Search results

1. undergroundr

Universal's audible watermarking of digital files

I hadn't seen this discussed here. I've noticed while listening to music on Rhapsody, particularly classical such as solo piano music, a fluttery distortion in some recordings and not in others. I had put it down to bit rate issues or gimpy audio conversion software, but it seems it's...
  2. undergroundr

Kenwood Basic M2A Recap

Thanks for posting this. Considering doing my M2 one of these days.
  3. undergroundr

Any "raw milk" drinkers here?

"Three quantitative microbial risk assessments (QMRAs) recently published in the Journal of Food Protection have demonstrated that unpasteurized milk is a low-risk food, contrary to previous, inappropriately-evidenced claims suggesting a high-risk profile."...
  4. undergroundr

Dave mathews band

My wife got me into DMB. As a progrock fan, Before These Crowded Streets really hit home. Quite an amazing, sprawling piece of work with lots of atmosphere and texture. We've gone to see them twice. Just a month ago, they were still tearing it up. Carter Beauford is really a special...
  5. undergroundr

Very true. Know your farmer.
  6. undergroundr

Here we go with the ad hominems. "Anti-science," "conspiracy wingnuts." Consider for a moment that there might be a distinction to be made between science and agro-lobbyist "research." Our family of six has been drinking raw milk exclusively for years. No doctor visits have been necessary...
  7. undergroundr

It IS what it is.

Steinway Hammond Moog
  8. undergroundr

Pioneer SE-2 "Mimmy" vintage cans

Oh, and WTH is a Mimmy?
  9. undergroundr

Pioneer SE-2 "Mimmy" vintage cans

These were an interesting find at an estate sale today. I probably paid five or ten bucks more than they're worth, but they were very hard to pass up. Almost unused and very attractive IMO. They're heavy of course, but reasonably comfortable. As of a few minutes' listening time on a...
  10. undergroundr

Yes - Fragile - Bad Pressing?

I have one of these. The run-out is ultra-thin on side B and it DOES NOT include the We Have Heaven reprise after Heart of the Sunrise. Is this a bit of an oddball? It does sound very bold with just a bit of crunch to the drums in places. A great listening experience, even after my 2-year old...
  11. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

I have a C1 as well. I was trying out the NAD as a preamp because the C1/M2 combo always seemed to have that same hardness. I've convinced myself it's something peculiar to my particular M2. Still, I was surprised when the NAD's amp section sounded so much better than the M2. My other...
  12. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

The NAD 7000 receiver is 40 wpc RMS into 8 ohms. No idea what it is into 4 ohms. Here's more blurb about it: "Specs: Power Envelope design yields extraordinary reserves of tone-burst power for music -- four to six times higher than the rate continuous power + 6db of IHF Dynamic Headroom...
  13. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

I haven't once been tempted to touch the tone controls since these entered my system. Just wonderful.
  14. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

Pandovski, You made a great point about the 4 ohm setting. Reading the brochure (http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/library/acoustic_research/add_series_1975-1978/add_series_brochures/ar-10pi_brochure/) it looks like they become 4 ohm speakers after switching all the eq toggles to 0 db. 16 ohm...
  15. undergroundr

Ever had one of those nights when you just could not stop listening to your system?

Had one of those nights last night. Everything sounds newly smooth and dramatic through my newly refoamed AR-10pis. Nat Cole. Hair metal. Brahms Violin Concerto. Couldn't stop. Thankfully I had an excuse. - making Easter baskets for the kids.
  16. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

My grilles don't look so bad now that I have them in the room. Someday I'll definitely have to replace them. They have an ever-so-slight gumminess to the touch. Thanks for the tip on Danish Oil, Pandovski. As for power, for whatever reason, the 40 wpc NAD 7000 is sounding better than my 200...
  17. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

I finished the refoaming this morning. When I tested the first one out there was no tweeter! It turned out the switch on top that corresponds to it needed Deoxit. I had a great morning listening to these. They're displacing Norman Labs Model 10's (which I adore) in the main living room for...
  18. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

Here you go. It's slightly fuzzy from my phone's camera, but hopefully you can see the texture.
  19. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

I see your point Indynrydr. But from what I've read over at Classic Speaker Pages, the tweeters in the early generation of the AR-10pis were orange, yellow or off-white and went to black later. Given they have the AR logo, I guess it's not impossible mine were taken from another AR. According...
  20. undergroundr

Does anyone record analog anymore?

The Foo Fighters did an all-analog album in Dave Grohl's garage a few years ago. Or so I'm told.
  21. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

Yes, I can't wait to play with those little red switches. Here's a photo from the CL ad I spotted them in. At first glance I thought they were three little tweeters.
  22. undergroundr

My new AR-10pi pair

I'm awaiting the foam surrounds from Rick Cobb. I thought some might enjoy photos. I'd love any observations or expertise anyone experienced with these could offer. A handful of questions come to mind. I've heard there were foam diffuser rings for the tweeters. Mine don't even seem to have...
  23. undergroundr

Speaker ID

mhardy, your id was on the money. Thanks! They're now in the back of my car. Hopefully refoams from Rick Cobb will get them singing again. I got some other components with them, including an NAD 7000 receiver, Nakamichi BX-125 cassette deck, and NAD 6325 cassette deck. I also got an Adcom...
  24. undergroundr

Speaker ID

From a CL ad with which I have no affiliation. What is it?
  25. undergroundr

my Monster Cable has turned green

Thread title reads like a late 70's Zappa lyric...
Back
Top Bottom