Search results

1. madmonda

CL alert - No affiliation

W70's for $85. Can be found on delaware's Craigslist... They appear to be in very good shape. Don't send me any questions about them, I have zero affiliation with the seller. Just thought someone in the area (besides myself :)) would be interested. How do I edit the thread title? Guess I...
  2. madmonda

Wish me luck...ratty MCS 3125

I acquired this mcs3125 almost a year ago. I inspected it when I first got it and it was appearent that it was driven hard and put up wet. It was a piss and sh*t bed for mice (lots of turds inside and piss ruined top vent). The amp boards look corroded as well as the chassis and a few other...
  3. madmonda

wharfedale woofer surround - reseal?

I recently aquired a pair of w90's and noticed my woofers do not have any sealant on the cloth surrounds. No residue, no clues to having ever been sealed, nothing. I searched the web and find many references to AR speakers, but haven't come across any info on wharfedales. How do your woofers...
  4. madmonda

DIYer's - Overnight Sensations

I've built these incredible speakers over 3-4 yrs ago. They've never failed to impress. I used to have them in my old office for nearfield listening & they can get downright spooky with their ability of depth, soundstage, and clarity at nearfield settings. Since I have plenty of other larger...
  5. madmonda

DMV folks...Where you at?

Any outstanding audio guys in the maryland, dc, virginia area? Somebody is beating me to the deals. Where u at? Lets get something going on down here like they do in the dallas area!
  6. madmonda

Score! Wharfedale w90's

Scored a pair off fleabay for 86 bucks! Picked them up yesterday. I'm sure they wouldve sold for more if it weren't so close to christmas time. The seller says that one of the woofers may not be operating correctly. Nice and solid construction. I beleive they are earlier models. I still...
  7. madmonda

Rogers Studio 1A & Technics- Any Good Ballpark Used Price Guesses?

How much would a very nice, original owner pair (possibly w/ packing and manuals) fetch on the used market? How about some Technics SB-7000's? Lastly, which of the two would be a better choice. My music tastes are all over the map. My room is a finished basement (medium sized listening...
  8. madmonda

Future audio gems

There are coveted audio items of yesteryear (yamaha 3020, sansui 9090, kenwood supreme 500/600, Mcintosh, Marantz, etc) that still can compete with today's gear. What current gear made within the past 10 years (give this your best magic ball prediction), will be the next batch of coveted...
  9. madmonda

Dahlquist DQ-10 vs new Magnepan MMG...opinions needed

I have a pair of original, matched (with the 'newer' yellow caps) DQ-10's. I also have the matching sub and passive crossover. I've been getting the itch for something new. For some reason (probably time for a recap), the 10's aren't hitting the sweet spot like they used to. I don't use them...
  10. madmonda

General Biasing Question - When New Devices are Subbed in Place of Old

I've been reading up on biasing tube amps lately, because I have one that I suspect could be 'tuned-up' a little bit better (new but same type tubes; different manufacturer than original). The articles that I've read, says that you should re-bias the tube amp, or at least remeasure the bias...
  11. madmonda

Luxman R-117 Owners...Stand Up!

Man this thing is sounding really sweet right now. The hype is real folks! I've been through a lot of 'heavyweights' (denon pma900v, sansui 8080, au-517 & 719, realistic sta2100 & 2000), and this Lux is sounding really good. I'm having a hard time taking it out of rotation. It's sitting...
  12. madmonda

Cerwin Vega 217R...What Do I Have Here?

I got a pair of Cerwin Vega 217R's off the bay for a 'luckily', good price. I say luckily, because there wasn't much info to go off of before purchase and...they sound damn nice! The put my Bozaks 302's too shame and are giving my dq-10's a run for their money (and they are no where near the...
  13. madmonda

A+++ For the Good 'ol Realistic STA-2100 !!!

I've been on a feverish dash trying to find the right amp for my Dahlquist DQ-10's (without matching sub or crossover). I even started to sell/thin my heard of spare receivers and amps. I thought I'd save enough to get a hold of a Bryston 3 or 4 or Soundcraftsman ma-5002 (on the high $-side)...
  14. madmonda

Can You List Your Past Gear?...

