Search results

1. B

My new Hawthorne Audio Duets

Nice speakers BruenoB! I too have a pair of Duets I built myself. I have the PSI's . . . but for the money I would have to conclude that they are overachievers :D Yep, the new Reference speakers from Hawthorne are ripper. Spent quite a bit of time in the room at Akfest. I was surprised at...
  2. B

A Note from Darrel Hawthorne

Very cool Darrel! Moving' on up . . . :music:
  3. B

SMAC January 2012

Probably me :D Thanks. I found it on Amazon when I returned home Saturday.
  4. B

Maybe we could go up to Hawthorn for the next meet

Of course I would be up for that trip! I own some of Darrel's homebrew "Duets." Would I would really be interested in hearing, is the new AMT based system he has cooked up. Looks vaarweee interesting :yes: http://www.hawthorneaudio.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3850
  5. B

APPJ PA0901 A (Miniwatt N3)

Hey Kenny, Yep, I bought all speaker components (drivers, crossovers) from Hawthorne. I did it in stages tho. I first purchased the coaxials and put them on a very simple (i.e. a piece of plywood) and short baffle. You can see this first effort on my homepage. The coaxs can make...
  6. B

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

:tongue:
  7. B

Show us your DIY speaker projects!

Wow, some really nice work here . . . . . . I humbly submit my "franken-baffles." :D Hawthorne Audio coaxials, with Augie woofers. I also had a little fun with the grills.
  8. B

APPJ PA0901 A (Miniwatt N3)

I've owned my N3 since early '09, and have about a year on this unit. Operation has been flawless so far. I use it to drive my 15" coxials (Hawthorne Audio). Their average sensitivity I believe is around 95db. The MiniWatt can drive them with authority . . . surprising really, since I am...
  9. B

List the top 3 best sounding speakers you have ever owned.

#1 Hawthorne Audio open baffles (currently own and my favorites) :music: #2 Klipsch La Scala #3 Klipsch Forte
  10. B

SMAC July 2011

Local SMAC meeting! Hmmm, 10 minute drive :scratch2: Yeah count me in!
  11. B

Vintage Crown equipment in the house

Very nice :yes: !!! Love those vintage Crowns. Have a couple myself :thmbsp:.
  12. B

Ge 7710

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I hope to have this beast running some day. I paid next to nothing for it, so like I said, this will be a long term project. No hurry :tongue:. So . . . any ideas what it would take to get it running? Cost wise? You know, worst case vs. best case scenario?
  13. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Yeah, I'm fairly sensitive to high freqs, considering I'm over 40 :tongue:. I've owned a few mid-fi speakers such as Monitor Audio and Ascend Acoustics, and thought that both could be a bit "bright" at times. I've also owned Klipsch Fortes and La Scalas, and surprisingly they were much more...
  14. B

Ge 7710

Hey Jon, thanks for the info! I haven't even plugged it in :D. That'll have to wait until I learn a little more . . . I see this as a looooong term project!
  15. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Hey Dennis. I too, prefer my baffles naked. The grills serve to keep the drivers invisible . . . you know; out of site out of mind . . . especially the curious minds of 3 and 4 year old grand children!!! The volume of the tweets seem about right. Interesting, some material, I like them...
  16. B

Ge 7710

I found this at an antique store. There was a tag on it for $5. Also, the tag said "Will not power up." It looks like moisture may have gotten to it, although the exterior is in very good shape. Not sure what to do with it at this point. I would like to learn more about tubes/electronics...
  17. B

Finished My Open Baffles

So I had decided when I built these that I wanted to add some grills. I already had brown speaker cloth . . . looking for a vintage look :D. So I had a little fun with them :thmbsp: Hey djn . . . yesterday I finally got around to hooking up the tweets you lent me. Right now I...
  18. B

SMAC May 2011

I don't know, that MiniWatt is awfully heavy :tongue: I'm sure it'll show up at another time . . . :thmbsp:
  19. B

SMAC May 2011

Well, as a first time visitor to a SMAC get together; I must say . . . pretty impressive. The atmosphere was relaxed, the beverages tasty, and our host a gentleman and a scholar :D. Thanks Jim! Oh, and there was some audio equipment there too :tongue: The Zus' were sounding pretty...
  20. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Sounds good to me . . . see ya Saturday.
  21. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Hey Jeffery . . . what are you trying to say :tongue:? Really though, I caught that drift. So, tonight they go in!!! Also, just to see what would happen. I removed the MiniWatt, and inserted the second PS-400. It's all vintage solid state now, and I must say it sounds good. I'm going...
  22. B

SMAC May 2011

Hi folks! New SMAC member here. Barring any catastrophe I will be at the Saturday meeting, and really look forward to meeting some fellow audio nuts, and hearing some of these fine systems posted on these forums. I would like to bring my open baffles, but alas, they will not fit in my...
  23. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Well, I am now a SMAC member, and got the ok from the "boss" to attend Saturday's meeting . . . so see you there!
  24. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Hey DJN, that's a generous offer. I live in Marysville (Port Huron area) . . . hmmm, might be in Fraser next week, could be worth a trip to Bloomfield. Well, if time permits, I just might take you up on that :yes:. Hi Vaughn. I use a vintage Crown PS-400 amp and Ashly active crossover for...
  25. B

Finished My Open Baffles

Thanks guys, appreciate the comments! I need to get out more . . . would love to hear some of these systems y'all own :yes:. Yep, I have the Eminence tweeter in mine too. It's really a pretty good driver, especially when you consider that they cost $29 a piece. But I would agree that...
Back
Top Bottom