Search results

1. janikphoto

JBL L3 Surprise!

Such an interesting find! I’m refurbishing these JBL L3 speakers, and I was pulling the rubber grille grommets. Behind one on each cabinet, I found a serial number sticker that matched the serial number sticker on the back. It was just sitting behind the grommet in the hole, like a fortune...
  2. janikphoto

Rebuilding a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls

Here’s a side by side of the finisher speaks and how they originally looked! Actually, they looked worse, as they had 1970s era brass casters/wheels on them and a bunch of dust! Now to start the second one… what did I do? Mahogany veneer, upgraded crossovers, bi-amp capability with a new set...
  3. janikphoto

Tandberg TR-2080 preamp help?

I picked up a 2080 the other day, took a gamble on it I tested for $200. I figured I could get my money back out of it, even if I just parted it out. Well, the right channel works. The left doesn’t... kind of. If I run a signal straight into the amp side when I remove the jumpers, both play...
  4. janikphoto

HK CD191 speed issue?

I grabbed a Harman Kardon CD191 cassette deck to fix up for a friend who wants to dabble in cassettes. If was free deck, and good for a starter. The belts are good and I got it to play a tape, but there was a bad hum. I looked at the power supply caps and they were not pretty. I replaced...
  5. janikphoto

Akai hiss in right channel?

I’ve got an Akai AA-1050 that looks clean and sounds clean... except for a hiss in the right channel. What would cause that?!?
  6. janikphoto

Nikki help?

I’ve got a Nikko NR-719 which ran fine for several years. It recently stated acting up in one channel. The left Chanel sounds like the bass is all distorted. The last piece of get I had something like this happen to (and Audiosource amp), I spotted a cap that was leaking. I replaced it, and...
  7. janikphoto

Audio Technica LS500 stylus suggestions?

Ive got an AT-125LC that plays very well, and I know there are a few other stylus options that will fit it. I’ve also got this LS500, which I know is a good option. But, it needs a stylus. Are there any optional models to look at, or is the LS500 stylus my only option for this cart?
  8. janikphoto

Ortofon on a 1019?

I picked up a really clean Dual 1019, and it has an Ortofon OM5e, which seems like a terrible matchup. Shouldn’t the 1019 avoid a low mass cart? It likes the heavy dudes, right?
  9. janikphoto

Ampex amps?

I have a line on a pair of these little Ampex 2012 tube amps, but I can’t find much info on them... reviews, thoughts on possible mods, value, etc. there’s one on eBay, but that doesn’t really give me any review or upgrade possibilities. Soooo... anyone have or had a pair? (ebay pic for...
  10. janikphoto

Ortodoncia on a Dual 1019?!?

I picked up a really clean 1019, and it has an Ortofon OM5e, which seems like a terrible matchup. Shouldn’t the 1019 avoid a low mass cart? It likes the heavy dudes, right?
  11. janikphoto

JBL 18” neo drivers?!?

Like I need another project... but, the idea of building something around the JBL 2268HPL is so tempting! It’ll handle 35hz to around 1khz, so a three-way system would be in order. Has anyone else played with these before...
  12. janikphoto

Thoughts on the IMF TLS50?

Not looking at value so much, as I know it’s affected by geography, and I’ve read several posts that reference the 50... but, the people who are familiar with the IMF line may be able to answer a question. I can get a pair, I’ll need to source a new woofer for one. If I get them back to...
  13. janikphoto

Dual 1009 vs 1009sk plugs?

I’ve had a 1009 in storage for years. It looks clean, but it doesn’t have a power plug. I recently got a super rough 1099sk, which I know is a somewhat different model with a few parts that aren’t interchangeable. I want to dig out the 1009, if the power cord and little connector will unplug...
  14. janikphoto

Capital A logo?

anyone know this logo? It’s not Allison. What other A brands are there?
  15. janikphoto

Dynaco PAT-5 headphones output?

I’ve got a pat-5 that came with a stack of other Dynaco gear. I was testing it tonight, and it lights up. However, I didn’t get sound through the headphone jack. I haven’t run the outputs into an amp yet. My pat-4 worked just fine, and I assumed the 5 would just swap right in... nope. Where...
  16. janikphoto

JBL E110 8ohms in a transmission line?

I know it’s really a midbass driver, but does anyone know how the e110 would sound in doing bass duty in a transmission line cabinet?
  17. janikphoto

Bluetooth or WiFi speakers in every room?

what is a good way to go, if I want wireless music to play in the living room, play on the vintage system in the game room, and maybe even have a portable option to move outside on nice days? Should I look at all-in-one Bluetooth speakers, or is there away to incorporate more vintage audio into...
  18. janikphoto

Home theater speaker placement?

has anyone tried their center channel ABOVE the television?
  19. janikphoto

JBL Cinema speakers?

anyone have apair of these CS3115 speakers? I’m curious if they do well as an audiophile speaker.
  20. janikphoto

Miles Davis reel?

I spotted this tonight... it’s not a question about price/value/buying/selling, so I’d prefer if this doesn’t get moved to the bartertown section. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264059876029 It’s labeled as a Miles Davis rehearsal from the...
  21. janikphoto

Wall mounts for M&K speakers?

I want to mount the M&K L, C, and R speakers on the wall at the new house. They simply sat on a console at the last house. What mounts should work best with these heavy little guys?
  22. janikphoto

What to do with this iron?

I got this for a dollar today. I’m not sure what the piece originally did, but I saw the giant transformers and a spot for a 12ax7 tube... I was hoping these could make a nice hifi tube amp. Besides checking the thing for continuity on my meter, what else should I do to better understand what...
  23. janikphoto

ID this chassis?

Went to an audio hoarder’s estate sale today. I picked up this chassis. It reminded me of some of the old Knight amps I’ve seen in the past. They had a ton of old pieces just piled up in the back yard, pulled from a shed. On a side note, the worker said someone pulled a McIntosh amp from the...
  24. janikphoto

Otari question...

any reason why I should avoid getting an Otari MX5050bII to replace my current Teac 10” player? I know Otari is one of the Studio standard brands.
  25. janikphoto

Magnapan problems?

I know some of the earliest Magnepan speakers have several issues with the tweeter filament needingbto be reglued, but what kind of issues should I expect with a pair of SMGb speakers?
Back
Top Bottom