Search results

1. G

E.V. 1823 vs 1823M

Just wondering if anyone tell me what the difference is between the electro voice 1823 and the 1823M. I found a pdf of an old EV spec but it wasn’t helpful to me. Specifically I’m interested in 1) spl 2) usable freq range and 3) is there a consensus that one is better than the other (although...
  2. G

is this cap in signal path? and more questions

Thanks, BinaryMike. That makes sense to me. Does anyone have any advice regarding polystyrene caps? They seem difficult to find and very expensive but I did find some of the russian variety on ebay for what I think are pretty reasonable prices. Are these good options if they are new-old...
  3. G

Thanks for your feedback. BinaryMike, Regarding the de-emphasis network, the manual says that it is intended to provide roll-off for recordings with pre-emphasis. But I thought the purpose of pre-emphasis is to reduce background noise so is this circuit counter productive? Regarding...
  4. G

This is my first project. Actually 2nd - the 1st is on hold because I f##K'ed something up. I'm modding an Arcam Black Box1 (TDA1541A) and have already upgraded the diodes to schottky's, almost all of the PS caps with silmic II's and have some opamp sockets with AD823's. There has been a big...
  5. G

Maddeningly intermittent Adcom tuner

Duncan, Just curious if you received the trimmer cap yet and had a chance to replace it?
  6. G

Arcam Delta Black Box 1 - Mod Help

Recently I got an Arcam Delta Black Box 1 that has the TDA1541A chip. I had planned on modifying it but nonetheless I was completely unimpressed with the sound. Last night I upgraded 10 of the diodes to schottky's and replaced 4 of the 1000uF PS reservoir caps with Elna Silmic II's. The...
  7. G

Diode Compatibilty

so i did replace the 400Vdc diodes (BYD33G) with some 200Vdc Schottky's. I replaced both of the 4-diode bridges (one for each transformer) as well as a pair of them just downstream of the analogue transformer's diode bridge. No problems and it made a SIGNIFICANT improvement in sound...
  8. G

Diode Compatibilty

does that mean that i would be safe using the UF4002 schottky's (Vrrm=100Vdc)?
  9. G

Diode Compatibilty

That is unfortunate. Some of the diodes that I need to replace have a Vrrm of 400Vdc. I just checked (not an exhaustive search), and 200Vdc was the highest that I found.
  10. G

Diode Compatibilty

I want to upgrade the rectifying diodes in a cd player to schottky's. What are the critical characteristics that MUST be matched? Is the Vr max (DC reverse maximum voltage) something that needs to be matched or is this a safety factor that doesn't necessarily need to be matched (depending...
  11. G

1st Project / Disassemble CD Player???

Thanks for the offer, Collin but I do have a service manual already.
  12. G

What functions should I look for in a Mult-Meter

Right now, I'm modifying CD players but that will expand to other audio equipment as well as DIY builds. I am currently in the midst of modifying my 1st CD player, a Rotel RCD-955ax. I have another thread on this and am having issues (1st Project / Disassemble CD Player???) I already replaced...
  13. G

I double checked the diodes and they are all aligned properly. There were a few questionable solder joints so I desoldered and resoldered them. The volume is still extremely faint. The fact that I can hear SOMETHING seems like a good thing but I'm not sure how to proceed. I plan on getting...
  14. G

What functions should I look for in a Mult-Meter

So I am going to get a multi-meter and want to know what functions should I look for in one? How important is being able to read capacitance? Are there any brand names that I should be limiting my search too?
  15. G

I just noticed your offer to send some 8-pin DIP sockets. Yes, I would definitely like some...

I just noticed your offer to send some 8-pin DIP sockets. Yes, I would definitely like some (anywhere from 2-6). How much do you want for them and how should I go about paying you? Also, thanks for your response about the double checking the solder and direction on the diodes. I will be...
  16. G

I read somewhere that the "feather" buttons can go bad after a while and replacements are very...

I read somewhere that the "feather" buttons can go bad after a while and replacements are very difficult to find. If the only problem is the switch, then if you can't find a replacement (I'm not sure where to look), then you could try to find a broken 730 somewhere. But obviously these are rare...
  17. G

Hello all, I like the tangential discussion. but I'm hoping I can get some more assistance regarding the original thread. Last night I finally disassembled the Rotel 955ax. I just unscrewed everything and left the transformer, fuse and output jacks attached to the board. I replaced...
  18. G

Maddeningly intermittent Adcom tuner

I bought a GTP-500 MK1 a while back with a bad FM tuner section. I read somewhere that the trimmer capacitor is a known issue and that replacing it fixes many of the FM issues. If this is true, I suspect that other Adcom tuners have the same issue.
  19. G

Oops. I posted the disregard statement in the wrong thread. This is the correct thread please read and comment.
  20. G

Please continue to read and comment. I had to edit this entry because it went in the wrong thread.
  21. G

I have accumulated more than a half-dozen cd players over the past year with the intentions of modding them and after months of procrastinating, I'm actually starting my first project. I think I'm starting with the Rotel 955ax with the TDA1541A chip. I've spent a lot of time reading and...
  22. G

PS capacitors (filter, reservoir, smoothing...)

I am trying to learn how to read audio schematics and identify various devices (especially capacitors) and their functions within the circuit. I have read people referring to power supply capacitors as low-pass filters, reservoir caps & smoothing caps. Are these all different terms for the...
  23. G

Nakamichi CA-5 MKII - Remote Power Suppy?

I just bought a Nakamichi CA-5 ii. It sounds awesome with my PA-5. After examining the back of the unit, next to the IEC connector for the AC power cord, there is another connector that is labeled remote power supply. The owners manual says that it is for the SPC-1 power strip (see photo...
Back
Top Bottom