Search results

1. vidguy

Sansui AU-D607F Extra - True Bypass Controls?

So I got in this Sansui from Japan in pretty good shape. I noticed (By accident), that I can switch inputs and outputs WITHOUT the amp being even plugged in! I am testing it out, and currently recording from a DAT deck, straight into the amp, and output to a Sony 333ESG tape deck. I have...
  2. vidguy

No Reverse Rec/Erase -Akai GX-77

Trying to bring back a Black GX-77 from the dead. I've spent 2 days doing the mechanicals, and switches. Everything is clean and shiny, mechanically functioning as it should. Playback both directions is pretty good, Rec - 50/50 I'm able to Rec in FWD mode only. Rev Rec does not work, in fact...
  3. vidguy

Audio Input Issues Technics RS-1500

Trying to chase down low/distorted audio input on Left Channel Note: My playback and output are good, no issues. My problem relates to source input only. When testing the deck, left channel source input is noisy, low signal and distortion. The following had already been performed: 1: Cleaned...
  4. vidguy

Akai GX-77 Using Rev Heads for FWD PB/Rec

I should have checked before my post. According to the service manual, they use the same heads. Sorry.
  5. vidguy

Akai GX-77 Using Rev Heads for FWD PB/Rec

I recently have purchased a cheap GX-77 with known problems. One of them being missing right channel output during PB. Assuming the worst possible case - bad head, would I be able to swap reverse PB and Rec heads for FWD? I realize that the tracks don't line up, but what If they can be flipped...
  6. vidguy

Otari MX5050 7.5 IPS calibration issues.

My MX-5050BII will not calibrate at 7.5 IPS, only 15 IPS. At 15 IPS I can easily calibrate bias, rec level and eq via the front panel easily, with tape types ranging from Maxell to LP35 to Capture 930. It's easy and all sounds good. However I am unable to record at 7.5 IPS, on any tape. I...
  7. vidguy

Did Technics change thier overhang from 52mm to 54mm? Or bad gauge?

I recently received a Technics overhang gauge from Technics themselves on Amazon. Here's the thing, using the gauge, if I align the stylus to the end of the gauge, I get 54mm. I am including the rubber washer on the headshell as well. Checked, rechecked over, and over with digital calipers...
  8. vidguy

RT-909 capstan not working - have read through all threads. Need Help

If I supply 12V to this board, the capstan motor spins. It looks like the board is good.
  9. vidguy

RT-909 capstan not working - have read through all threads. Need Help

My precious RT-909's capstan is no longer working. First off. I have gone through all the threads, and have learned a lot, however I'm still at a dead end. The deck: Will FF, RR, Pause, Play and Stop. Reel motors will turn, capstans engage. Everything will run as normal. except.. the capstan...
  10. vidguy

Denon DP47F and disc stabilizers

Great deck. No problem with TTW
  11. vidguy

Hum-50 cycle JVC TT connected to 60 cycle gear

Okay, so I've got hold of a JVC QL-Y66F, big brother to the QL-Y55F Servo Arm TT that I just LOVE to death! Came with both straight and curved arms, manual, and that pesky counterweight insert for those heavier setups. Thing is, it came from England, so it's 240/50. The previous owner...
  12. vidguy

I want a better Open Reel deck.

Dragging this back from the dead. Just to let you guys know I picked up an MX-5050 BII2 Got it locally, in pretty good shape. No razor marks, so I don't think it was used for editing. I'll post once I go through it.
  13. vidguy

Dragging Cassette tapes

I have had the occasional issue with my Dragon not wanting to play a tape, FF or RR for a few seconds always cures it. Is it not an issue the slip sheets in the shell?
  14. vidguy

Dragon in da' house!

Glad you're enjoying your deck. It's hard to beat the Dragon's playback quality. If you have a lot of tapes from different sources, this is the deck to own.
  15. vidguy

Dolby A

I've got TEAC and Nakamichi Dolby units. The Nakamichi NR-200 wins everytime. B/C I'd even go so far as to say the NR-200 was probably the best external Dolby NR box available to the CONSUMER. I think it was also the latest (newest). TEAC specs were pretty poor. 20hz-15khz SN 65dB Having used...
  16. vidguy

Nak RX-505 question

I've got a 505, Dragon and ZX-7. I can confirm that there is no light situated behind the cassette tape's clear window. Just a general top mounted well light.
  17. vidguy

Another Dragon Question.

Not sure what you were expecting, you said you bought the deck knowing it had issues. This is hardly surprising to me, as these decks are almost 30 years old. Even one sitting idle in it's box will likely have issues. Of the 15 cassette decks I've owned over the last 3 years, only 2 have...
  18. vidguy

Nakamichi ZX-7 Dubbing Trouble

I just would like to point out, that if the bias knobs have been tweaked a lot, it is possible that they can get so far out of range, that it seems impossible to calibrate properly. The manual talks about this, and there is a procedure outlined to try to get it in the ballpark. Look this over...
  19. vidguy

Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I will scout out an Otari, as it is reasonably common, has good performance and there are a number of options for restoration. Any deck I get will get an overhaul as a matter of course.
  20. vidguy

Thanks for the offer, I may do that. The board with the DAC has been re-capped at some point. (Not by me), Nichon and Panasonic
  21. vidguy

Nakamichi ZX-7 Dubbing Trouble

I'm assuming you followed the correct level/bias calibration procedures before you started recording. Not meaning to insult, it's just that the ZX-7's manual calibration controls offer enough freedom, so as to completely ruin a recording. I have one as well, and it is possible to duplicate the...
  22. vidguy

I should point out. I'm in Canada. This pretty much limits me what's available and "Fixable" in the North American market. I've ruled out most European brands as a result. You should see the pile of rather pricey B&O gear I have collecting dust, due to various issues, with no realistic repair...
  23. vidguy

Thanks again for the suggestions. The Otari seems like the best fit for me. On a side note, I often see Fostex decks, they were designed for pro musicians/studios I've also noticed no one talks about them, are they a bad choice?
  24. vidguy

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't really care about compatibility, I only make recordings, off of vinyl, CD, FLAC, even radio. I'm an amateur musician, so I also dump my recordings on tape off of my DAW. I've got my mid-level "pretty" decks, now I want to get the best sonic quality I can...
  25. vidguy

Well, I've got an RT-701, an RT-901, and an RT-909, and an Akai GX215D So where do I go from here? I'd like to take a sonic leap forward. Another 4-track, or maybe 2 track?!? What does $2000-$2500 upgrade me to? Caveat - not interested with Akai, 747/635 are too pricey for what they...
Back
Top Bottom