Search results

1. curtpenn

Quantum 2 Bi-amping help, please.

So, I've run a pair of Infinity Quantum 2s with 2 Kenwood L-07 mono amps since about 2005. Finally got around to getting 2 more L-07s up and running with many thanks to a fellow AKer here in the DFW area with the intention of (I thought) simply running 2 L-07s to each speaker. The Q2s have 2...
  2. curtpenn

A little tired of maintaining vintage Kenwood L-07 mono amps

I managed to accumulate 4 Kenwood L-07 mono amps between 10-20 years ago in hopes of eventually bi-amping my much loved Infinity Quantum 2 speakers (or, being able to find a decent pair of Infinity QLS-1s). Unfortunately, I can never seem to get/keep all 4 working. The guys I've taken them to...
  3. curtpenn

Wide vs Hi-pass inputs on SAE 2300

Recently picked up a very clean SAE 2300. It offers a choice on each channel's inputs of using either Wide or Hi-pass. Anyone know the difference, or how to decide which input to use? Does it matter?
  4. curtpenn

Qobuz HiRes vs Tidal MQA

Finally was able to signup for beta trial for Qobuz last night. I've been a satisfied Tidal HiFi subscriber for about a year. Only had about an hour to spare last night doing some comparison listening. Too soon to draw any conclusions. Just wondering if others have had a chance to compare and...
  5. curtpenn

Direct Drive vs Belt Drive & Tone arm mass

I "came of age" as far as gear goes in the mid to late '70s both as a listener and then as a hifi salesperson for Pacific Stereo. At that time, belt drive tables (at least the most commonly mass marketed brands) were definitely being replaced by the presumably better direct drive models. Also...
  6. curtpenn

Combo CD/networked streamer like Yamaha CD-N500 available in the US?

I'm currently really enjoying getting schooled in digital streaming through my '70s vintage systems. Looks as if I could benefit from a DAC to go between an AirPort Express and preamp and was thinking of adding one as a next step, but suspect I might also benefit from a better CD player. Started...
  7. curtpenn

Vinyl vs CD vs Amazon Music vs ripped AIFF???

So, after decades of starting/managing a small business, raising kids, couple of marriages, blah, blah, blah, I've recently resurrected/repaired some of my vintage hifi and started seriously listening like I haven't in probably 35-40 years. My main components are a Concept 3.5 receiver (used as...
  8. curtpenn

Airport streaming - disappointing SQ so far

I'm intrigued with the idea of sitting in my chair using my iPhone to control iTunes as it streams CDs I've ripped as AIFF files to a highly portable 1TB USB hard drive directly connected to an Airport Extreme Base Station that functions as an NAS. At the moment, I'm listening to Infinity...
  9. curtpenn

Dual 622 almost perfect but cuing lever doesn't function

Recently pulled my Dual 622 with Ortofon VMS20E out of the drawer it's been sitting in for 25+ years. Hooked it up and everything sounded great. Unfortunately, had to operate everything manually. That's when I discovered the steuerpimple. Had never heard of such a thing. Anyway, got one off of...
  10. curtpenn

Where did the decent deals go? Or, am I just an old fart who is out of touch?

There was a 10 year stretch from about the mid-'90s until around 2006-7 when I bought quite a bit of vintage hifi (as well as a couple of guitars and other interesting stuff) on the bay auction site. Picked up 7-8 receivers, a bunch of '70s-vintage Infinity drivers, 4 Kenwood L-07 mono amps, and...
  11. curtpenn

Paper or plastic?

As previously reported, I cleaned all the pots on one of my mute Q2s this past weekend. Got motivated to do the other one last night and am pleased to report that everything is now functional! That said, I have a pair of poly Watkins woofers donated by a buddy who was parting out his 2.5s a few...
  12. curtpenn

Quantum 2 potentiometers can be cleaned. Woo hoo!

I had stopped using my Q2s a couple of years ago after the pots became so encrusted that no amount of cleaning in situ would suffice to bring back the mid and upper drivers. Love my Quantum Juniors, but they are not the same. Finally got motivated after reading some threads here to go ahead and...
  13. curtpenn

AV / HT receivers as pre-amp for vintage SS system?

I've been using Concept receivers as tuner/preamps for many, many years now connected to a pair of Kenwood L-07 mono amps which drive a pair of Infinity Quantum 2 speakers. We have a new 4k TV with decent sound bar and wireless subwoofer and have zero interest in whatever is latest and greatest...
  14. curtpenn

Kenwood L-07 repairs needed

Two of the four L-07 amps I have are no longer working. The symptoms seem to relate to the delay/protection at start-up when the amps are powered on. They took longer and longer to start until finally they just don't. Is this an easy fix? Anyone have any suggestions for a possible service...
Back
Top Bottom