Search results

1. Mopic5

Please Relieve Me of my Raffle Prize (Tube Amp)

This is up for auction to benefit the AK cause…. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=440871 All Best, Mario
  2. Mopic5

Metzner Coming to Swap Room

After nearly four years, finally got around to restoring and sinking a 1958 Metzner Starlight into a solid mass plinth. These tables are hard enough to come by and, because of a design material defect in the platter sleeve, a working Metzner is a rare bird indeed. What made this build finally...
  3. Mopic5

Metzner Coming to Swap Room

After nearly four years, finally got around to restoring and sinking a 1958 Metzner Starlight into a solid mass plinth. These tables are hard enough to come by and, because of a design material defect in the platter sleeve, a working Metzner is a rare bird indeed. What made this build finally...
  4. Mopic5

Sonus/V-15-Vrmx compliance?

Cartridge matching is an area that I continue to guess at. Recently ordered a Jico SAS replacement stylus for my Shure V-15/Vxmr that had its cantilever mysteriously yanked out – some how, some way. Never remembered it happening, so I’m avoiding beating up on myself by blaming it on beryllium...
  5. Mopic5

Audio-Technica "K" Cart bodies?

This info is probably buried and I couldn't flush it out. What are the models that make up this line? Are they pretty much the same - so that a stylus upgrade will make the main difference? Thanks, Mario
  6. Mopic5

Speed Issue Pioneer PL-516

A long while back I read of a fix for speed fluctuations on this model. It's a nice servo DD with a solid plinth. The suspected area is the speed trim pot. Has anybody gone after and corrected this - or remember how to attack this problem? :scratch2: Many thanks in advance. - Mario
  7. Mopic5

AK Swap Room in Danger of Cancellation

Right now, as far as I know, only me and Andyman have signed up for tables in the swap rooms at AK Fest '09. Unless there are at least, a couple of others signing up, Grumpy has let it be known that the Swap room(s) may be cancelled for this years' Fest. Don't let this happen!:nono: The swap...
  8. Mopic5

AK Fest Swap Room NO LONGER in Danger of Cancellation

Right now, as far as I know, only me and Andyman have signed up for tables in the swap rooms at AK Fest '09. Unless there are at least, a couple of others signing up, Grumpy has let it be known that the Swap room(s) may be cancelled for this years' Fest. Don't let this happen!:nono: The swap...
  9. Mopic5

Death & Birth of Lenco/Idler Sites

Lenco-Lovers.com, the Lenco/Idler turntable site is down and been delisted from its server. As a former moderator there, I knew that there has been trouble brewing for the past few weeks. (Isn't divorce always over silly, meaningless stuff?) More than a dozen of the longtime core contributers...
  10. Mopic5

Capstan motors for the X2000-R still available from TEAC?

Been awhile since posting to this forum. After 4 decades of living with many AN series (4010s/6010s), the smooth transports (not to mention dbx) of the "X" series TEACs seems a siren call too long resisted. From past readings in this forum, it seems that the only comparative weak spot (for me...
  11. Mopic5

Belt size Technics SL-303?

Looking to replace the belt on my nephew’s Technics SL-303. A vendor search comes up with two sizes: 22.4” @ LP Gear and 23.6” @ turntableneedles. Anybody have access to this table’s user manual and can provide the correct size. Much appreciate. (Vinyl Engine’s new registration for user/service...
  12. Mopic5

Warm-up failure 1 channel Pio SX-980

A nice Pioneer SX-980 is beginning to kick up its heels a bit. I get a “warmed-up” left-channel failure in the pre-amp section (mono button shows power output both channels). After cooling down for about an hour, both preamp channels will come back online – also for about an hour. Anybody been...
  13. Mopic5

High-End Vinyl/Tube Ad on U.S. Open Coverage

Saw this last night and was gob-smacked! The 30-second commercial wasn't for any particular piece of analog, but for a credit card. The actor was using it to purchase a spinning turntable (went by too quick to ID), gobs of vinyl, and tubes! Have we arrived? Is this a good thing? - Mario
  14. Mopic5

Vintage Fabric: Tweeter Diffuser?

