Search results

1. ssouci

Marantz 2275 - no stereo FM

having a problem with my Marantz 2275 receiver..... DESCRIPTION - FM not in stereo: receives stations well enough, but they're playing in mono, and the stereo lamp does not light up - *however*, in a few tiny spots on the dial, I can sometimes get a shred of stereo, but extremely poor quality...
  2. ssouci

Fisher X-202: is the Phono section any good?

I have a Fisher X-202 integrated amplifier, restored and recapped sounds great playing CDs through the Aux input (using an Oppo BDP-83SE player) I recently acquired an old Dual 1009 turntable, but so far it sounds only "so-so"... experiencing excessive surface noise issues, and the volume is...
  3. ssouci

Attentuators - Use With Fisher Tubes Amps?

I'm intrigued with the idea of using in-line attenuators on the input terminals of my Fisher integrated tube amp (model X-202) it seems that modern input sources are too "hot" (too high voltage) for older equipment like a tube amp, for example a CD player, DAC box, etc... and that can overload...
  4. ssouci

X-202: How to Maximize Sound Quality?

I have a Fisher X-202 integrated amp wondering what other owners are are doing to squeeze the most out of their amps in terms of SOUND QUALITY, and to a lesser degree, reliability what things have you done that provided the greatest and most worthwhile improvements in sound quality, in terms...
  5. ssouci

X-202: one tube suddenly redplating!

HELP! I recently did some work on my Fisher X-202 upon turning it back on, it started playing, but it sounded odd and I heard a lot of general distortion (at least in the R speaker, which I was sitting beside)... then I noticed one of the four output tubes was glowing BRIGHT RED, so I...
  6. ssouci

X-202: Faint sound heard despite zero volume setting

I've developed an issue with my restored Fisher X-202 integrated tube amplifier if I play a CD, I can hear the faint sound of music coming through at ZERO volume setting I usually start off a playing session at zero volume, then immediately raise to the desired listening level... I do not...
  7. ssouci

Dual 1209 - abnormal static & groove noise?

I'm resurrecting my old Dual 1209 turntable did a basic mechanical cleanup and lube... motor runs strong and steady, idler wheel cleaned, etc. installed a used Shure M91ED body, with a brand-new Tonar aftermarket stylus I've done some basic cartridge setup: - cartridge positioned within the...
  8. ssouci

Ortofon VMS 5E MkII cartridge -- worn out?

I just rescued my parent's old Dual 1209 idler wheel turntable it's fitted with an Ortofon VMS 5E MkII cartridge, with the original stylus I plugged it into my vintage Fisher X-202 tube integrated amp (rebuilt, and has 2 white labelledRCA 12AX7 tubes in the phono section) it plays, however...
  9. ssouci

X-202 - hum when using Phono

I have a Fisher X-202 integrated tube amp that sounds very nice have been playing only CDs so far, using the Aux input... sounds great, nice and quiet just hooked up my old turntable, a vintage Dual 1209 idler wheel unit (with Ortofon VMS 5E Mk II cartridge) seems to play fine, however, I'm...
  10. ssouci

crackling/static noise in one channel (X-202)

I've suddenly started hearing a crackling/static noise in one channel of my Fisher X-202 integrated amplifier Description: - sound is an uneven "crackling/static" noise, NOT smooth white noise - in the right channel only - not too loud, however loud enough to be heard in a quiet room once music...
  11. ssouci

HF-81: How to remove power switch?

is it possible to completely remove power switch mounted on the back of the treble pot assembly on an Eico HF-81? how do I do it please?... do I have to remove (and unsolder) the assembly first to gain access to it, or can I do it with the pot assembly in place? the reason I'm asking is that...
  12. ssouci

Eico HF-81 -- best output tubes?

I have a completely rebuilt Eico HF-81... virtually every part and wire has been replaced with careful choices by an experienced HF-81 rebuilder I've tried 3 sets of vintage NOS output tubes, with surprising results: #1. Siemens E84L / 7320 (heavy duty version of EL84 that can sub as a 7189)...
  13. ssouci

Fisher X-202 - Bias & DC Balance settings using tool?

