Search results

1. woofersus

Info on Melody SHW80w monoblocks

Those are from long before my involvement with Melody, so I don't really know any of their specifics, but my first suspicion is that the bias is set incorrectly - particularly for the EL34 tubes having been swapped out for KT88's. What is the model of those amps? Do you have a manual? Or...
  2. woofersus

Has anyone been able to audition the Line Magnetic 218 IA ?

Also the initial investment to open a brick and mortar store is much higher, and I didn't/don't have that kind of money to invest. It's harder to make money in the audio business today than it was 20 years ago, and if you don't have a fortune (or willing investors) and lots of industry contacts...
  3. woofersus

I hate to disappoint, but I don't actually have a shop. I'm online only and work out of my house. (both running my dealer site and working directly for Hugh at ACA a bit) I do sometimes have open box demo gear at home and give demoes of it for people who are interested, though. Feel free to...
  4. woofersus

That's me chomping my gum and having the camera add at least 80lbs to me. Must be a really wide angle lens...:D Melody has had bad luck with US and European distribution in the past because their approach is to just sell the amps at wholesale to a distributor and be completely hands off...
  5. woofersus

I'm guessing he wanted to sell you some other brand, lol. Not that there aren't other nice brands to choose from, but a lie is a lie. It's tough to combat stuff like that when we are a small operation. I grew up in NE Ohio. (in Central Ohio now) It's nice to see some M845's living in my...
  6. woofersus

MWalt, I just happened across this thread and I wanted to clear up any confusion about Melody going out of business. I don't know where or why that rumor started, but there's nothing to it. They are going strong and currently continuing their recent trend of moving further upscale. They...
  7. woofersus

Chinese single ended tube amp recommendations?

Just like anything it depends on how much you want to spend. A lot of people tend to judge Chinese products based on ultra bargain basement products, which will naturally not have high quality parts, significant output iron, or the most selective tube choices. I haven't heard that Musical...
  8. woofersus

Its official YES there will be an 2012 fest !!!!

Looking forward to this. It's nice to have a show within driving distance. Oh, and email sent re exhibitor pricing. We want to come with gear in tow!
  9. woofersus

Nudies of your modern gear!!

Pardon the grainy picture, but here's a money shot of the Onix XIA-160:
  10. woofersus

Melody S300B

Sounds like a can't-lose scenario. Please do let us know how it sorts out. :music:
  11. woofersus

Melody S300B

I've read about some upgrading capacitors with some success, although I never did anything but try different tubes when I had one years back. What really makes Melody's OPT's nice is that they wind their own. The cores are imported from Japan, but everything else is done in-house. They also...
  12. woofersus

Melody S300B

The S300b monos are the predecessors to the M300B monos, which are now the Pure Black 8 monos. They will output 8wpc Class A. I haven't heard that version, (or really anything from that generation of their products) but I can tell you in general what to expect from Melody. They will be fairly...
  13. woofersus

Nicest Wiring/Layout

Wow! That's one impressive wiring job! Here are a couple of mine... Melody AN211 integrated: Melody Pure Black 101 preamp:
  14. woofersus

Amps Using 211 Tubes

About $425 for the pair that comes in the Melody AN211 I mentioned above, although you certainly could spend more if you wanted. That is a bit pricey, but these types of tubes tend to have a relatively long life, (10k+ hours in most cases) so it mitigates your cost a bit.
  15. woofersus

Amps Using 211 Tubes

We recently got in a new product in the Melody AN211 and I freaking love it. I don't really know if the sound is inherent to 211 designs or if there is something special about this one though. I just know that it was a surprising and different tube amp experience for me, and in a very good...
  16. woofersus

Best budget tube amp?

Those Onix SP3's were overachievers when the sold new for ~$1k. The used market isn't as flush as it used to be, but if you can still find one used in the $400-$500 range they're an absolute steal.
  17. woofersus

New (chinese) or used?

Unfortunately I don't know who they all are. I knew of the one example for sure, and have read where somebody who distributes Melody elsewhere in the world said that Melody is building subassemblies for other US brands after learning of it during a factory tour.
  18. woofersus

New (chinese) or used?

Very true. You can't get a new McIntosh amp for $500, (not even a clock.. :scratch2:) and if you think something for $500 from China might measure up, you'll be disappointed. I won't mention the brands but I've heard a lot of inexpensive-but-pretty Chinese tube gear that is fairly popular here...
  19. woofersus

New (chinese) or used?

It's important to note that not all US brands do this, but I don't really know which ones they are. I happen to know about the Genesis thing because it was detailed in 6moons.com reviews of both the Melody I2A3 and Genesis M60's. Melody also builds Mystere on behalf of PrimaLuna, but that one...
  20. woofersus

New (chinese) or used?

There are bad domestic designs too, as well as build quality problems. (and why fret about future repairs to a new amp when planning on rebuilding an old broken down one anyway?) In fact, there are a number of domestic manufacturers that have quite a bit of their build done in China, with just...
  21. woofersus

preamp tube choices

Melody uses 6SN7's in most of their integrated amps (except their high end stuff) as well as their well-regarded preamp. Their tubes are new stock Chinese tubes from Shuguang and TJ Full Music, so there are definitely inexpensive quality new stock 6SN7's out there if you should desire to go...
  22. woofersus

Standalone CD players - worth the hassle?

I agree, having a stanalone cdp is very handy - especially since it's still tough to buy music in lossless formats. I have all my music ripped to my server and I play it through my squeezebox much of the time. (with a stanalone DAC doing the conversion - the SB3 left a little to be desired in...
  23. woofersus

Northwest GTG for Angel City Audio - January 29th

Nice! Glad to see some quality photography took place. :thmbsp:
  24. woofersus

Channel Drifting in and out

Tube problem? Have you checked the bias recently?
  25. woofersus

Advice on Next Upgrade?

First, you mentioned "mp3 stuff." Are you using lossy formats? You would be well served to rip your music to something lossless like FLAC, APE, WMA Lossless, or some such thing. If you're tied to MP3's, at least make sure it's a high bitrate. (256 at least for mp3's IMHO, but I try to stay at...
Back
Top Bottom