Search results

1. P

Need counterweight for Technics SL-1300 (not mk2)

If I needed a counterweight for a Mk1 1300 "right now" I'd go to ACE hardware, get a big brass bolt, and a rubber sleve. Slip the rubber sleve on the tonearm stub and carefully move the bolt forward and backward to get to your desired tracking weight. I'd also get some duct seal or similar if...
  2. P

Stanton 681EEE, what turntable works great with it??

If you add a dab of vasoline to the brush "hinge" inside the stylus grip of any Stanton 68* or 88*, the brush will now be damped and function similar to the Shure brush. From there you can use any arm you'd like. Also easy to adjust the amount of damping via the amount of vasoline. Here's...
  3. P

Rga RB300 resonance issues and damping

Who cares what it looks like? If it sounds better, great. My modded tonearms look ridiculous but sound outstanding. Never understood why anyone would care what a piece of audio gear looks like?? It's not jewlery, its a tool to do a job. Cheers, Pat
  4. P

Thinking about Technics SL-1200GR

Your experience is not uncommon. I've gone into detail in other posts but will recap here for those who may not have seen my previous posts. Nearly ALL used 1200 Mkx turntables sound well off the mark from when they left the factory. The tonearm is built up from many smaller bits and held...
  5. P

Broadcast turntables?

The Technics MK2 arm for sure is versatile but not very good sounding. I do a ton of structural mods on the arm and surrounding area and it sounds quite good when completed. Not pretty looking but functional. I dont sweat cosmetics but also refuse to pay the cost of a car to have dynamic...
  6. P

thrift shop vinyl - best option to not trash your cartridge

It has been my position that anyone who endeavors in cheap/used/thrift store/dollar bin/dumpster/yard sale etc vinyl should have a dedicated turntable for auditioning and occasional listening. I have thousands of records acquired that way, probably half of them cleaned up to be great, 10% -...
  7. P

AT-VM95EN vs AT-VM95SH: Blind test comparison (w/ audio samples)

Hi! Love your comparison videos, I've watched them all. Appreciate all the work you do sharing great info. The Jelco upgrade was noticible by the way and addresses the dark/boomy/zingy quality of the stock arm. I do extensive mods to my technics arms to get those qualities out and after the...
  8. P

New cart - Stanton 681EEE

it was a simple mistake, apologies. Pat
  9. P

Indeed, the D1200 should want around 1.5 grams and would likely fully colapse at 3.5 grams. Pat
  10. P

The "character" of their tone is the same as the "EL" and "AL" styli that were also part of that series but with better detail and none of the mistracking distortion of the other tips. Compared to the D6800EEE-S ll, they lack the airyness of the "hifi" tip but to me sound more dynamic and...
  11. P

Speaking from extensive experience with the "SL" stylus, the compliance/mass of that stylus wants around 3.5 grams to track properly. In professional use I tracked them at 4 grams - at that weight they were stable in back cuing and played every record without sibilance or distortion. Records...
  12. P

Do you have a Stanton Epoch II?

I have an epoch ll "9" stylus. With the plastic trimmed it fits perfectly into the standard 981 low impedance body. It's the best sounding stylus in the collection currently. Coated cantilever is (very) slightly clearer and more dimensional sounding than standard 981 stylus which is of course...
  13. P

Where the heck did you find D6800SL? I was one of the handful of people who actually used them professionally back in the day and threw dozens in the trash as I rotated out worn styli for new ones. Sigh-- I have one remaining that is worn but does work, would be a candidate for a retip...
  14. P

XLZ-7500s

With the low impedence bodies the tuning of stylus to generator does not apply. Each stylus still has its own character of course but the low impedence bodies are kind of like a "jail break" for the various moving magnet styli. Pat
  15. P

XLZ-7500s

Exciting! FYI that 7500 is sort of a universal body for any Stanton moving magnet stylus. I use both D83s and D5100E Mk2 as daily drivers on that body along with D98-llS, a butchered Epoch 9 stylus (with coated cantilever) Pickering DL2e, and a few others. I have no problem snipping a bit...
  16. P

Audio Technica VMN750SH vs ATN155LC

Stylus is from the AT SS335 E/U Bushed .4 x .7 on very thin low mass anodized cantilever. Bush and tip are tiny/low mass. At 1.75 grams tacking force it plays without distortion, sibilance or IGD and sounds exacxtly the way a quality .4 x .7 should. Pat
  17. P

Curious About The AT VM95C? DJ Ian is Live On-Air Until 10PM Eastern

https://s8.citrus3.com:2020/AudioPlayer/collegeparkradio College Park Radio Technics 1200Mk2's AT VM95C Pioneer DJM800 Mixer/Preamps
  18. P

Nice collection! I'm still learning the ins and outs of AT, my expertise is Stanton/Pickering. In my photo you see the blue .4 x .7 on small anodized cantilver p-mount stylus. Forgive me for not remembering its exact model number. .4 x .7 is a great tip size for some older recordings...
  19. P

Brush is attached to cartridge so different styli can be used. Yes the AT stylus guard must be removed to use. I used precision nips to hollow out the carcass and super glue to hold in place. Pat
  20. 1233

21. P

I have attached a shure damping brush to my VM700 body which allows the high complaince 155 stylus to work great in my mid-high mass arm. It makes the body very versatile and the 155 stylus rides smoothly with no wiggle, wobble, bounce or drama. Pat
  22. P

Stanley Engineering Shop aftermarket wood bodies - any feedback?

I have three of the wood bodies for the Stanton 681. VTA needs to be set manually when installing and I glue the assembly together. I notice an improvement in sound quality and believe it is due to the large flat mounting surface of the wood body stiffening and damping the headshell vs the...
  23. P

Stanley Engineering Shop aftermarket wood bodies - any feedback?

Shure was producing 28,000 cartridges per day at their peak. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shure#Phonograph_cartridges
  24. P

Hello friends. Some of you may recall a few months ago I was able to purchase two ATN155LC styli new in sealed packaging. Today I was able to listen to one of them. Everything I disliked about the 750SH (mild brightness, slight high frequency sheen, lack of image depth) is solved with the...
  25. P

Rate these cartridges

M95 = great cart. Balanced, smooth, resolving, unfussy. Approx one billion stylus choices available. ADC really nice with a proper stylus. I have the ADC light tracking nude elliptical and it's really open and smooth and resolving. Used the heavy tracking conical for a while at my radio...
Back
Top Bottom