Search results

1. P

Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11 Problem

I need help diagnosing a problem that recently started happening with my Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-11. Whenever I use a digital input source, I experience a grainy/swirly distortion. I have tried using three different computers running Foobar2000. On all three machines I installed the Yulong...
  2. P

Value of Yamaha PF-800 turntable

Good day AK, recently I've made some changes to my system and have started re-evaluating all of my gear. I'm having a hard time trying to determine what my PF-800 would be valued at today. Here's some details on this particular PF-800: -Picked it up locally 2.5 years ago for $800 CAD...
  3. P

Recommend a power amp...

I believe that my Akai AM-2600 is my current weak link, and I'd like to try out some different power amplifiers. I can't remember why, but for some reason I could have sworn the Akai had pre-out/main-in capability. Lo and behold, when I tried to hookup my GF TubeDAC-11 to try as a preamp, I...
  4. P

Deleted my 'My Music' folder... share your painful experiences

Last weekend I got a new 1TB hard drive to store my media on. As soon as I got home I hooked it up and started copying files over. After a week of using it, I figured I'd get rid of the old data and free up room. Apparently, I didn't copy the music folder properly, I created some kind of...
  5. P

Internal Amplifier Wiring

Good day all, as some of you may know I am always reading and trying to learn about DIY methods. This morning I have been perusing pictures from one of Squidwards builds (his KT88 amp) and got to thinking about wiring. In my phono preamp, I'm currently using individual strands out of an...
  6. P

First Date Since Marriage

First a bit of preamble... I got married young, right out of college. Wasn't even 21 yet! I met a sweet girl in my second year of college and proposed to her six months later when she moved to Arizona - I didn't want to lose her... big mistake, should have let her gone. But I didn't. We...
  7. P

The Sickness... new cart :D

So even though I'm quite happy with my current setup which includes a DL 301 II and my DIY Phonoclone, I couldn't help but pull the trigger on a dirt cheap Glider! The seller doesn't know how many hours are on it, but says that he has play tested it, and it plays beautifully. Got it for $260...
  8. P

Circuit Lab - web-based circuit simulator

Just saw this on Slashdot (news for nerds) and thought you DIYers might find it interesting/useful. https://www.circuitlab.com/
  9. P

Speaker Cable Length - Uneven or to fit?

Just got me 40 ft unterminated Blue Jeans 12ga speaker cable, and I'm contemplating the best way to cut it up. My rack is off to the side wall of my room with my speakers at a 90 degree angle to it, so the right channel is approx 18' away with the left channel being only 10' away. Would it...
  10. P

"Sport" headphones

Hey guys, I'm looking for a set of headphones to use while working out that sound good and are comfortable and secure. Does anyone have a pair that they enjoy using while working out? Whether it be jogging, biking, weights, whatever? My only criteria is they can't be earbuds and can't be...
  11. P

Could I have ruined my MC cart?

Last night I plugged in my DIY phono amp for a test, and after it didn't work I reconnected my existing phono amp. Now I get no sound! After I took the box back to my workbench I did some measuring (should have done this first.... damn my impatience) and discovered that I was getting about...
  12. P

Recommend a pre or power amp to pair with my Akai

Hey guys, I've been thinking a lot about trying separates lately. I currently have an Akai AM-2600 integrated amp, which has pre out and power in, and I'm really not sure what I want to try first - a preamp to pair with the Akai's power or a power to pair with the Akai's pre. Ultimately I...
  13. P

Carbon composite drivers

I was reading through the "have you found THE sound" thread and it got me thinking. I have heard the sound I want, but it didn't come from my loudspeakers, it came through a pair of headphones I had which are now broken (shitty folding mechanism). They were these headphones. I attribute...
  14. P

Phonoclone 3 Build Log

Just in the preparation phase of a Phonoclone 3 build. Thanks to Hypnotoad for pointing out this neat little project: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=387121 http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=395898 Part list: (I sourced this 100% from Digikey, minus the...
  15. P

3a Type 360 Refoam

After an amp accident a few weeks back I discovered that my speakers needed to be refoamed. So I went ahead and ordered a NewFoam Pro kit. It came in last Monday and I set to the task this week. Well, I just finished refoaming the woofers, hooked them up and got my sweet sweet sound back...
  16. P

Had a bit of an accident...

I have two sets of wires running straight into my speaker, one from the stereo and one from the HT receiver. I normally turn one amp off when using the other, but a few nights ago I accidentally left the HT receiver on while listening to vinyl. I noticed that the VU meters on the front of my...
  17. P

Want to try an MC cart with PF-800

Recommend an MC cart for PF-800 I'm ready to foray into the world of MC madness, and I finally have a bit of cash to drop on a new cartridge. Budget is about 3-400 for my starter MC cart. I've been looking at the DL 103 to get a taste before dropping big bucks. Anyone have experience with...
  18. P

Differences between MM and MC phono stages

I came across this phono stage on CAM a few minutes ago and noticed that on the back it just had one input with two outputs - one for high and one for low gain. It got me thinking, is there any difference between MM and MC phono stages besides the amount of gain used? I realize that MC...
  19. P

New Living Room

Phil's Living Room Just moved into a new place a few weeks ago, much more spacious. Here's what I've managed to get setup so far: Still need to load the shelves with books and decorate the walls. Coming along nicely though.
  20. P

Room Layout Assistance

I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks and I'm trying to figure out which room to use for my listening room, and how to lay out that room. I have 2 options, one is a long living room that will have my sitting furniture and tv, the other is a small room I'm going to use as an office...
  21. P

3A - Model 360 - Looking for info

Has anyone heard of (or better yet, heard :D) these speakers? The company is 3A (Art & Acoustique Appliquee or Art & Applied Acoustics), and I've read that they were originally based in France, but at some point changed name to 3A Reference and moved to Switzerland then Canada. Here's some...
Back
Top Bottom