Search results

1. jmfg

Is this room doomed? Or - What can be done?

Botrytis, Thanks for the advice! I fear I am as much a technology novice as I am room treatment. Ha?!? I’ll do some research of previous posts to find out more about this “magical” technology. I don’t even know what a calibrated microphone is. (sigh) Of course, I also hope it comes with...
  2. jmfg

Tomlinmgt, Thanks! That is super good to know! (Obviously, I may have understated how much of a novice I am! ) For once in my life, I was/am trying to be proactive (⬅️ so overrated!)
  3. jmfg

Thanks Guys! I was trying to stay a step ahead in the construction process. Unfortunately, the amp I planned on installing there is only 40w & I don’t think it could push Maggies, etc. I was considering adding carpet squares? or something in the recesses of some the coffers in front of the...
  4. jmfg

I am moving into a “new” (1938) house and the basement ceiling (7’) is coffered concrete. The walls (room size -approx 15x25’) are stacked stone - divided- 1/2 finished, 1/2 utility (the dividing wall is t&g knotty pine) the floor is carpeted. I plan on using this space regularly (locating the...
  5. jmfg

Weird “Motor-boating” Problem

I placed the filters between the phono and pre. (Was that right? -ha?) The horrible noises (MB + distortion) stopped me from checking for distortion on all inputs. (Probably should have - duh) I have checked all the tubes and they are all seated properly. The rated output/input between the 2...
  6. jmfg

Thanks guys. Nothing was changed, and I’m trying everyone’s suggestions; starting with the easiest (or at least the most convenient to me!) Update: Did a high volume motorboat test shortly (10 minutes) after turning on the amp, no motorboating. After about 45 minutes, tested again, and the...
  7. jmfg

Thanks to all the helpful troubleshooting advice, I researched subsonic filters. I found these today at a thrift store! I worked late tonight, but can’t wait to install them and see if they solve the problem! FWIW- I would have had no idea what these were if it weren’t for all you folks! Thanks!
  8. jmfg

Re: cap age - approx 5 years (the amp does get daily use) Phono preamp - I am using the audio research SP6A’s built in phono preamp If the capacitors in the Pilot are indeed the problem - I will request they are replaced with ones that can handle higher temperatures! As always - I am...
  9. jmfg

Great input! I remember when it was initially serviced/recapped, quite a few capacitors, wires and resistors were replaced “under the hood”. My technician and I spoke about Clarity, Sonicaps, Mundorfs, and others as replacements. I remember him saying that a few of my “requested” caps wouldn’t...
  10. jmfg

So much wonderful information- I guess I’ll swap everything out piece by piece - trial and error approach - tidy cords be damned! I do sincerely appreciate all the help!
  11. jmfg

Here is a photo of the cap. As for drilling, I meant (if it is a heat related problem) would it be helpful to drill holes AFTER the cooked parts have been replaced? Or would it not really help/ be worth the effort? Thanks again for all the help!
  12. jmfg

Wowee! A lot more information! Thanks! I realize (from AK) that I have a turntable arm/cartridge(s) compliance “mismatch”, but I just really like both of these carts. Either (and others) have worked flawlessly for years - until now - so…??? It seems that I should try getting the amp checked out...
  13. jmfg

Boy - you ALL are the best! Incredible information!!! - I am not sure if a resistor was added - maybe it was just a biasing adjustment (I know the transformers do run cooler than they had originally.) - i know my tech said he changed out some of the wire during recap, and used “better”...
  14. jmfg

To clarify my original comment concerning “backing out the stylus”.. This ⬆️ does stop the motor boating that is continuing to happen after the arm has lifted and no contact to the record is being made. Lowering the now slightly backed out stylus onto the record does not stop the motor boating...
  15. jmfg

Heyraz, That little Pilot does run hot! I did ask my tech if that was a concern (when I first got it) and he did something (added a resistor or ?) so now it just runs hot and not boiling! Hahaha! That is good to know that in addition to possible feedback problems, the power amp may also be...
  16. jmfg

Lavane, Thanks! I will look into a subsonic filter. The set up has been the same for quite a few years with little to no problems. I guess that’s why it’s so frustrating!!! That, and unbundling all my nicely organized cords! Hahahaha! I appreciate the help!
  17. jmfg

Trinhsman, My father always used to tell me not to get old, but it happened anyway! Ha! So there is some sort of device that connects between the table and pre to prevent feedback? I’ll do some searching. This leads me to believe it could be turntable related? I have not tried swapping out...
  18. jmfg

Wow guys - thanks for the quick responses! Grenadeslio - The setup is the same - 6’ wall mounted cabinet with speakers wall mounted on either side. I thought about the other sources possibility so I hooked up the phone and “buried” the gain with no problems! Frustrating and weird - ha! I don’t...
  19. jmfg

Guys and Gals, I wasn’t sure which forum to place this in - so it landed here. The motor boating issue ONLY occurs at “high” volume (gain @ 1 or 2 “o’clock”) while using the turntable. No other inputs cause a problem, nor does it occur at lower volumes. A record will play fine until it...
  20. jmfg

What do you do when your better half is out of town?

Great thread! Bringing up the big speakers (Wharfedale W4s) from the basement went fine (probably due to the excitement and anticipation of hearing them again), however, down the 2 flights of winding stairs did not! Waiting till the last minute before leaving for the airport, I was rushing...
  21. jmfg

Kallax Units

So not Kallax®️per se, but equally (if not worse) constructed (cam and bolt) cabinet I modified a bit to wall hang (originally the bottom of a hutch) to hold records and gear. I am of the experience that by adding (and invisibly screwing) the mounting board to the sides and dividers of the...
  22. jmfg

All I Care About Is The Sound. True Or False?

Tough question. There have been some (objectively) ugly pieces that I’ve grown to find more & more attractive because I love the way they sound. There haven’t been any “gorgeous” pieces that I’ve hated the sq enough to get rid of. Aesthetics are very important to me (& my wife) - as proven by my...
  23. jmfg

Paste Wax on Tube Amplifier Cases

Ha! No. Not that hot. The Carnuba wax I use says “in turpentine”. It also says it can be used on automobiles, but I’m not so sure I’d use it on mine! That’s a good point though - thanks!
  24. jmfg

Paste Wax on Tube Amplifier Cases

A pretty straight forward question: Does paste wax (Carnuba furniture wax -for example) remain “hard” on a wooden tube amplifier case when subjected to the heat of the amp? Or does it become sticky or gooey and become a dust collector? I refinished the wooden case of a Fisher tube amplifier...
  25. jmfg

Pickering XSV/3000 - D3000 retip or aftermarket?

FWIW - I (from reading this thread) also went with the bonded Stereohedron from Joseph, and have been auditioning it for about a week. I could not be more pleased. After much reading/research, I finally decided to have my D3000 retipped. I was skeptical about how much difference a closer to OEM...
Back
Top Bottom