Search results

1. Bill in MD

What speakers to use for a very, very unusual audio setup

Okay, after a long gap here are a few follow-up details: The current two-channel amplifier is a Yorkville Professional Studio Reference amplifier, SR300 Reference Series. (The "original" seven-channel amp is gone, not to be seen again.) Opinions for this application? We're getting a certain...
  2. Bill in MD

I'm afraid I have absolutely no idea how this was done. The only other two Hauptwerk installations that I have seen differ markedly from one another: one uses an organ console such as we have, and the other uses a pair of MIDI keyboards.
  3. Bill in MD

It's an actual organ console from a dismantled instrument: a three-manual Moller from about 1971 that came out of a smallish church in Delaware (as I understand it).
  4. Bill in MD

Here's a little more info: the room is about 15 x 20, with a ceiling that's generally about 7 1/2 feet high but drops for a stretch to about 6 feet. Pertinent photos here: Spkr-1 by Bill in MD posted Apr 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Spkr-2 by Bill in MD posted Apr 15, 2017 at 4:21 PM Spkr-3 by Bill in...
  5. Bill in MD

When you say "keyboard(s)" do you mean on the organ console?
  6. Bill in MD

I have photos in "my media" but I can't figure out how to list them for y'all. I click the embed media button but although I can see them, they do not appear in this reply. How do I do that?
  7. Bill in MD

I should clarify that we do not plan to purchase anything new here, just use what's already on hand. That's not set in stone but it's not likely to happen.
  8. Bill in MD

Hi there: I'm back after a very long absence, and here’s the deal: My wife is a church organist. She recently obtained a practice-at-home instrument, configured to function via an application called Hauptwerk, which is essentially a pipe-organ simulator that allows you to “play” via a computer...
  9. Bill in MD

Does size matter?

My thanks for all responses so far! As noted, I am not kidding about the constraints I face. Another one that I realize I should have mentioned originally is that I cannot add any acoustic treatment to the room, which is the living room and therefore off-limits for that kind of thing. (Not to...
  10. Bill in MD

Does size matter?

Unfortunately, no--I am not kidding. Would that I were.
  11. Bill in MD

Does size matter?

Hi there: My wife (an organist/choral conductor) and I are kicking around the possibility of ditching the old Cerwin-Vegas in favor of something that's: Pretty small--longest dimension 12" max Able to go up around 6-7 feet above the floor As inexpensive as possible; college expenses are...
  12. Bill in MD

Gotta replace dead cans...

After doing a boatload of reading, I'm coming back to this thread just to clarify and emphasize that: 1) I do not want IEMs or anything like them; 2) the more outside noise is eliminated the better, whether through ANC or just really good isolation, but 3) I also do not expect complete removal...
  13. Bill in MD

Audiophile or Music Lover?

Me? I'm a badly outdated low-grade audiophile, and a very highly-trained musician. Audiophilia comes and goes from what I experience, but music...never. It is an essential and utterly indestructible part of who I am.
  14. Bill in MD

My thanks to everyone for your very helpful comments. I have a birthday coming up in September so maybe I'll put one or another of these on the list. --moi :tresbon:
  15. Bill in MD

I'm very careful about playback volume when using 'phones, and I do not expect to eliminate outside sounds, just reduce them enough that I can hear a solo violin reasonably well without getting blasted to kingdom come when the full orchestra comes barreling in, and without having to shove the...
  16. Bill in MD

By the way, even though I have never tried IEMs I would still prefer not to go that route if possible. My ear canals are on the narrow side, plus I just feel nervous about having anything jammed in there that generates sound so close to the receiving mechanisms. I am already plagued with a fair...
  17. Bill in MD

Aren't Senns non-isolating? I understand they're an open design, not closed. (And I am not very interested in how things look...since I really don't much care about what people think of how I look. I want things to work well for what I'm after. So there, public-at-large. :banana:)
  18. Bill in MD

Uuhh, I'm sorry to say I dunno what IEMs are...
  19. Bill in MD

Hi there: After a lot of poking around in various forums trying to figure out which way to go, here's my question. I had a pair of what seemed like pretty good no-name noise-canceling headphones (branded Brookstone but obviously they didn't make 'em) that died a while back. So I'm looking to...
  20. Bill in MD

JBL Lancer S99s: what to do?

I figured that outdoors, even on the screened porch, was not the best idea but I figured I may as well run it by folks here to see for sure. The whole question of re-foaming is completely new to me...is there a page or a thread here that describes what's involved, so that I could figure out if I...
  21. Bill in MD

I'm back, and I've thought of a second possible place to put them: on the screened porch, for outdoor listening. They would again be on the (brick) wall 3-4 feet up, under cover, and I could close things up when the weather gets bad since rain could certainly blow in to a degree. My questions...
  22. Bill in MD

I want to move some air around today. Anyone have any sugestions for organ track?

Oh yeah, the Toccata from the Fifth Symphony by Widor. Forgot to mention that one too...boatloads of recordings out there. Pick one that's on the longer side; you'll lose a lot of detail if the performance is too fast. Bill
  23. Bill in MD

I want to move some air around today. Anyone have any sugestions for organ track?

Search iTunes for a title called Glagolitic Mass; the composer is a man named Janacek but for some reason iTunes doesn't like giving results for his name. Anyway, movement 7, Organ Solo or sometimes Varhany Solo (in Czech) will more than do the trick for you. There are a bunch of organ...
  24. Bill in MD

Hi there: I recently acquired these babies from my father; he bought them new in about 1971 (I well remember going with him to the shop to audition and buy the whole system). The little I've had a chance to read on them seems to say the woofers aren't up to snuff anymore, just due to the effects...
  25. Bill in MD

Hi from Baltimore

Hi there: I've just joined up, and look forward to learning a little about a lot. I don't have much time to do serious listening anymore, but I used to be pretty up on a lot of this stuff...I guess that makes me a vintage person!
Back
Top Bottom