Search results

1. V

Vintage amps getting more expensive to purchase , everywhere ! my rant .

You're the one BUD . You attacked me . Get it right . What makes you an authority on anything other that disrespecting forum members . You're simply a troll on these forums . You come on here simply to disrespect others . I've fed into what trolls like you crave . This is my last comment to you...
  2. V

There's some great stuff coming from China but there's also some garbage . And this hobby is definitely for me and I'm going nowhere anytime soon guy . Such vitrial !
  3. V

Nice equipment is a term that I use to describe very good electronics . As far as size goes I actually purchased a Pioneer SX-1980 from the Salvation Army 10 years ago that supposedly didn't work . They wanted it out of there because it was taking up space . I actually paid $40 for that one ...
  4. V

Sansui 3000A receiver feedback .

I'm looking to purchase this receiver from a local seller . I read once that these receivers required a mod that would keep them from damaging your loudspeakers . The seller said the receiver has been setting up for years and he hasn't ever played it . The amp is built like a tank but I don't...
  5. V

There was a time I could purchase a nice silver faced receiver in my area for a price of $5 to $15 , regardless of size . That was about 9 years ago . The people who sold them thought of the equipment as old and antiquated and was happy to get rid of it ; working or not . For the most part I...
  6. V

Solid state amp sound : Vintage transistors vs ICs

Can someone chime in on this one . Do transistor type amps sound better than those that use the majority of ICs ? What do you think about the sound of either type ? Why do you prefer it ? Comments appreciated . Thanks
  7. V

Suggestions for capacitor coupled receivers .

I love the warm and rich sound of my Pioneer SX-626 receiver . I was told by the tech who refurbished the receiver that it sounds that way because it's capacitively coupled at the output ? whatever that means . All I know is I really love the richness of the sound , especially with my fully...
  8. V

Can you identify this 3-way vintage speaker ?

This speaker was for sale a few days ago at the local goodwill . I didn't purchase it because the cabinet was damaged . Today I see the same speaker online . I love the sound of speakers with all paper drivers . Does anyone have a clue who made this speaker .
  9. V

Tool suggestions for a novice

Just a novice here looking to recap a few vintage receivers I own . I'm open to recommendations of a good variable temperature soldering station that works really well for for the jobs I have . Not looking for expensive pro stuff . Also looking for a good capacitor meter that measures a wide...
  10. V

Cleaning a dirty receiver in the shower

I saw a video recently on YouTube where this guy actually took a vintage receiver and showered the thing in a home shower . He removed the tuner section and transformer , added some soap and flooded the receiver in a stream of water . Some time later he posted the results in a second video after...
  11. V

How much electricity do vintage amps consume just idling ?

I was seriously interested in a small class A integrated amp ( Sugden ) but since getting info on their power consumption I think I'll stick with class AB and tripaths . I didn't realize class A amps drew so much electricity from the wall socket . Wow ! talk about power hogs !
  12. V

How much electricity do vintage amps consume just idling ?

You have three different integrated amp types #1. 30 watt class A #2. 30 watt class AB #3. 30 watt class D Can someone elaborate on how much juice these amps would consume just idly sitting there , powered on of course and volume at 1/4 . I read recently that some of the tripath amps can...
  13. V

Static shock when touching receiver (winter low humidity)

I know exactly what you're going through . I have an integrated amp that zaps me like crazy when it was cold . Those zaps can be really unnerving , they never cause pain or anything , it's just the surprise factor . It's not cool having to sneak up on your amp just to turn it on and hope not to...
  14. V

How to get that smooth , frictionless feel back to controls

I used some Radio Shack type electronics control cleaner on my JVC A-x404 integrated amp . It cleaned the scratchy sound from the balance slider control but the problem now is it no longer has that smooth feel to it . This stuff literally removed whatever was there that allowed the frictionless...
  15. V

Trouble shooting Altec 704 receiver , right channel noise

I connected this receiver to a pair of Dynaco A-25 speakers the other day . This little amp is auditorium musical and smooth . The only thing I hate is that the right channel has a noise in it , audible distortion . From my listening seat you can barely hear it at low volumes but when you turn...
  16. V

I experience static shock every time I play my JVC amp ?

Today is a lot warmer than yesterday here in central Louisiana . The amp didn't give off any static shock at all . The problem was definitely due to lack of humidity and listening in a cold room . Lesson learned , vintage amps and cold rooms produce static electricity . At least this one does ...
  17. V

The charge isn't a consistent thing . It will happen once but if I come back a few minutes later it will happen again . It's like the charge has to build up again . Do you think that isolating the amp from the glass surface with a piece of plywood underneath will help ?
  18. V

This is the craziest thing I've ever experienced . For the past several weeks whenever I turn my JVC ax-404 integrated amp on I experience a small static charge on my finger tips . You can even see the static electricity , especially when I adjust the volume . To be honest this is kind of nerve...
  19. V

Class A vs Class AB transistor amps , crossover distortion ?

I was told by a member on another audio forum that class AB amps perform just like class A amps at a certain level volume level . Anyone well versed in amp technology care to chime in . Is there any truth to the above state about class ab amps performing like class a amps ? What is that level ...
  20. V

Little Lepai tripath amps sounds fuller with Dynaco a25 speakers !

If these type amps can maintain this magic at higher powers I'll probably be going that route most definitely . This little amp sounds even better with my 94db efficient alnico loudspeakers . I think they work best with high efficient speakers . I'm amazed how musical these cheap amps sound ...
  21. V

Little Lepai tripath amps sounds fuller with Dynaco a25 speakers !

I've been listening to this little 20 watt tripath amp from a company called Lepai . I use it with a pair of Dynaco a25 loudspeakers . To be honest I'm amazed how smooth and musical this little thing sounds . I decided to do a simple test between it and a 40 watt JVC integrated amp and Audio...
  22. V

Klipsch Forte vs AR3's

I share the sentiment . Before I got my EPI-100's I would see them on Ebay and other sites with bastard woofers or tweeters . I wanted the real deal and simply passed on them . For someone looking for genuine stock this is the last thing they want to see in a vintage speaker . I'm sure...
  23. V

What's the most coherent sounding 2-way speakers you've ever heard ?

If you had to compile a list of the most coherent sounding 2-way loudspeakers you've ever heard what would it consist of ? My list is very short and includes two speaker systems that I currently own , Dynaco a25 and EPI-100 . I've found that even most modern hi fi loudspeakers don't blend and...
  24. V

Placing Dynaco a25 for best stereo imaging

I'm beginning to think that stereo imaging is not this speakers strong suit . I have a pair of EPI-100's in another room placed about 6 feet apart and 4 inches from the back wall , about 35degree toe in on each cabinet . My listening chair is the tip of the listening triangle about 8 feet from...
Back
Top Bottom