Search results

1. Fusion

ProAc Studio 118

It's a little hard to say now. I changed the layout of my room (rectangular, system on the long wall; changed to diagonal). As a result of this change, there is a lot more room behind me before the back wall. So I suspect reflections are a lot less of an issue. The sound improved...
  2. Fusion

Looking at a Few Tube Amps

I'd listen to them first, for sure. There is a local dealer that stocks Cayin. I'm not terribly concerned because Cayin have a good rep, so even if they use basically the same amps as they did years ago, it should still sound good. But it's better to be cautious for sure, before plunking down...
  3. Fusion

:rflmao: I imagine you are probably serious. Yes, something like that could work. Or I can obviously get up to adjust the volume and get used to doing that. Thanks for inquiring with King, btw. Anyways, this amp or the Cayin are on my radar.
  4. Fusion

Do you know if King accepts requests to make modifications from his standard model? Nothing major, just a remote to change volume levels. I suppose I can ask him. I like being able to adjust the volume up or down slightly depending on what is playing. Very tempting given the price of the amp...
  5. Fusion

Bought them used for $200 or so, so really great value. But yeah, it really is a case of trade offs. Too bad one speaker just doesn't do everything better, which would make the decision easy. The AX-Two's beam high frequencies a little bit, so they fall behind the ProAc's there (it's not an...
  6. Fusion

Thanks, RGA. I don't post much there but I am on CAM (more of a lurker - and I've actually noticed David's posts as he signs his name at the end of them). If I end up selling the AX-Two's I'll definitely check in with David to see if he wants them. Listened to them last night. They do a lot...
  7. Fusion

Looking forward to hearing Brendan's thoughts. For the price I may just grab one. I don't plan on running tubes all the time and it makes that type of plan more difficult if your tube amp costs $3,000. Hard to justify the expense for something that sits on the sidelines half the time. Just...
  8. Fusion

Good point. I'll have to keep AN in mind as they would be a great alternative if the Eaton is too expensive. Should be able to get $1k for my speakers if I make a move. My favorite local dealer is a Tannoy dealer, so I will hopefully be able to demo the Eatons in the not too distant future...
  9. Fusion

Thanks RGA, the KA-01 sounds like a lot of amp for the money. The Prestige series...if I get lucky I could maybe find a used pair, but even then it's a little pricey. Fair points about buying one pair of expensive speakers vs. multiple pairs of inexpensive ones though. I'm hoping the Legacy...
  10. Fusion

OB, I would love to try a pair of ATC's. Always been scared off by the power requirements though (well, at least many suggest they need a lot of power). The Sugden is pretty gutsy though, as is my old Audio Space amp. I bet either could do the job. But...now I'm kind of focused on those...
  11. Fusion

The KA-01 must have really impressed. So, it's a headphone amp that can also power speakers? It looks big in some shots but then you see it with other gear and it looks pretty small. Big change going from that giant LM. I haven't bought anything but I am still leaning to the Cayin...probably...
  12. Fusion

ProAc Studio 118

Yeah, I suspect the +/- on those figures is much higher than 3dB. I wish ProAc would be a bit more clear with the frequency range but it's just a stat and I've found specs like that won't always predict how a speaker will sound. The speakers are relatively small and for their size the bass is...
  13. Fusion

Thanks, RGA. I'll keep that in mind. I've enquired in the past with the LM distributor and they advised against trying different tubes. Same for my Audio Space. I'll give the amp a demo before buying. There's a local dealer that carries the line and stocks lots of integrated amps (including...
  14. Fusion

Limited tube rolling options. I know it's a little silly, but part of the fun will be in trying different tubes. Also, LM isn't sold in my area. I think the closest dealer is 5 hours away (one-way). Otherwise, it would likely be at the top of my list.
  15. Fusion

In 500 years I may have enough saved up. Whoops, forgot to consider inflation. Make that 750 years! I think I have pretty much landed on the Cayin. Nice looking amp. The brand is well regarded. Point to point. Lots of tube rolling options (would have loved KT120 as an option but between...
  16. Fusion

Yeah, cost is the thing. I could go with the Inspire amp and a pre and the total cost will be $4K. A bit much considering I am also keeping the Sugden. I must say that the Cayin CS-55A has caught my eye. Cayin is well regarded and it gives me a bit more of what I'd like from a tube amp...
  17. Fusion

Dennis Had Inspire SE Amps

I get the preference for simple. That looks really cool. I don't have much experience was passive preamps but in general I have preferred active. It's really system dependent obviously. With high efficiency speakers I'd definitely try passive. As ob says though, with my set up active would...
  18. Fusion

RGA, tell me if I'm being unnecessarily worrisome. One of the reasons I like the Cobra, Inspire, Cayin, Rogue, and Primaluna, etc. is that I can see all the tubes. One day I had a tube red plate in my Audio Space because it was not seated properly. Luckily I noticed it as I was off to the...
  19. Fusion

I suppose the front faceplate is a little tacky but it doesn't bother me that much to avoid buying.
  20. Fusion

I don't see a lot of bling myself. Might pick one of these up. I almost did last year. I have had a hard time choosing a tube amp to run but these are relatively affordable, class A SET amps, with so many tube rolling options. And because they don't use a lot of tubes the cost wouldn't be as...
  21. Fusion

Ha, that's funny. A lot of companies seem to neglect their websites though. In the year 2017 it's kind of surprising to say the least. But one could probably argue AN is focused on audio and it's just a lot of fun for them. They aren't some conglomerate where making $ is the only goal, so a...
  22. Fusion

So I guess there is nothing new on the Cobra yet. AN really don't know how to keep a buyer's attention! At least give something like a target date or some details on the website. At this point I am ready to move on. There are plenty of nice options out there. The likely scenario is that I...
  23. Fusion

Audio Note Speakers

Nice! I know the LS50 are puny things but the size difference is a bit startling. Sometimes I get the urge to move to larger speakers. I've kept that in check for the time being.
  24. Fusion

I haven't heard any amps (in my room) do what the Sugden does. Tough choice!
  25. Fusion

ProAc Studio 118

I really can't say without having heard the 685 in my system. I'd expect bigger scale and deeper bass but that's not a certainty. The ProAc's cost over twice as much, so they should beat the 685 in most aspects of sound reproduction. In my small room they provide enough scale and bass and the...
Back
Top Bottom