Search results

1. Tim64

My Realistic Nova 6 speakers and a couple simple mod's to the crossover

I've been keeping a eye out for a pair of these for some time and found a pair in great condition for a fair price. The cabinets are in great condition and will get some Danish oil soon. As they were the tweeter was harsh due to the old capacitor after replacing with a new 4. uf film cap same...
  2. Tim64

Need Help Sony Speaker Identification and crossover capacitor puzzlement

Hi, I just picked these up at GW today with the intent of using them with my mini watt tube amplifier. All drivers are 8 ohm and in good condition they sound pretty good cabinet needs a little internal bracing. I opened them up to get the capacitor values and there is a 2.2 mfd going to the...
  3. Tim64

A really good article about vinyl, digital files and cd's

I just got done reading this and found it to be a well balanced article. It discusses the strengths and weaknesses of the different music formats and why one may be preferred over the other. The title is misleading of the content and please no flame wars over which one is superior, Thank You...
  4. Tim64

cadmium on wire wrap post

Just replaced a capacitor on a cross over in a 1970's speaker and after I noticed a yellow powder on them. Anyone else been there done that. I know it's toxic but wonder about heating it up and just how toxic it is.
  5. Tim64

Tweeter swap out on a Polk R40

Finally got a laid back Saturday so decided to ditch the tweeters on my Polk R40's that just never sounded that great in the three years I have had them. I was thinking of using the CTS phenolic ring tweeter but remembered I had a pair of Samsung speakers in the garage. The Samsung cone tweeters...
  6. Tim64

Denon DVD-2930-CI I think I scroed

Went to a estate sale and picked a Denon DVD-2930-CI in pristine condition (not even any dust inside and in the box) for 35.00. They were asking 125.00 and it was toward the end of the sale and told them "I don't want to low ball you but it's ten years old and I don't know how much life is left...
  7. Tim64

Tube Sound on a Tight Budget

This is my low budget system I thought I would share to show you can get pretty good sound for not a lot of cash. Amplifier is the APPJ Miniwatt with JJ and Tungsol tubes puts out 3.5 wpc. The pre can be found under a couple names Nobsound is one of them, mine happens to be a Zhilaiaudio...
  8. Tim64

APPJ-PA0901A Mini Watt Tube Amplifier owners what do you think of it?

I have had my APPJ-PA0901A for about three weeks and have really been enjoying it. The Tube Cube looks to be the same unit with tube upgrade options available. I am still running the stock Shuguang tubes and am thinking of replacing the 12ax7 with the JJ long plate 12ax7. I have to admit it...
  9. Tim64

Need Help with Class A kit bias adjustment

I am going to buy a class a 3 watt amp kit which specifies a 600 ma bias current but am not sure where the test points should. I am thinking it's the plus side of c-5 to ground but am not sure. Any help is appreciated thanks.
  10. Tim64

Gem Tune X-1 Tube Amp Any opinions on quality?

I'm thinking about going from my Sansui A80 to this tube amp a Gem Tune X-1 on Amazon. The reviews on amazon are all positive, but you all know what those are worth. This would be my first tube amp and for me 300.00 is a lot of money and can't just spend it away. Any one with first hand...
  11. Tim64

Any one else tired of there local music store being rude to them

Well I am done with my two local music stores here in Southern Oregon. One the owner is always in a bad mood and never ask him how he is doing because he will return with "does it look like I'm doing good" and he goes on. His prices are very high used is 10.00$ and up and new 18.00$ is average...
  12. Tim64

CD's and Vinyl not vs, but limitations of both

Read this short article written by recording engineer about both formats kind of a interesting take on the subject. BTW I enjoy both formats and at the moment listening to the poorly mixed Ultimate Who on cd. http://www.rockedition.com/columns/guest-blogs/why-cds-sound-better-than-vinyl/
  13. Tim64

Opinions Friday Music Days of Future Passed Lp

I would like to purchase the Friday Music release of Days of Future Passed but the few reviews on Amazon are less than stellar. If you have this lp I would like to know if your copy is good. I'm hoping the problems were from the first runs and corrected by now. Thanks Tim...
  14. Tim64

Off Speed LP Records Anyone?

