Search results

1. Dual522

Dual522

2. curtpenn

Do different turntable brands & models really produce different sound quality?

Dual522 by curtpenn posted Jul 30, 2022 at 10:54 PM Found an as new Dual 522 with OEM Ortofon ULM55 cartridge locally on CraigsList (Dallas) last week for $150. Still can't believe how good it sounds. You could spend 2-3 times as much and not hear much difference, IMHO. Deals are still out there.
  3. curtpenn

Reasonable price for Kenwood L-07 MK II M (C and T)?

I have 5 L-07 amps I've accumulated over the decades. The most recent was about 14-18 months ago. Found one on Audiogon for $160 delivered from Baton Rouge to Dallas. I consider that a steal, though. Just goes to show you can never tell.
  4. curtpenn

Kenwood L-07Mii Output Transistor Substitutes?

Look for Mondialfan posts on this site and contact him if you need some help. He repaired a couple of L-07s for me last year.
  5. curtpenn

Advice re: Kenwood L-07 M MKII and L07c Mk-II

You might contact Mondialfan here on this forum. He repaired a couple of my L-07 mono amps last year for a very price. He's in the Dallas/Ft Worth area.
  6. curtpenn

Fair price for Kenwood L-07 mono blocks and the L-07 pre amp

I've accumlated 5 of the L-07 mono amps over the last 20+ years. Still pleasantly surprised I was able to buy one last year on Audiogon for about $150. You just never know.
  7. curtpenn

What to do with all these EMIT's

I have a nicely functioning pair of Quantum 2s, but have always wanted a pair of QLS-1s. Never can seem to find a pair close enough or cheap enough to pull the trigger. Even so, I've accumulated about 10 of the domed mids and and maybe 6 of the tall EMITs along with 3 other Watkins woofers...
  8. curtpenn

My new L-07M Kenwoods

WARNING: L-07s can be addictive. Worked for Pacific Stereo in the '70s and sold these when they were new. They were sort of the "inside baseball"/poor salesman's secret at that time. We had US-made Harman Kardon, SAE, Phase Linear, and Soundcraftsmen separates prominently displayed in our "high...
  9. curtpenn

Why did Infinity stop using Watkins woofers? if they are so much better?

Bought a pair of Quantum 2s in 2005, but always wanted a pair of QLS-1s - just never found a pair close enough or cheap enough to pull the trigger. From what you say, maybe I don't need to keep looking. Thanks! Lol.
  10. curtpenn

Infinity speakers vs today

Worked for Pacific Stereo in the late '70s. Got a pair of Juniors then that I still enjoy to this day. Still think they are a tremendous value if you can find a pair. I have Quantum 2s in my main system, and QEs in a bedroom. The next step up in the Infinity line back at that time was a Quantum...
  11. curtpenn

Dual 622 almost perfect but cuing lever doesn't function

Trying one more time to get a response. Bueller?.....Bueller?.....
  12. curtpenn

Quantum 2 Bi-amping help, please.

From the Owner's Manual I found online: "The Quantum Line source and Quantum 2 loudspeakers have connections to allow "biamplification". Make sure to remove the straps on the binding post when connecting the speakers in this way. You do not need an electronic crossover when "bi-amping" the QLS...
  13. curtpenn

I did have to pull out the pots last year for a thorough descaling/cleaning, then put them back in. I wonder how the rat's nest of a crossover is connected (to your point about woofers being connected internally)?
  14. curtpenn

Passive - no external crossovers. I'm coming out of a vintage Soundscraftsmen PE2217 that has 2 RCA lines out both left and right channel (total of 4 lines out via RCA connectors), 2 x Left and 2 x Right cables going to the amps. FWIW, pretty sure these are OEM with 4 posts and intended to...
  15. curtpenn

So, I've run a pair of Infinity Quantum 2s with 2 Kenwood L-07 mono amps since about 2005. Finally got around to getting 2 more L-07s up and running with many thanks to a fellow AKer here in the DFW area with the intention of (I thought) simply running 2 L-07s to each speaker. The Q2s have 2...
  16. curtpenn

The KA-3500 restoration

Bought one of these and its companion KT-5300 + rack handles around '77 - my first "real" stereo. I mail-ordered them because I was a poor college student in those days and that was the cheapest way to get them. I see you are in Dallas. Used to travel from Waco to Dallas on the weekends...
  17. curtpenn

Q5 vs RS1.5

Always loved the Q5s and thought they were the best bang for the buck if you could stretch a bit and had enough current to do them justice. I could only afford the Juniors back in the day and I still have them. Was fortunate to find a nice pair of Q2s in 2005 and they are now my mains. Still...
  18. curtpenn

Kenwood L-07M Vs L-07MII

I lusted after L-07s but couldn’t afford them as a youngster selling hifi for Pacific Stereo back in the ‘70s. Managed to buy 4 of them via eBay 15+ years ago. One pair of the original version and one pair of the M2. Couldn’t hear any difference driving my Infinity Quantum Juniors. Over the...
  19. curtpenn

Today's Texas Tunes and Musicians playlist.

That was the 4th album I ever bought. Right after Jimi Hendrix Experience Greatest Hits, Led Zeppelin II, and Cream Greatest Hits. Loved it.
  20. curtpenn

Pretty cool article about vintage receivers

Yup. Once I discovered the almost limitless supply of music from every genre and every century all available with a few keystrokes or swipes on my MacBook Air or iPhone that all sounds 1000 times better than it ever did back in the '60s or '70s on dad's Magnavox console or my record player with...
  21. curtpenn

MAC to DAC connectivity question

I've streamed Tidal HiFi to an Airport Express either from an iPhone or Macbook Air for about a year now. The AE is connected via TOSLink to a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC. Zero issues when going this route. Your mileage may vary. When using the Mac Air, I usually go USB to the Bifrost which delivers...
  22. curtpenn

First time you were blown away by a stereo?

Freshman year of college - '73/'74 - the then current roommate of the guy that would go on to be my future roommate for the next 3 years had a new system in his dorm room. As I recall, it was an AR turntable, Sherwood receiver, and some model of Infinity speaker that had Walsh tweeters. Yeah, it...
  23. curtpenn

Speaker people, which would you chose?

I've had Infinity Quantum Juniors for almost 40 years and they were my main speakers most of the time. Still listen to them mostly on weekends for casual background. 12" woofer with 1.5" domed mid + EMIT (planar tweet). My main system is now a pair of Infinity Quantum 2s. So, I'm highly biased...
  24. curtpenn

Thoughts on Quantum 3's?

I have Quantum 2s, Juniors, and QEs. Great products. Sounds like a killer price. Not hard to finding replacement drivers if needed and you take your time.
  25. curtpenn

KX-1030 Cassette Deck

I've had one of these since new, but had the exact same problem with one dead channel. Mothballed it probably 25+ years ago. Have wondered lately about getting it out and getting it fixed. Good luck!
Back
Top Bottom