Search results

1. bwaslo

Todays producers of big dual-consentric speaker elements?

https://www.parts-express.com/Search.aspx?keyword=coaxial%20driver&sitesearch=true
  2. bwaslo

3D printing thread - Who's printing what?

Fusion360. Not easy to start with, but once you 'get it' (in spite of the lack of decent documentation!) it becomes pretty quick and easy to design engineering type things. Free to use if you don't make more than $100k/yr in your operation.
  3. bwaslo

The walls had to be thick with pretty dense infill. Early ones with low infill would sound sound funny.. The printer has a 300mm x 300mm bed, the big horn was printed in two halve. The smaller "stub" (made to have the mouth extended with plywood) prints in one piece, which just barely fit...
  4. bwaslo

Here are some waveguides I 3D printed -- horn stub assembly pics: http://libinst.com/SynergyDIY/Assy%20Pics.pdf
  5. bwaslo

Looking for very high sound quality class-D kit amp.

Have you looked here? https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/
  6. bwaslo

Why a power amp catastrophically fail (sparks), and how can I protect it (me)?

One other possibility -- you don't have any kind of load across it that puts a large capacitance (say 0.5uF or more) right across the amp's output terminals by chance? That will make a lot of amps go into oscillation, and bipolar class AB amps don't oscillate "gracefully" - each output...
  7. bwaslo

Marantz 2275 stereo receiver-main in/preout rca plastic plate...

http://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/welcome-to-barter-town-preview.364230/
  8. bwaslo

Thoughts on building a 4ohm Lpad, attenuation for add on tweeters?

Another easy option -- if you know that there will always be at least 6dB of attenuation needed (probably true with most tweeters with a diy crossover), just put a 4 ohm resistor in series with your tweeter and us an 8 ohm L-Pad. Crossover has to be designed for use with an 8 ohm tweeter then...
  9. SEOS12 2512 Xover

SEOS12 2512 Xover

in answer to request.....
  10. SEOS12 crossover

SEOS12 crossover

crossover example circuits
  11. bwaslo

Best adhesive for heat sinks?

I'm not sure it is in this case, but cyanoacrylate (basically, super glue with an accelerator) is often used in electronic manufacture to hold things to boards. I've seen it turn brownish with heat like that. But silicone adhesive will work, too, and will likely handle heat better.
  12. bwaslo

MCM Electronics to merge with Newark (Element 14)

Haven't they been the same company for years? Different storefronts, but same company?
  13. bwaslo

Why SET amp or T-amp for full-range single driver?

One thing might be because SET is a class-A type, which doesn't have any weird kinks when the waveform gets very low near zero amplitude (as class-AB amps tend to before feedback). Class D also doesn't do anything radical near zero crossings than elsewhere in the waveform. T-Amps actually have...
  14. bwaslo

Recommendations for cost effective Digital multimeter

I've had a bunch of cheapies, got tired of never knowing whether the reading was right or whether the switch in the DVM wasn't making good contact on all points (a VERY common problem with cheap DVMs it seems). Finally I got an old FLUKE benchtop unit, which saves time and sanity. Not the most...
  15. bwaslo

Mystery Mono Amp

I'd bet it's a homebrew, built in a standard Bud box. Neither of which is a bad thing.
  16. bwaslo

My JBL 2397 Horn clones

I think the height is so short that they don't have any vertical directivity, probably going omnidirectional in the vertical at about 10kHz. Lots of diffraction, though, Geddes wouldn't approve. Pattern control works the opposite way that most folks think, to make a narrow pattern to lower...
  17. bwaslo

Tell us about your weirdest issue

I had a (DIY) outboard DAC that would blank out for several seconds everytime there was a static spark anywhere in the room. Get up or sit down in a certain channel and you get a short period of silence. Or walk over one one of the rugs. Or pet a cat. My fix was to get rid of the damn thing...
  18. bwaslo

Conductive Ink Track shows resistance

Those aren't meant to be 'conductive tracks', they are indeed resistors (Kenwood took 'printed circuit' a littler further than usual for a few years there). You need to not mess with them unless they are truly broken, which unless the board got cracked, is very unlikley -- the reason they were...
  19. bwaslo

Got a Curve Tracer; It's working; Is it good enough?

That looks pretty neat, and is a handy thing to have for matching transistors. But unfortunately I don't think there's a way that curve tracer can shed light to test your friend's hypothesis about problems to do with the speed of any of the transistors (which might make your amplifier...
  20. bwaslo

Wire strippers- looking for a good tool

Electric heat strippers, if you can get a good deal on one (ebay is where I found mine). Makes stripping a lot of wires much faster, and almost no effort. Also about the only good way to strip teflon wire without effort and time. But they tend to be expensive (used mostly by manufacturers...
  21. bwaslo

Getting rid of wire wraps

Nope. A good idea, actually.
  22. bwaslo

Universal Tigers

If they come up ok, they'll likely do ok with subs. As I remember, these didn't like capacitive loads (like electrostatic speakers or some exotic cables) and may smoke from the dislike, but subs are pretty benign. The big blue filter caps may well be past their "replace-by-date" though, they...
  23. bwaslo

Linkwitz-Riley Crossover

Just a thought -- did you check the pinout on the +tive regulator? It's not the same as for the -tive regulator!
  24. bwaslo

I want to be an audio repair man!

Glad you're thinking of it more out-of-interest than career. It's not a great career choice if you like to do things like eat and sleep indoors, you're fighting the throw-away culture every day. How many times did I hear a different version of "XX$$ to fix it! But it only cost YY$$ to buy...
  25. bwaslo

There is one thing I do not like about Magnepan speakers

Just get another pair and make horizontal shelves with them
Back
Top Bottom