Picked up a copy of DEVO'S Freedom of Choice LP and to my surprise it was playing fast. After reducing my pitch control back all the way it was still to fast. Evidently the master while being cut was rotating to slowly, got past QC and stampers were made. Side one is affected and side two is...
  15. Tim64

Sanyo MG-29 Cart on a Pioneer PL-10 Turntable

A friend gave me this PL-10 after I repaired his Pioneer Direct Drive. A cleaning and re lubing is all it took to get it up and running. It had the MG-29 with a bad stylus so I replaced it with the elliptical version and aligned the cartridge. I have read much on this cartridge and it's many...
  16. Tim64

Pioneer PL-117D is 100.00 to much to pay

Just found a Pioneer PL-117D on CL owner is asking 100.00. He is the original owner. The table is in great condition from the pictures even the dust cover is clear. If it was direct drive I would not hesitate but it seems a bit steep for a belt drive. It will be a hour and a half drive to pick...
  17. Tim64

Time for a new cartridge

I am currently using a Shure M93E with Jico Stylus and it sounds fine the highs could be better. My turntable is a Technics SL-D3 and am thinking of getting a Grado Black or a Sumiko Oyster. The oyster has a .6 conical stylus while the Grado is elliptical with no specs. Anyone who has used these...
  18. Tim64

Beovox X25 Trift store find

Picked up a pair of Beovox X 25 speakers at the local thrift for a fiver. I was going to throw them behind the seat of the pick up but after listening to them I may not do that. I am blown away by the clarity of the mid range and the highs have a nice quality to. The bass is not bad for a six...
  19. Tim64

Kenwood KR6400 Rescue

This recently came into my possession in not the best of shape. The Previous owner said it would work for a few minutes and make strange popping noises. First off I cleaned all the dust and stuff out of it so I could see what I was up against. It did power on I did not wait see if it would act...
  20. Tim64

Inside a Shure M93 Cartridge Case

I have read some members being concerned about using a over sized stylus shank loosening up there Shure Carts ruining the cart for use with a correctly sized stylus shank. This cart was from a turntable that was given to me for parts, a Dual 1229 that had fallen off there garage shelf :tears: it...
  21. Tim64

Copper clad Aluminum speaker wire

I just recently moved my system and needed longer wire runs to my speakers. I decide to go with 14 gauge and started looking for some quality but not high end speaker wire. I started to run into wire that used copper clad aluminum conductors and found this out from the reviews not the specs...
  22. Tim64

RCA Patch Cables, Monster cable vs Steren

I have found some decent cables from thrift stores and I got a 6' monster cable and 12' steren RCA patch cable for a 1.00ea. I only have need for 3' cables so out came the soldering iron a bag of solder type RCA connectors and of course the wire cutters. Neither of these cables are exotic they...
  23. Tim64

The Jico ATN72E Stylus

My new Jico replacement stylus arrived today for my Audio Technica AT71 cartridge. I have been using the AT ATN72e stylus that is .4x.7 and to be honest it sounds good, nice smooth response but nothing special. I am using a Rega P1 turntable with no mods. I do prefer the sound of the AT over the...
  24. Tim64

NOS styli for Pickering XV-15

I have a local Home entertainment store that has quite a few NOS styli. I picked up a Empire branded replacement for a Stanton 68000 for 10.00 dollars. No info on it made in Japan sticker was 45.00 so a presume it is elliptical. The other is a for the XV-15 a Walco replacement .3x.7 polished...
  25. Tim64

Greetings from Northern California

Hi Everyone, Audio on a budget is my hobby, my niche is repairing cassette decks I buy from thrift stores. My latest find was a Yamaha K-420. The capstan bushings had dried out took a hour to fix for 5.00 bucks what the heck. I also like to spin vinyl on my 80's Technics. Glad to be on this...
Back
Top Bottom