Search results

1. nbndtrain

Pioneer SX output transistor availability

I am getting ready to repair and restore a Pioneer SX-838, and it will need at least one set of output transistors. The recommended replacements (MJ21194G/MJ21193G) are not available at either Mouser or Digikey, where I typically purchase components. Seems like this has been a challenge for a...
  2. nbndtrain

Pioneer SX-X3X black bezel paint

Any recommendations for a black paint that will somewhat match for a scratched/damaged SX-838? Picture below. Thanks!
  3. nbndtrain

Merlynski has passed beyond the veil ...

Just hoping all is OK. I have always appreciated his knowledge and posts. @merlynski you still out there?
  4. nbndtrain

Help with SX-939 in protection

Happy Holidays! I picked up a non-working SX-939 and have sat down to fix it. It looks like only one transistor on the phono board was ever replaced, and it was set for 100v. The issue is that I am getting -2.8v on pin 25 of the power amp on a DBT. The other channel zero's out fine, and bias is...
  5. nbndtrain

MC-2155 thump on power down

My MC-2155 just started thumping the speakers when I turn the amp off. This happens whether my preamp is connected or not. The amp was fully recapped by me 3 years ago, except the main filter caps, and has been running great since. Any recommendations on where to look or test? Is it most likely...
  6. nbndtrain

Pioneer SX-1080 protection with raised volume

I recently picked up an SX-1080 that worked but was filthy from being a workshop receivier. I recapped the receiver, except for the main filter caps, set center voltage to around 3-5mv and idle current to 30mV. Upon testing, it is now going into protection as the volume is raised. It does NOT...
  7. nbndtrain

Tuner alignment Denver, CO?

Does anyone have a recommendation for a tuner alignment in Denver, CO? I am going to recap my MR78 and will most likely need to get it dialed in once complete. I'd rather not ship. Thanks!
  8. nbndtrain

c33 and c34v Compandor caps backwards?

I know it has been brought up in the past, but it would be good to get an idea of what is correct between the manual and factory cap orientation in the compandor circuits for the c33 and c34v preamps. Attached are actual orientation from the factory and the pertinent part of the SM. Can anyone...
  9. nbndtrain

MC2300 power transformer BUZZ

How loud is your MC2300? Mine is very audible from a few feet away. I am talking about mechanical/physical buzz, NOT through the speakers. It's all from the power transformer. I've ensured all is tightened down and definitely verified it is a bit subdued with the top bell off the transformer...
  10. nbndtrain

c34v recap

On my way to fully recapping a c34v. I have the easy part done with the removable boards. What a treat after working mostly on Marantz and Pioneer units with very short leads. I am now ready to tackle the main board, but have never recapped a unit with double sided solder connections. Are there...
  11. nbndtrain

c34v power cord replacement

What would you do in this situation? I called McIntosh parts and a replacement cord is pretty expensive at $60. The current cord actually works fine, but it needs to be fixed while it's out of rotation. I'll be recapping at the same time, so access shouldn't be an issue. Thanks!
  12. nbndtrain

Pioneer SX glass compatibility

I picked up a nice SX-1010 on eBay and the glass showed up broken, even though the seller removed the tuning knob. I am looking for alternatives, and am wondering about the SX-737. It has three holes, but the tuning knob hole would need to be enlarged. Are the parts identical otherwise? Much...
  13. nbndtrain

eBay NOS power switch caps

anyone tried these? I am in need of a power switch cap for a Marantz 2270 and don't want to buy something that isn't going to look like it came from the factory. Any other options besides eBay? Thanks.
  14. nbndtrain

Finally MC2300

I was finally able to find a really nice MC2300. I can't believe how large these are! It simply dwarfs the MC7270 it will be replacing. This is a 3Y unit with all original outputs and wirewounds. I believe the driver cards have been updated, but not really sure if there are additional updates...
  15. nbndtrain

Anyone recognize this MC2300?

I am trying to purchase an MC2300 in or near the Denver area. I received a response from my craigslist ad and the correspondance has become a bit sketchy. I wanted to check to see if anyone recognized this amp to verify if this is legit, or if someone is trying to scam me. One strange thing is...
  16. nbndtrain

Pioneer CT-93 Elite won't play

I was fortunate enough to recently pick up a Pioneer CT-93 Elite deck, however the Play (and Record) functions do not work. FF and RW work great. It plays without a cassette, and the counter works fine. With a cassette the heads lift for about 3 seconds and then drop back. Anyone have any ideas...
  17. nbndtrain

Marantz 4400 chirp when AC kicks on

My 4400 makes a loud chirp out of both speakers when my AC kicks on in my house. I live in a 1908 house and am fairly certain the main panel is not up to snuff since my lights also dim briefly when the AC comes on. The chirp only happens when in 125WPC mode. It does not happen on either the main...
  18. nbndtrain

Marantz SQA-2B missing channel

I have a Marantz SQA-2B that is missing the right, rear channel in SQ mode. I actually recapped the board, and there was no change. Anyone else successfully repair one of these? Does anyone have the schematic?
  19. nbndtrain

Pioneer CT-F1000 keeper pic

I have gone through a few tape decks over the years, and the last CT-F1000 that I sold really gave me heartburn. I had to track down another one, and found an AK member that had one needing work, but in very nice condition. After replacing all belts, idler tire, tape sensing micro switch, fixing...
  20. nbndtrain

Light reflector heat resistant white paint?

I am looking for heat resistant white paint for a Marantz light reflector (behind the tuning dial) to ensure the correct blue glow. Does anyone have a specific example of a paint and process that works to get the reflector back from yellow to white?
  21. nbndtrain

4400 bias problem after recap and transistors

Recapped the amp boards on my 4400. Also replaced 2 2SC458 transistors with KSC1845. Replaced 4 vd1212's with 2 1N4148's in series each. When trying to bias the left side I am getting 0v from both front and rear channels. DC balance is adjusting fine. At least one relay is clicking, can't tell...
  22. nbndtrain

Marantz 4400 relay and speaker terminal replacement help

I am looking for any additional suggestions on accessing and replacing the relays in a 4400. I have two Omron MY4-02-DC48 relays ready to go. Can someone verify these are appropriate replacements? I need to replace the main speaker terminal strip, so figure I might as well get to the relays...
  23. nbndtrain

Desirable console SET amps?

In response and intrigue to 63pontiacgp's current thread, I wanted to get some opinions on the best way to try out SET amplification at reasonable prices. I started off modding the PP Maggies, are there equivalent models to look for to get a taste of SET?
  24. nbndtrain

Looking for tips on using Fisher 400 Tape Mon

I just refurbished a fisher 400 and want to use it in my main system. I am hung up on the single high level input though. I have seen references to modifying either the Tape Monitor or Tape Head input. Either would be great, and cleaner than a switch box. Can anyone point me to a schematic or...
  25. nbndtrain

CX-1000 popping on CD right channel

My CX-1000 started to pop intermittently on the right channel of CD only. I ignored it for a long time and just used tuner input instead, but would like to fix it. This is just the right channel of the CD input only. I have reflowed all joints for that input through the 2nd row of transistors...
Back
Top Bottom