Can you list all of the audio gear that has come and gone from your possession? Why do I ask? The time has jumped forward...it's almost 3 in the morning, although my clocks still says its almost 2 in the morn' ( I need to go to bed, but wifey hasn't complained about the volume yet :)...I'm...
  15. madmonda

Are Your Potentiometers Really Clean?

I have a semi-modded dynaco pas-3 (recently acquired). I ran across this thread today while getting my daily AK dose: http://audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=570904 Exceptional work indeed! I posted the question for a tutorial on cleaning potentiometers, as my dynaco...
  16. madmonda

My Very First Time Hearing Pink Floyd DSOTM

I grew up in the 'hood' of inner city Philadelphia. Absolutely nothing nice about it. I'm 40 yrs old and grew up in the golden years of hip hop. My parents were heavy into R&B and I listen to alot of classic R&B...old school hip hop as well. I went into the military almost 20 yrs ago...
  17. madmonda

Question - T-amp Power Ratings? R They Realistic?

I've been pondering about possibly purchasing some t-amps. I recently purchased a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10's and I don't have any amps/receivers that do them justice power-wise. There may be the chance to obtain a t-amp rated at 300wpc (4 ohms) and 150 wpc (8 ohms). How realistic are...
  18. madmonda

Sansui 1010 - What's the scoop?

Bought a 1010 off the 'bay shortly after lunch today. It had a buy it now price just shy of 20 bucks and a shipping price just shy of 20 bucks. The seller listed it as having no audio output. Simple fix? Maybe it was over exerted. I've found it's only 8 WPC. But that'll be 8 fabulous...
  19. madmonda

AU-555a - Victim of Assault

Link to original/added photos: http://s287.photobucket.com/user/madmonda/slideshow/Sansui%20Au-555a. I acquired a AU-555a recently. It was in reported working condition, recapped, minus one channel. Not a problem, I say to myself. Upon receipt, I plug into the bulb tester and no apparent...
  20. madmonda

Pilot Rack System? and Dahlquist-DQ10's

I was on another "gonna get some new speakers" mission on Monday. After retrieving my prize and heading home, I stopped in a random thrift store. The store was huge. After making my way to the back, I see a glass door, with some silver inside. I get closer and thought that I must've hit pay...
  21. madmonda

Letting the cat out the bag...

Now that I own one, I'll let the cat out of the bag... the Denon PMA900V is a incredible piece of audio hardware. I hooked it up for a quick listen and immediately pulled the sansui au-517 out of service. The denon is untouched minus 3 replaced resistors, 2 replaced transistors and a bias...
  22. madmonda

S.O.S*** AU-719 Protection Mystery - I'm Stumped!

I'm officially head over heels trying to troubleshoot the protection circuit on my au-719. I received it with blown outputs. Of course, the dim bulb tester was glowing very brightly upon initial plug-in. With the driver boards removed, the amp came out of protection, but it took a very long...
  23. madmonda

Enough is ENOUGH !!!!

OK, enough is enough. I'm tired of buying stray amps and receivers, with high hopes and expectations. Sometimes it's based off advice and praises of so called "audiophiles" with years of vast experience. It sounds so tube-like, it's sounds like a veil has been lifted, blazay, blah... Only...
  24. madmonda

kenwood ka-6004 - bias adjustment

Would any of you Kenwood guru's know where to set the bias at on a ka-6004? It was set at 50ish mA when I got it. I've since set the bias at 10mA (no load, on aux, volume at zero, and measured across emitter resistors - correct?). The dc checked out borderline during initial testing. The...
  25. madmonda

Yeeaaaahhh - I've made my donation!

Firstly, thanks to all the helpful people on this wonderful site. I've learned a ton of useful information reading through posts. Whether just browsing or doing homework on my next vintage purchase, this board has been extremely valuable. I repaired/restored quite a few old gems with this...
Back
Top Bottom