Search results

1. dpastern

Taylor Swift joins BMI to sue Idaho bar

And the funny thing is, the manners of most of the posters in this thread are disgraceful. I didn't see one single apology for casting aspersions on her character. FWIW - artists don't get a choice when it comes to copyright issues etc - their contracts force them into it. Now, if you had the...
  2. dpastern

And the Grammy for album of the year goes to...

Gee, Taylor bashing much? talk about some ad hominem attacks. At least she's not shagging guys and making videos out of it, or doing drugs like some others. Or severely weird like Lady GaGa. I guess your parents didn't tell you that if you didn't have something nice to say, then don't say...
  3. dpastern

One more reason...

Gee nice much? Taylor's great - she's not the best singer, but she's not the worst. She can play guitar, and she has a good head for songs and lyrics. She's pretty good live, and she loves her fans. She has a wicked sense of humour, and she's quite down to earth by all accounts. I...
  4. dpastern

Royaly F***ed up Albums

How so? Dave
  5. dpastern

Photoshop and Plug-Ins

Agreed. I prefer to try and limit filters to sharpening. Dave
  6. dpastern

Does Anyone Have This Lens?

Nah, let her be a kid. Modelling will only turn her into an adult much sooner than she should be imho, and won't be healthy for her. She's cute, has great photogenic potential. Dave
  7. dpastern

My New D700

Congrats, it's an awesome camera! Dave
  8. dpastern

V8 supercar shot (gold coast) Australia

I'm really an open wheeler fan (F1) myself, but I don't mind the touring cars. The tracks are OK, but not really designed to give the opportunity to overtake your fellow competitors. And from the spectators point of view, it could be done far better than it currently is. Wires are not pretty...
  9. dpastern

Oh I love motorsport, but modern tracks are crap :/ Dave
  10. dpastern

Yup. Manual focus, pre set. Was made harder, cos different cars would take different lines and ther was no real quick way of changing focus between each car that would pass, you had to wait for the next lap, and you'd find the same driver line variability agian. I ended up setting my focus...
  11. dpastern

Taken on the Sunday, back straight, late in the race. They're doing around 300kph here by the looks of it. I don't do much motor sport or panning, so was pretty happy with this. Did a HDR take on this (just bought photomatix), was pretty happy with the result. Dave edit: No, I couldn't...
  12. dpastern

M42 (Messier 42) - Great Orion nebula

It's the same thing that your DSLR does with a bayer filter, but it's done manually in most cases with astro images. You can get colour CCD sensors that do it all in 1 hit for you, but most guys doing it LRGB (and add h alpha or O III or silicon II filters if needed to extract data at those...
  13. dpastern

I hired a scope from www.lightbuckets.com (LSB002) - it's a 8" newtonian f4 astrograph, so yes, I'd say it's very similar. You mount the camera at prime focus (i.e. no eyepieces), using a T adaptor. The T adaptor basically goes straight into the eyepiece barrel. Alignment - you need to do...
  14. dpastern

Nah. Think of it like colour printing, where you have developers/fixers for RGB. Same sort of process, but digital. There's the free deepskystacker software which can stack images. You can save them as .fit format files and open them using the free fits application that integrates into...
  15. dpastern

www.lightbuckets.com Dave
  16. dpastern

Both! Night 1 - 6 subs for Luminance channel, 120 secs apiece. 4 subs each of RGB, also 120 seconds apiece. These were combined using Maxim DL into image 1. With this image, the core was blown. Night 2 - 6 subs for Luminance channel, 6 seconds apiece. 4 subs each of RGB, also 6...
  17. dpastern

Thanks guys. Yes, lightbuckets.com is a telescope rental place - not cheap (cost me $50 AU to get this data), but it's well worth it. Customer service is TOP notch too. Very highly recommended. Dave
  18. dpastern

data taken with one of the Lightbuckets automated scopes for hire (8" astrograph). Composite of subs from 2 different nights, one for the fainter outer nebula sections and one for the brighter core section. My first real attempt at astro imaging processing. I used Maxim DL and...
  19. dpastern

Thinking of some full range horn speakers

I like the idea of the BIBs, especially the one by nordhaven. The problem I forsee is my room - OK, here's the deal. I live at home, with my parents. My mother is extremely difficult in regards to hi fi and speaker siting. Whilst I can site speakers against the wall (which is actually what...
  20. dpastern

Well, here's the problem: I've been bitten by the valve bug. Yes. The SET valve bug. These amps do *so* much right. I can't believe that a compromise between SET and speakers, and at an affordable price cannot be done. I'm not so certain I understand what you mean by "beam your ears out"...
  21. dpastern

I wouldn't call the Sonus Faber's inferior at all. Sound quality wise I love them. I just suspect that the SET amps are not powerful enough to take fully advantage of these speakers. I suspect that I'd have to spend quite a fair bit of money on a new horn speaker to equal the sound quality of...
  22. dpastern

No, haven't looked into Pi speakers, never heard of them before, but will investigate. I was also considering a pair of Zu Druids, but I've heard that they can be ultra bright and you either love or hate them. So, I'm being cautious. Why SET? I'm a firm believer that PP by design mangles...
  23. dpastern

I do have a powered sub - REL Stadium II, which I use with my Sonus Fabers atm. I was intending to continue to use the sub with the back loaded horns that I'd looked at. I don't expect super low/loud bass from the horns I was considering. I wanted smooth treble and detailed and forward...
  24. dpastern

OK. So, either I keep my Sonus Fabers and solid state amps and ditch the 845 SETs (which I'd prefer not to do), or rent a house by myself with with 4 times the room (not financially feasible), or get a mortgage for a house with 4 times the room (again, not feasible), or consider non horn...
Back
Top Bottom