Search results

1. StimpyWan

Speakerlab kit speakers

Were any of the Nestorovic designs available as Speakerlab kits? I've always wanted to hear any of those models, as well as later Nestorovic designs, but have never had the opportunity.
  2. StimpyWan

Electrostatic vs planars

I currently own Martin Logan EM-ESL electrostatics and Monsoon FPF-1000 planar speakers. Some very good cone speakers too, from Acoustic Research and Infinity. Plus, I've heard Acoustat Ones, 1+1's and 2+2's, and Final Sound stats, VMPS planars, and Pipe Dream line arrays at shows. Finally...
  3. StimpyWan

Metallized Polypropylene vs non-polar electrolytics for cross-over caps larger than 10 uf ?

Parts Connexion and Sonic Craft both offer small and large value Mundorf E-Caps. Good caps too.
  4. StimpyWan

Opinions on buying a used Oppo

Oppo players are still covered by a flat-rate repair service. So, it seems like a no-brainer to give a player a try...! Good luck.
  5. StimpyWan

Cap matching (literally!); ClarityCaps physically different?

Me too. My excessive compulsive tendencies would emerge, and I'd have to match a pair of caps. Even now, I'd order a 3rd cap, and install the 2 that (hopefully) match...! :oops:
  6. StimpyWan

Adcom Amps

The GFA 5802 is one of the Mosfet based Adcom amps. A little warmer, and more tube-like in tone. My GFA 5400 is too, and works very nicely with my Martin Logan ESL-EM speakers. The 5400 is very good at image placement; you get a solid soundstage with the ability to see the performers...
  7. StimpyWan

Infinity RS. 2.5 boxes only. What to do?

Find a published DIY project. Something that has a completed crossover design, and drivers that could work with those cabinets. Sticking random drivers in, and hoping for the best, won't work without have a finished crossover to model. Good luck...!
  8. StimpyWan

Acoustic Research AR92 Woofer Replacement

Make sure they're mounted against a wall, for proper bass loading.
  9. StimpyWan

Speaker ID TSW?

Those look more like something from ACI, Audio Concepts. They have a forum here...!
  10. StimpyWan

Sonicap Capacitor Cost

I'm not sure about costs, as I've yet to try Sonicaps. But, when I have priced out capacitors, Sonicraft is usually the cheapest. Though, you could also check with Danny Richie at GR Research. Danny carries Sonicaps too.
  11. StimpyWan

Meyersound HD-1 repair

I agree with @KingBubba. Meyer Sound is the only source for the proper repair of HD-1's. Only Meyer knows the driver and amp designs. Plus, HD-1's use a proprietary resistor system to tweak the speakers to flat frequency response during final QC. It's not a cheap service, but you'll...
  12. StimpyWan

Do different vendor crossover caps really sound all that different?

I've done similar. Change caps, with different brands in each speaker. I've narrowed down different brands, testing this way. Now, I typically only use Mundorf, after comparing at least 6 brands of caps in A/B tests.
  13. StimpyWan

Do different vendor crossover caps really sound all that different?

Are they a GR Research Danny Richie design...?
  14. StimpyWan

Audio Concept speakers?

Maybe try at the ACI Forum too...! Good luck.
  15. StimpyWan

ads L710 recap for bass?

That's what I do...! :thumbsup:
  16. StimpyWan

ads L710 recap for bass?

I follow this belief on bypass caps. Never found a problem as such. From Danny Richie: "Think of a capacitor as an energy storage device. The larger it is the more it can store. Also the larger it is the slower the rate of discharge. Think of it as power in... charging up... then discharging...
  17. StimpyWan

Emit K tweeter distortion in Kappa 8

Maybe spray clean those pots while in there as well. Work the knobs around to clean the wipers.
  18. StimpyWan

The Emit tweeter circuits are different for the front and rear drivers. So, capacitors or polyswitches on both could be defective. Especially if the speakers were over-driven, or if the previous owner used an amp that often went into clipping, one the 8's. Clipping can also kill film...
  19. StimpyWan

The Kappa 8's used Solen film capacitors on the Emits, so they shouldn't have gone bad. But, the front tweeters did use 1A-30 polyswitch, to protect the tweeters. The polyswitches can go bad over time. Maybe that's the cause of the distorsion? Parts Express sells several different values of...
  20. StimpyWan

Klipsch KG4 and which capacitor for woofers

If you want to try poly bass caps, these 33uF Axon caps would be very good. Fairly cheap too at Parts Connexion. 33uF Axon
  21. StimpyWan

ads L710 recap for bass?

This Parts Express 100uF cap will work. Plus, this 0.10uF Dayton film and foil bypass capacitor is what I often use. Just wire the 100 and the 0.10uF caps together in parallel.
  22. StimpyWan

ads L710 recap for bass?

Failing capacitors do tend to drift higher in reading as they age. So the woofers might be seeing higher frequencies than they'd like. Easy and cheap enough to try fresh caps, in the hope they'd improve performance. A bypass cap on the bass electrolytic could help too, as some say the bypass...
  23. StimpyWan

Dahlquist DQ-20 Crossover Upgrade/Sub replacement

After seeing the stock caps in your speakers, you already have Solen poly caps, and what looks to be a Mylar, and those should be fine. So, I agree with @Blue Shadow, with the bass electrolytic cap being the only capacitor that would truly needed replacing. Can the stock caps be bettered, yes...
  24. StimpyWan

Dahlquist DQ-20 Crossover Upgrade/Sub replacement

There was a recent discussion on AK about those replacement Advent woofers. While new, which is always nice, they weren't felt to match the original Advent specs. From what I recall, the suspension was too stiff, and they didn't have the low end response of the originals. Still, I'd probably...
  25. StimpyWan

ads L710 recap for bass?

This AK Thread discusses recapping the 710's. But, there appears to be different versions of the speakers. Be sure you know which version your's is, before ordering parts? Plus, the larger 90/100uF axial capacitors will be the bass caps. You'll probably have to use new electrolytic...
Back
Top Bottom