Search results

1. tomlinmgt

Just how many levels of DACs are there?? (Help me to get my next DAC)

If all you ever used are delta sigma DAC's, it might be worth your time and money to give a ladder DAC a try...a Denafrips product being the most obvious choice because of their widespread praise and reasonable cost. I went through several better than decent midfi DAC's...Grant Fidelity Tube...
  2. tomlinmgt

multi material bass traps

What you're getting into with the introduction of a rigid or semi rigid membrane is a pressure based trap rather than a velocity based trap (which is what porous/broadband absorbers are). Diaphragmatic/membrane traps are designed/tuned to target a narrow range of frequencies...so you can't...
  3. tomlinmgt

High fidelity in former church building

I think you're right to assume any refinements offered by consumer hifi over pro audio will be lost on the big room acoustics. Modern, large worship halls where a lot of live music is performed have extensive acoustic treatments and design elements in the construction that help ameliorate the...
  4. tomlinmgt

Aerial Acoustic 10t opportunity...too little, too late?

Well, some five years later, I'm finally going to try a pair of 10t's (mkII). I never lost the hankering for a pair, and a nearly mint Rosewood set with all the accessories and original boxes popped up for an irresistible price. Courier just picked them up in Tennessee and they will arrive here...
  5. tomlinmgt

Can a pro audio subwoofer be used with an AVR???

Indeed they are. Everything is up and running and whoo boy can this set up KICK! It's got plenty of clean output (110 db) at modest gain settings so there's a good bit of headroom left. They aren't seismic with the really low stuff, but they rumble pretty good, the chest thump is excellent and...
  6. tomlinmgt

KLH Models 23, 17, 6

I've never thought of providing a heat sink between solder joint and cap and this is the first I've seen the practice mentioned, but sounds like a good idea in theory. Would a simple alligator clip between the solder joint and cap be a suitable heat sink or what do you use?
  7. tomlinmgt

Need inexpensive 15" LF replacement drivers for 4638 cabinet...

Excellent info.. thanks. My friend will be using a 130wpc Pioneer AVR to power the mains and handle high pass/low pass duties between subs and mains. Got a Crown XLS 402 for the bass bins which will deliver 400wpc @4 and also has a high pass switch for 30 Hz to help protect the drivers since...
  8. tomlinmgt

If they're 8 ohm I might be interested for my own 4648's. Mine are 16 ohm versions so they present an 8 ohm load to the amp. I'd like to present a 4 ohm load to get more juice out of the amp that's driving the pair of cabinets. I need four 2226's, but I'll take what I can get if it's a good deal.
  9. tomlinmgt

I suppose I could plug a port or extend the ports to get some more rumble. Looks like there's plenty of SPL output there such that sacrificing a little output for more low end extension wouldn't be a big deal.
  10. tomlinmgt

I emailed PE tech about whether or not the driver would do well in the JBL 4508 box and was told it will do well. He provided these results after he ran it through the modeling software.....
  11. tomlinmgt

Room Correction with Four Subs But One Stereo USB DAC?

I use a DSPeaker Anti-mode 8033s/II for my two subs (modified JBL 4648). This device is inserted between the preamp (my pre has dual outs but you could use a y-connector for single outs) and active crossover/plate amp so it's completely isolated from the signal going to the mains, leaving the...
  12. tomlinmgt

He's not after quality...not like you and I. I'm confident there's a path to bumping bass for a shop system that can be had on a budget. Can you tell my why the GRS drivers would not work? Four of those in two 8 cuft JBL enclosures and 300-400 wpc? Please show me what makes you think it can't be...
  13. tomlinmgt

Yep. I use a pair of 4648 bins in my system. Ports extended 7" lowers tuning frequency to around 32Hz but I'm getting an in room response that's pretty much flat down to 23Hz. And yeah, they deliver the goods. I'll look for one of those modeling programs...thanks! (Got one you recommend?).
  14. tomlinmgt

Yes...there is more than one available but the other looks a little beat up. If the price is right and it's structurally sound I may grab it anyway if these drivers will do well in the enclosure...they're inexpensive enough that adding a second bass bin would be a very affordable way to get him...
  15. tomlinmgt

Actually, he was given some Chorus II's by a friend/customer, but he's using those in the office system. For the shop he already has the Yamaha stage monitors which will get him all the SPL he needs above 60Hz. Final piece of the puzzle is the sub. Hoping to find some low budget but capable...
  16. tomlinmgt

Cute, but WAAAY out of budget.
  17. tomlinmgt

The Peavey sub I was considering has issues, but I've run across some empty JBL 4508 bass bins for a very nice price. Wondering if these GRS drivers would work in them (8cuft, 40Hz tuning frequency)... https://www.parts-express.com/GRS-15PT-8-15-Paper-Cone-Prosound-Woofer-3-Voice-Coil-8-Ohm-292-808
  18. tomlinmgt

I'm helping a friend set up a system for his 1800 sqft shop. He wants something like a small club would use and already has a pair of Yamaha 12" 2-way PA speakers that were given to him and now needs the low end covered. He's trying to do this as cheaply as possible and I've located an empty...
  19. tomlinmgt

Here WiiM go again...WiiM amp

Back around 2018 I needed a small, affordable and modestly powered integrated amp with a built in DAC, pre-outs/subwoofer out and Bluetooth for a secondary system using Klipsch Chorus II's. I picked up a $400 NAD 3020 v2 which was at the time all the rage in the hifi press, having won multiple...
  20. tomlinmgt

WiiM is putting some serious hurt on industry players.
  21. tomlinmgt

I'm super tempted to order one just to see how it sounds. With all the friends I have who have heard my system and want something for themselves...but not so badly that they're willing to shell out a grand and mess with all the different components...this may be the great facilitator. I see JBL...
  22. tomlinmgt

WiiM's new amp/streamer looks like it could be another home run. I'm a huge fan of my WiiM Pro and WiiM as a manufacturer (stellar product and customer support) and would be very surprised if this amp turns out to be a dud. The thing isn't exactly a powerhouse with 60wpc@8 continuous, but the...
  23. tomlinmgt

Early 1980s Music Videos Influence on the Era's Pop-Culture...

All that Priest, Maiden and Metallica on your list is what I had to learn to get into the band pictured above. That would've been early '85...and I was the youngest in the band by one to three years.
  24. tomlinmgt

Early 1980s Music Videos Influence on the Era's Pop-Culture...

Well, just to clear, she didn't think it sucked outright..just for dancing. But I get where you're coming from...by '87 I was pretty much done with the genre. I like revisiting it now just for the sake of sentiment, but it's far from my first choice when reaching for music to listen to. My wife...
Back
Top Bottom