Search results

1. Putterman

Sony BDP-S5100

I have one and got it primarily for its SACD output via HDMI. It does everything fairly well.
  2. Putterman

Why bookshelf rather than floor-standers??

twitch54 said: ↑ there is also one other area that can't be overlooked ........... room anomalies (acoustic). While it's true that most floor standers can outperform 'bookshelf' speakers in the lower octaves not all rooms are optimized for their bass drivers to be located there. A pair of stand...
  3. Putterman

Best Budget Bookshelf Speakers

I suspect that you need time to acclimate to a different, but likely more accurate sound. You might try listening to the Paradigm's exclusively, but you might want to angle the speakers either straight ahead or facing slightly away from you. If that doesn't tame the treble, there's always that...
  4. Putterman

Does Anyone Use Their DVD Player Just for CD’s?

I'm finding that I prefer using a DVD player for CD's. There are several advantages as long you don't hear differences between CD and DVD players (which I don't). One is the all DVD players have a digital out. Two is that the ones I have (Sony DVP-NS90V and Denon DVD-1930CI) remember where I...
  5. Putterman

AVR Sound Calibration Mic Question

I see that mic listed on Amazon and Ebay in the $20-30$ range. I'd probably get one if only for peace of mind that you have a correct calibration.
  6. Putterman

Need help choosing between 3 Low-mid Range AV Receivers

At this point, I've had better luck with Denon than any other brand, although my Denon AVR's have been refurbs from Accessoriesforless which means someone had trouble with them. I also use a Denon 335R in a bedroom system. The tuner is wonky so just use it as an amp and have an old Yammie tuner...
  7. Putterman

Keeping Our White Van Credentials

Actually, my bad. Browsing a few listings Tech(nics)(Ken)wood, it seems Rent-A-Center uses their 'high end' Pro Studio woofers for this line. So, not white van at all or at least legitmate:idea: white van.
  8. Putterman

Keeping Our White Van Credentials

https://albany.craigslist.org/ele/d/rensselaer-set-of-pro-studio-tower/6937425013.html Set of Pro Studio tower speakers - $100 (Rensselaer) Excellent Set of speakers. Paid over $400 a year ago. First come first served. Cash only. I can deliver locally only. It's kind of funny that when the...
  9. Putterman

"Custom" speakers in local ad

Less than the sum of the parts. :yikes: However the cabinet looks pretty high end and might be worth a DIY by someone who knows what they're doing. The planar tweeter in the middle hole might be worth salvaging as part of a 3 way.
  10. Putterman

Cerwin Vega speakers

They did actually sell for the $1100 asking price plus $250 shipping. However checking other completed sales were more in the $200 to $500 range although some were local pickup only or needed refoaming.
  11. Putterman

The Phantom "Menace" Center compared to Dedicated Center. Thoughts and opinons?

Was your center volume matched with the mains? AFAICT this specific question hasn't been asked. You have a Marantz NR-1508 with Audyssey MultiEq. Did you use the Audyssey setup mic to volume match and EQ the speakers? If yes and you want to use the center then your best bet is the acoustically...
  12. Putterman

Denon S-301 HTIB

Just the fact that it plays both SACD and DVD audio is enough in my book to make worth $50 in my book. I might look to upgrading the speakers and possibly the sub over time.
  13. Putterman

Sony UBP X1000ES vs UBP X800 vs UBP X700. Please help me chose one!

I'd point out that for DVD Audio releases when you play them on a regular DVD player, you'll still get a multi channel playback, although either Dolby Digital or DTS. This backward compatibility is enough reason to go for IMO for the 700, although if I saw both for the same price I'd get the 800.
  14. Putterman

Can't use bananas?

Infinity used a similar setup of a plastic insert. My understanding was that it was an EU mandate. You can usually remove them with a jewelers screwdriver. When Audioholics reviewed Infinity Primus 360 he actually had to drill them out and downrated them partially based on that. I've never had...
  15. Putterman

Best Bipole Surround Speakers

If what the OP had was the Infinity QPS1, which was four 3 inch drivers and wasn't designed for full range sound as it dates back to the days of Dolby Pro Logic where surrounds were primarily used for 'fill', then almost any bipole surround with a tweeter should be an improvement. I use direct...
  16. Putterman

Radio Reception

The bottom line is that modern receivers especially the AV Receiver treat the Tuner as an afterthought. Given the decreasing popularity of OTA FM (I'm still a fan!), it's often possible to find a used component tuner cheap. Beware of the ones that came with rack systems. The good ones will have...
  17. Putterman

I'm looking for speaker recommendations.

I suspected that was the case. Offhand I recall that Atlantic AT-2 was a bookshelf speaker with something call H-Pas technology which allowed it to go down to 40hz with a 5.25 inch woofer. The price with discounts is in your price range. The professional reviews are very complimentary. I have no...
  18. Putterman

Fluance RT80 or Technics SL-5300?

You'll likely find another Technics listed at some point or a Sony/JVC/Hitachi/Kenwood and many other Japanese brands. If buying used, budget for a new cartridge and a general rule Direct Drives TT's tend to be more reliable.
  19. Putterman

Mini/Micro audio system speakers

I tend to go in the opposite direction which is to discard the cheap speakers that come with many microsystems which have decent tuners and OK amps if limited in power and use a good budget speaker. I have setups like that in the exercise room using a pair of Boston Acoustic Soundware speakers...
  20. Putterman

I'm looking for speaker recommendations.

In your price range, I would split the budget into $500 or so for a good subwoofer and the balance on a pair of front ported or acoustic suspension 2 way speakers. This would increase the effective power of your amp and allow you to use a small acoustic suspension speaker which might well blend...
  21. Putterman

Brand New Marantz SR-7012 $999 or Refurbished 6012 for $699?

I'd lean toward the 7012 for a couple of reasons. It seems to get better reviews on Amazon, something about a defective video chip although that problem was only found on early production and is likely to have been fixed if it's a refurb. The other reason is more ergonomic. The 6012 has only...
  22. Putterman

High Fidelity: Decades of Decline

I was rather surprised that they didn't deal with loudness compression, i.e. reducing the dynamic range of recorded music. It strikes me that this might have hit too close to home for many of the producers and to a lesser degree musicians. This is also part of the MP3 legacy in that earbuds...
  23. Putterman

5.1 or 7.1 surround sound room layout help

It is unfortunately very far from the real number. There are in fact 96 million Americans age 16 and older who are not in the labor force. Of this, just 5.4 million, or 91 million fewer than the number cited by Trump, say they want a job. The rest are retired, sick, disabled, running their...
  24. Putterman

Best subwoofers?your favorites

I have a Def Tech Pro Sub 80 that I got for $100 at an SA and never understood what all the fuss was about subs until I started listening to it as the sub in my computer system. While I'm sure it's not in the same league as the Supercube, listening to Chris Squire's bass lines in Close to the...
  25. Putterman

stupid question?

Ah but where's the fun in that!? I thought the whole purpose of this forum was to collect way too much audio equipment, i.e. to be an enabler.
Back
Top Bottom