This has probably been covered before, but searching didn’t flush it into the open. Here’s the question: If acoustical transparency is the desired end when reclothing speaker grills, then why are so many “thick” vintage fabrics being re-applied to vintage speaker cabs? Is there some acoustic...
  15. Mopic5

A View from the Swap Room

First off, this was an absolute blast! My thanks go out to fellow table compatriots Andyman and Piece-of-Pete for helping me and my buddy Stephen (Swap Newbies) with advise on pricing and learning the ropes in general. I think we all meshed extremely well, covering for each other and keeping the...
  16. Mopic5

Stranded core Coax to RCAs any tips?

Some of us over in the Analog forum use inexpensive digital video component/composite coax (stranded copper core) as phono interconnects because of their ultra low capacitance and shielding properties. I’ve been using Petras cables in two phono applications: One with a rewired Rega tonearm and...
  17. Mopic5

Electro-Voice EVS-16B - A review, of sorts

They had nagged at my conscience for a long while, like hungry children ignored on the streets - decrepit gray-brown shells with vaporized surrounds exposed, grilleless on the dusty warehouse floor. They’d been passed over for weeks by even the most intrepid eBay flippers. For lack of...
  18. Mopic5

In Memorium of the Athena AS series

Over the past couple of weeks the Athena AS (Audition Series) have dissappeared from the market. This includes the widely acclaimed AS-F2 floorstanders, considered an absolute steal at the often found price between $400 - $500 per pair (list $600). The “replacement” speaker – LS-500 now...
  19. Mopic5

Anybody Use Solid Core on internal upgrade?

Just got a pair of Electro-Voice EVS-16B (12" 3-ways) for $3 in need of a bit of refurbishing (re-foam, recap etc.). While I've heard that these speakers are not exactly the cat's meow, I've also read that they're not exactly "throw aways" either. I noticed that the internal wiring appears...
  20. Mopic5

Silly Putty as Stylus Cleaner

Following Capped Edit added 1-6-08 - PLEASE SEE DISCLAIMER IN POST #25 A Linn dealer/tech with a storefront in my hometown turned me onto using this 58-year-old “toy” that he uses exclusively for stylus cleaning. You may remember that the Linn philosophy on record cleaning is: “Don’t! – Just...
  21. Mopic5

Driver Packing Question

Looking at packing up and shipping two pairs of woofers (15” and 12” in two boxes). After searching here on packing woofers/drivers, think I’ve got a plan, but thought it best to run it by to see if anyone sees disaster in the making. Cut some ½” flat stock (ply or particleboards) slightly...
  22. Mopic5

Hi-end TT on the Cheap (Major Pic Post)

A lot of pictures to do the talking on this build, so I hope to keep my jabbering down out of the gate and then elaborate on details if asked. This Lenco L-75 with custom topplate is my 2nd build into a mass constrained plinth. With “self-fulfilling bias” an unknown to be factored in here, I...
  23. Mopic5

Hire a band and bake a tape

As a result of all the quick responders to my thread yesterday on tape squealing, it became apparent that a quick way of determining whether the problem was hardware (TEAC 4010-SL / 6010-GSL tape decks) or software, was to bake a couple of the squealing tapes. Squealing or the “violin affect”...
  24. Mopic5

Two TEACs - same squeal..?!?

Experiencing two separate, but identical attacks of the “squeals” in two TEAC AN-series reel-to-reel decks in the last couple of weeks. The problem is occurring in a 4010-SL and a 6010-GSL, both of which have been performing well for just over a year in two separate systems. The squealing is...
  25. Mopic5

Good or Waste of time II

Saw a couple of pair at a closing thrift tonight. Found little in searches here and on the www. Pioneer CS-G2001 3-ways excellent shape w/o grilles. Marantz 3-ways no model# but a "Code 30/300" they've got an outward ridge down the center of the grilles. Any thoughts on either set? Many...
Back
Top Bottom