Search results

1. moon unit

Benz Micro Ace, or watch where you walk the dog.

The owner died a few months ago. http://www.analogplanet.com/content/ernst-benz-rip
  2. moon unit

Fluid Damping my SME 3009 Series II (improved)

I added damping to a different arm and found that the need for anti-skate was reduced, but not completely eliminated. My results were very similar to your own except for the problem you found when tracking warped records. The only negative I found at all was when tracking significantly...
  3. moon unit

SS Phono preamp for MC ~$2-3k?

I use these, they were all I could afford after buying a phono stage.
  4. moon unit

SS Phono preamp for MC ~$2-3k?

I use an Avid Pulsus as well and it's a truly outstanding phono stage. Avid also sells the Pellar which doesn't have a separate power supply but is built into one box. It's considerably less expensive and should sound nearly as good. The problem (vs. the Pulsus) is that for LOMC cartridges...
  5. moon unit

Brothers in Arms lp comparison

There is only the 2 LP 33 RPM available, whether or not it is half speed mastered I am not sure but I don't believe it is. It has the full length songs from the CD but it is inferior sounding to the Masterdisk RL originals that you can find anywhere (and yes I have both).
  6. moon unit

Anyone running a Pro-Ject Arm on a non Pro-ject table?

If you are going to use the 9cc make sure you fit the silicone tonearm damper that Oracle designed for this arm, it made a significant improvement to the sound quality of my turntable. It dampens all the resonances inherent to the Pro-Ject CF arms. The 9cc EVO is no better in this regard...
  7. moon unit

Cartridge Resonance??

I know all that. :D If you look at the 9 series brochure, they list the 9 (all aluminum) and the 9c effective mass at 11g. If you look at the supplied and optional counterweights for both arms, and what the cartridge ranges are for the same counterweights, it is obvious that they do not weigh...
  8. moon unit

Cartridge Resonance??

FYI, the effective mass of the 9c tonearm is 9.5g, not 11g. It's listed at 11g in the 9 series manual but that is incorrect.
  9. moon unit

VPI Traveler Turntable - whole different direction

Osage Audio is running a 20% off promotion on all VPI tables through September 10th.
  10. moon unit

Record Cleaning Machine - Opinions please!

Some people do but I wouldn't bother, using different brushes for the fluids is much more important. I also have never had a problem with dust or dirt getting left on the platter. When I'm about to clean a record I wipe (with a microfiber towel) the dust off of the side of the record that...
  11. moon unit

It really depends on how dirty the record is. A good solution for you would be to use the #15 and rinse with the ultra-pure water, that works about as well as the three step in my experience. For a really dirty record you can simply apply the #15 twice and then rinse once using the...
  12. moon unit

The Okki Nokki spins in both directions. I've been using mine for about 1.5 years and I'm very happy with it. I did use a VPI 16.5 for a short period and I would say they both clean equally well, the Okki Nokki is substantially quieter though. I've gotten the best results using AIVS fluids.
  13. moon unit

Pro-ject Debut Carbon: First Look & Listen

I'm using the middle notch with a 2.3g VTF and on my friend's Debut we are using the inner notch, both lower than what Pro-Ject recommends. I agree that getting it right is important and getting it wrong can contribute to problems. Again, I don't trust much of anything that's printed in the...
  14. moon unit

I put the weight behind the pulley, as far away as I could place it. This straightened the pulley out. Once you re-level the tonearm and adjust the tracking force let us know how it sounds. I suspect you are not actually running at 1.75g right now. Actually, Ortofon lists recommended tracking...
  15. moon unit

Bob didn't address this directly but if the stylus skipped to the right that simply means you were using too much anti-skate and/or the table was not level. I went with a 10.5g cartridge on a 9cc (8.5g effective mass) tonearm with no problems whatsoever, I was previously using a 6.3g cart. I...
  16. moon unit

The reason I asked about the transport screws (they're not really) was that in the aftermarket kit that Pro-Ject sells/sold (grommets, new pulley and round belt), the instructions are to use the longer supplied screws (the same that were included with your table) to secure the sorbothane...
  17. moon unit

Question: Did you remove the transport screws (the two screws that pass through the motor bracket "wings" and the sorbothane) or did you receive the table like that?
  18. moon unit

Platter Upgrade for Pro-Ject RM5.1

All RM-5.1 tables come fitted with a 9cc arm, that's why I suggested using the Oracle silicone damper. What you have is the RM-5, which is the same table except it is fitted with a 9c arm.
  19. moon unit

Oracle sells it directly, the Paris arm is a bone stock 9cc Pro-Ject arm with the damper fitted. I have a thread at Vinylengine (in the Music Hall/Pro-Ject forum) with ordering information, pictures and my experience with it, check it out.
  20. moon unit

The platter you have (w/the integrated vinyl mat) is already quite good, you would not be upgrading by fitting an acrylic platter. They do look nice however. If you want to upgrade, get the Speed Box. If you REALLY want to upgrade, get the Oracle silicone damping kit for the 9cc arm. It...
  21. moon unit

Monolithic ps-1 ?

No, not even in the ballpark. You would need to use a step-up transformer with that.
  22. moon unit

Let's see and hear about your coolest 12" singles:

I've got a DM 12" "Behind The Wheel" from Music for the Masses but don't listen to it much for two reasons: It is pressed at 33rpm, not 45rpm. Side one is two versions of "Behind The Wheel/Route 66" and side two is two versions of "Behind The Wheel." A bit too redundant for me. It does...
  23. moon unit

steve hoffman site.....

A good rule of thumb is to not trust everything you read at ANY audio forum. Too many people comment on things they have never tried, heard or even have any knowledge of! Edit: Whoops, didn't see your post jfine until after I posted this...
  24. moon unit

Lastly, what I consider my "coolest" 12' single. Elton John "Funeral For A Friend/Love Lies Bleeding" which is surely one of the greatest rock songs of all time. The B side contains two tracks from the Captain Fantastic LP. I got lucky and found an unplayed example on Ebay UK and snagged it...
  25. moon unit

The Allman Brothers "Pegasus" promo. Found this unplayed version at a local record store. A brilliant instrumental with two additional cuts on the B side.
Back
Top Bottom