tim64

JJ = Just Junk?

My experience with the JJ EL 84's was in a mini watt amplifier. After three years they started to sound a bit harsh. I thought three years was reasonable for the hours they had on them. I replaced them with Electroharmonix and they sound great after two years of use.
  12. Tim64

I have a Marantz SR-68 that drops its presets. Why?

Bad super caps are pretty common due to aging out. I have had to replace a few these past years. Any equipment built before 2000 will start needing there Super Caps replaced as they start to fail.
  13. Tim64

Will Speakers Ever Sound As Good As Headphones?

Good point on near field which is what I do. My listening position and speakers form a eight foot triangle with speakers toed out a couple inches. My speakers are more detailed than my headphones which I use when I want to tune the world out. I enjoy my headphones and I would say they just offer...
  14. Tim64

In praise of decent interconnects and confirmation of real differences

I have some WBC interconnects with Canare Quad Star wire and Amphenol connectors. I checked the solder connections and these are well made cables. As far as sound all I will say is they do the job they were intended for.
  15. Tim64

USB Cable For DAC Any Differences?

My Dac is hooked up with a 6' Monoprice USB cable I paid around six dollars for it a couple years ago I've had no problems with it.
  16. Tim64

Had you ever sat down to listen to music

If you have sinus issues it can screw with your hearing at times I know this from experience. All the other reasons have already been addressed above.
  17. Tim64

Can ebay sellers see who is looking at their listings?

I sell on the Bay and you are correct you can only see how many are watching with no identifiers. E-Bay will sometimes prompt you to send a offer to the watchers on a buy it now item but you still don't get to see who. I also never select accept offers it is typically a waste of time because you...
  18. Tim64

Silver interconnects

The advantage of a twisted pair is they will provide some shielding to interference but that seems to not be a issue for you. Experimenting is part of the fun with making interconnects but I still feel using copper for one leg of the signal may negate part of the advantage of using the silver...
  19. Tim64

Which of three turntables to keep?

I used to have a SL-23 and I found it to be a good decent sounding turntable with stable speed. I had a Audio-Technica AT70E on it and it sounded pretty good. A new belt would be a good idea if you decide to keep this one.
  20. Tim64

Silver interconnects

Here's my thoughts on this, I used to work for Tara Labs so have some knowledge on the subject. The amplifier signal is ac so using two different materials will have different capacitance and inductance on each leg. While this likely will not cause any problems you may negate the benefit you are...
  21. Tim64

What's your latest audio purchase?

BTW I cannot recommend these the elevated treble makes them fatiguing after a couple hours of listening they are getting returned. Thought I would save someone from wasting there time and return shipping.
  22. Tim64

What's your latest audio purchase?

Just received my Samson SR850 head phones today and are currently on my head listening to Days of Future Passed on them.
  23. Tim64

Need help with a weird Polk MW5532 woofer

As mentioned magnet shift but that usually locks the voice coil pretty solid. I suspect the voice coil got over heated and warped possibly by to much power and is jammed up against the gap.
  24. Tim64

What are you listening to right now the second you see this post

Moody Blues Days of Future Passed on CD.
  25. Tim64

Portland Oregon?

I'm in the same local if you have something in mind pm me, I am more of a budgetphile myself since I listen near field. I have my gear posted in my profile just not into big dollar systems by choice.
Back
Top Bottom