Search results

1. rodman101

Magnavox Hot grid??

Appreciate all the input. Yes, I swapped tubes left and right, I think the grid was already gone by that time though. The tubes were purchased as matched pairs from reputable vendor I have used many times with no issue. Forgot to add SS recitfier, seems like it is ~10% over B+ value and not...
  2. rodman101

Magnavox Hot grid??

I pulled this from a working Symphony console in mid 90's and it sat in the stash for another decade. I pulled into service and within a few weeks a channel died, back into the stash. During quarantine I pulled it out and replaced all components using parts far better than OEM and can cap...
  3. rodman101

Speakers for good sound in a bad room.

Perhaps you should approach the dilemma from a different direction rather than arbitrary speaker selection be more scientific in evaluation and correction. My main listing space is a difficult room as well and I got this software, free + $60 mic, and used it to find the best speaker placement...
  4. rodman101

Receiver for my daughter

All 3 choices are decent, but $200 is a substantial increase from the others and don't feel the Luxman represents the best value in the group considering the price. The Concept line was engineered quite well and could be more musical than the Technics?? I have been using a Technics SA-300 as...
  5. rodman101

Maybe not a gimmick?

More on this... My friend is using audacity to archive his old vinyl. He has a crosley pos deck for this. When I called him out on that he said this deck probably equals upper tiers of it's day (mid 60's) and that's ok for him, I agree. I listened to the test LP recording before etsy cleaner...
  6. rodman101

He is using a 2 gal shop vac, with G2 fluid, not D3 as I stated...

He is using a 2 gal shop vac, with G2 fluid, not D3 as I stated... https://www.etsy.com/listing/1643806506/record-cleaner-record-brush-vinyl?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=vacumn+record+cleaner&ref=sr_gallery-1-26&frs=1&organic_search_click=1
  7. rodman101

Maybe not a gimmick?

A friend purchased this a few weeks ago and said it is totally worth it for a "deep cleaning". He uses his small car shop vac as source. According to him you physically see a difference in the "sheen". He said he sprayed a liberal amount of D3 solution as the cleaning agent. I don't believe...
  8. rodman101

Anyone using battery packs to power portable music systems?

I use 2 12V 9AH sealed lead acid batteries to power a DIY JFET phono stage. Not sure how many hours get out of it. I have gone 4+ weeks without a recharge and no obvious sound degradation. There is a 22V regulator circuit I added when I was doing the PCB design to keep the supply side of things...
  9. rodman101

Adding subwoofers

I'm sizing down my system from Polk SDA SRS to bookshelf and want to add smaller subs to each channel so I an still have full range sound. My room has poor acoustics which I fix with a DSP between pre and main, the results are quite good. The bass is lacking and I would like advice on how to...
  10. rodman101

Hardest component to design - any thoughts??

IMHO it's speakers. Back when RMAF existed I got the chance to talk directly to some designers. As many know there is a definite "pretentious" attitude in the audio world and many designers simply talk shttt, maybe because they fear you will blabber their trade secret which doesn't REALLY...
  11. rodman101

New speaker miff

Just purchased KLH Model 3 from reseller, new condition, less than 12 mos old, and all packing, and less than 1/2 cost new. I heard these before and to my ears sound well for size and small size was the main goal, listening space 12'x15' with log wall on 2 sides (intriguing acoustic properties...
  12. rodman101

Technology making the most difference

Opinions on where technology has had the greatest impact on sound reproduction. My vote is speakers, followed by phono cartidge. JBL Hartsfield, not to bash, as an example were setup "perfectly" in a larger room with $300K of other components driving them and although good it was only "OK...
  13. rodman101

Any advice???

Several years ago after my father passed my mother was trying to reshape her lifestyle and decided she wanted a stereo. She asked me to put together a modest system for her. I had some components in the wings I wasn't using so I decided to kick down a great condition Pioneer SA-9500 II. Ended...
  14. rodman101

The Rat Shack - Who would have known???

Thanks for replies and not trying to create any "atmosphere" on prices or selection, just passing the experience.
  15. rodman101

The Rat Shack - Who would have known???

Out running errands yesterday I dropped into a record store that sells new and used and typically has one or two vintage systems up and running that they sell as well. Currently a Realistic STA-50Y receiver hooked to some Bose 601 II (don't laugh). They didn't have a turntable because it had...
  16. rodman101

Studio Monitors

There is a recording studio not far from my house I pass by every day. A few weeks ago there was a banner in front "equipment sale" so I went in. Many racks were bare and they were trying to push the Focal Trio 11. The pitch guy played a Pogues track and it was amazing and then a Peter...
  17. rodman101

Proton 320

Configured such that it will play through either the built-in speaker or through the jack but not both at the same time. It sounds better than the Tivoli 1 radio and has an antenna wire that comes out of the back.
  18. rodman101

Proton 320

Refurbed this and bought brand new. Cleaned switches, replaced dead display bulb with LED, and added external speaker jack. Hooked to "Zilch modified" Minimus7, placed in this weird nook shelf in master bath and couldn't be happier.
  19. rodman101

Reel to reel advice

I have an immaculate Revox B77 MK II purchased 5+ years ago that I have used no more than 2 hours and just to verify the integrity of all functions and sound quality. Recently given a Pioneer RT-901 in good condiion but not working. I spent $628 to get it up to factory spec (shop folks said...
  20. rodman101

Yamaha CR-1000

A coworker gave me this receiver. It came from an estate and had been out of service 25+ years, lovingly taken care of and in excellent shape. I cleaned it up, deoxed all switches and tested it out. Everything working as it should. Amplifier needs recap to play consistent full output. The...
  21. rodman101

Tweeter protection

Klipschorn, GENIUS!!! THANK YOU!
  22. rodman101

Tweeter protection

I just blew a Morel ST728 Supreme Tweeter, $300 and not cheap to me. Besides the obvious of reducing power level to keep safe I bought a set of those bulb protectors. I have only seen these used in Bose so I'm already questioning the integrity of the concept but apparently they work so try...
  23. rodman101

Freebie score!!

Update, been using the Yamaha and it has been working flawlessly all functions even putting the screws to the amp section. Really surprised how good the phono section is and has adjustable loading to fine tune. The tuner is INCREDIBLE!! I was kind of hoping something would go wrong so I have...
  24. rodman101

R2R DUBBING

I have an acquaintance that has acquired many R2R tapers section Grateful Dead recordings spanning decades. He is all in to let me dub them, mostly on 7" reels. Rather than haul my Revox B77 MK II over I'm thinking to take just a DBX unit and Sony minidic recorder. "Theoretically" the DBX...
  25. rodman101

Multiple cartridge use

WOW!!!! So many great replies here, thank you!!! Regarding the swap I find VTA to be the most cumbersome. After a near fatal injury now have a paralyzed left arm (was left handed..) and always preferred doing this adjustment by ear with a few bass heavy tracks I know well. The deck I use...
Back
Top Bottom