I have a newly-acquired Fisher X-202 amplifier (not X-202-B) I want to check and adjust the Bias and DC Balance settings, but notice that the official Fisher method requires desoldering a jumper and taking reading from beneath the chassis, something I find to be a real PITA and would rather...
  14. ssouci

Fisher X-202 Amplifier - new acquistion, need help

hello, I just picked up a vintage Fisher X-202 integrated amplifier (not X-202-B) it's not the prettiest or most cosmetically perfect unit, but it sure looks like a cool old-school relic! the unit was rebuilt/restored internally by the previous owner, who seems knowledgeable and works on a lot...
  15. ssouci

Vintage tube amps - Cooling fans & keeping them cool

I'm wondering what others are doing to keep their vintage stereo tube amplifiers running cool, eg. older tube units by The Fisher, HH Scott, Eico, McIntosh, Marantz, etc. most were designed to run on historically-lower mains voltages so will run hotter now because of today's higher volatges...
  16. ssouci

Electrohome / Viking Console Tube Amp

I just picked up this tube amplifier, which was pulled from an Eatons "Viking" brand stereo console (see photo of the faceplate) my research shows it to most likely be made by Electrohome, in Kitchener, Canada the tuner section has been removed, hence the big hole (tuner will not be replaced)...
  17. ssouci

DCM TimeFrame TF700 Restoration

whew!!!!... finally finished restoring my recently acquired DCM TimeFrame TF700s man, what a massive and fussy job, especially in a small apartment... took me a LOT longer and required more $$$ than expected, and had setbacks along the way, but they now look brand new (maybe even better?)...
  18. ssouci

Stuffing DCM TimeFrame speakers - correct way?

DCM TimeFrame speakers - correct way to stuff? I'm wondering about the correct way to stuff DCM TimeFrame speakers? I recently bought a pair of TF-700s, but the stuffing arrangement was much different than what I remember from my similar TF-500s... these units have been previously...
  19. ssouci

Correct order for tightening woofer screws?

What is the correct sequence for tightening mounting screws on metal-framed woofers when re-installing them? Also, any tips on proper amount to tighten? I have 8" woofers with 8 screws and will be installing into old particle board cabinets that I have smoothed out with epoxy and paint. I...
  20. ssouci

DCM TimeFrame TF-700, crossover problem

I'm restoring a pair of DCM TimeFrame TF-700 speakers, and need help with the crossover... my crossovers have been mucked around with, and I'm trying to get them back into correct factory configuration :pity::pity::pity: cannot find a schematic for the TF-700, only for TF-1000... apparently...
  21. ssouci

Help! - blew my output transistor! (Harmon Kardon HK 450)

Help! - blew my output transistor! (Harman Kardon HK 450) Help! - I was trying to set the power amp idling adjustment on my vintage Harman Kardon HK 450 DC receiver (aka Harmon Kardon) but, my probe slipped and I shorted out transistor NEC D587A !!! (see photo) the short occurred between...
  22. ssouci

2275 - Phono amp adjustment?

hello: for a 2275 receiver... I'm wondering how to do the Phono amplifier adjustment (on the Phono board after a recap) -- but using only a multimeter the manual says to "adjust R408 and R409 for equal clipping" (but that method needs a scope and signal generator) thanks!
  23. ssouci

*** WARNING: Marantz fan base is changing!

WARNING: Marantz fan base is changing! *** WARNING *** seems the Marantz fan base is changing! (and for the better IMO...) if you're some married male with a wife who thinks your vintage Marantz hobby is nice, safe, and won't get you into trouble -- this development might be important...
  24. ssouci

Oppo BDP-83SE disc player - getting too hot?

my BDP-83SE seems to be getting far too hot under normal operation for example when I play a music CD for half an hour or so, and I eject the disc, I can feel that the disc is very warm (almost hot) to the touch, noticeably above room temperature looking at the cabinet, there are vents...
  25. ssouci

Replacement pre in/out jumpers?

I'm looking for replacement RCA pre in/out jumpers for a 22XX Marantz receiver (2230 or 2275, they have the same spacing) would love a set of original Marantz jumpers, but realize might be hard to find ($30+ship on eBay) any suggestions? also, are the plain U-shaped bare wire ones OK...
Back
Top Bottom