Search results

1. Johnny B

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

Spice Girls: The Greatest Hits (2020 Virgin Records, original release 2007) I think chronological order is a poor choice for this one. It’s really front loaded.
  2. Johnny B

Audio Classics in NY for non Mcintosh gear

I bought my Marantz blu ray player (new) from them in 2013. I’m pretty happy. It’s a bit more of a drive for me now, but if they had something I wanted that I couldn’t get locally, I’d buy from them again.
  3. Johnny B

Quality of older and newer recordings

It would appear so. This appears to be the original release: https://www.discogs.com/Brahms-Arthur-GrumiauxConcertgebouw-Orchestra-Amsterdam-Eduard-Van-Beinum-Violin-Concerto/release/4154846
  4. Johnny B

What have you accomplished this weekend?

Made it home from Florida. That’s quite enough for one weekend.
  5. Johnny B

What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

King Buffalo: Dead Star EP (2020 self-released) What a day. Got in from my vacation in Florida at 1 AM. Spent today buying all the stuff I didn’t stock up on before I left and picking up some stuff from work. Will be working from home until further notice. At least this came in the mail today.
  6. Johnny B

What tickets are in your pocket? (What's the next concert you are headed to?)

I saw last night that all LiveNation & AEG were suspending touring through the end of March. I’m pretty sure Parsons was on the AEG list. Now, of course, I can’t find the list, but the announcement is on Rolling Stone’s website and other places.
  7. Johnny B

Coronavirus News -- PLEASE No Politics

I’m on vacation in Florida and getting ready to head home. I was supposed to go to a beer festival in Tampa tonight that got cancelled. Going down there to pick up my bottles and hit the road. Right now, at my mom’s in central Florida and it hasn’t seemed bad yet. We were at the grocery store on...
  8. Johnny B

Really odd problem with a CD

Is it turning on shuffle mode or just starting at a random track and playing through from there if you unpause it?
  9. Johnny B

Your favourite music - how many copies and/or formats?

I have multiple copies of a few things. Sometimes it’s CD and vinyl. Occasionally, it’s multiple CD copies, usually for different bonus tracks on reissues. I think I have seven copies of Dark Side of the Moon: Original vinyl, 2016 vinyl, 20th Anniversary CD, CD from the Shine On box set...
  10. Johnny B

How to listen to digital music on an older setup?

Bandcamp. Lots of new and lesser-known artists and small record labels have music for sale. Sometimes there are physical releases, sometimes not. But there are always downloads available. I have yet to find anything that wasn’t available as a FLAC, but they aren’t always hi-res. For playing...
  11. Johnny B

Listen Up & Pay Attention...

I’m so sorry, Sandy. To everyone else: listen to the man. I used to do trusts and estates work, and you’re doing all of your loved ones a favor, and maybe yourself, if you take care of these things while you’re healthy and able to.
  12. Johnny B

Bands you don't especially care for. Except for that one album you love.

Not a band, but what comes readily to mind is St. Vincent. I like the self-titled album from a few years ago, but I never really cared for much of the rest of her music. And that includes the follow-up to that album. Also, I haven’t heard all of the albums, but the only Sleater-Kinney record...
  13. Johnny B

Can anyone shed insight on if this DSotM Blu Ray will work?

No, it doesn’t. It looks like a bootleg.
  14. Johnny B

Digital Master or Vinyl Master recording to cassette?

If you’re getting a vinyl master, it would be for the actual vinyl mastering. You give that version to the cutting engineer. The other master goes to everyone else (Bandcamp, Spotify, etc.). It’s probably not that different. Slightly different eq, different limiting, that sort of thing. For low...
  15. Johnny B

Phono Cartridge Recommendations - Preferably < $200

I don’t know why you would go for the Ortofon 2m series over an upgrade VM95 stylus. The Red isn’t great, especially at the price. Once I noticed the weirdness in the high-end, I can’t unhear it. For a little more money than what the Red costs, you can get the ML for the VM95. Or I think the...
  16. Johnny B

Total noob wanting to put together a decent vintage starter system. A few questions.

No worries. It’s a lot to learn fast. Questions only lead to more questions. :)
  17. Johnny B

I have a spreadsheet. It’s at 1200 rows or something. I don’t know the actual count of bands, though, since I’ve seen a bunch multiple times. I need to load it into R and do some analysis on it. That’s what passes for fun around my house. When I’ve been in bands, I still see as many shows, but...
  18. Johnny B

It did take me over 23 years (first show, 8/16/1996 Plattsburgh, show 50, 12/31/2019 MSG).
  19. Johnny B

Oh nice. I’m still going to go see KB headline in Syracuse next month even though they’re coming to Buffalo. We used to live there, so I go often anyway. And I like the venue. Way better sound than the place they usually play in Buffalo. I’ve never seen The Sword, but looking forward to checking...
  20. Johnny B

What's the smallest audio equipment you own?

My travel system, currently sitting in a hotel room. FiiO X5 III and Bose Soundlink III.
  21. Johnny B

I saw 53 shows last year. There was a thread here about how people save money to afford their gear that was a lot of “I buy cheaper food so I can buy better gear” and lots of nickel-pinching. I was all yeah, I could buy better gear but I spend all my money going to concerts and buying records...
  22. Johnny B

Toslink vs S/PDIF?

Sometimes people refer to a coax connection as “S/PDIF” and optical as “Toslink,” which is confusing. But they’re both moving S/PDIF data. Just one is electrical and the other optical. As far as I know, no one has implemented any other standard over optical in consumer audio (as opposed to pro...
  23. Johnny B

What Is Your Level Of Education???

Ain’t that the truth. That’s why I had to get out eventually. I’m much happier in the medium-sized cities than in the small city (pop. 34,000-ish) I grew up in. There was a college town 30 miles away. We used to go there a lot for shows and whatever. I very much had the thought, “these are my...
  24. Johnny B

Thinking About a Train Travel Vacation. Any Tips?

Apart from a short Buffalo to Syracuse trip while I was moving, I’ve only taken the auto train. We did that for a few years for our annual trip back to Florida. We drove down to DC from Syracuse in the morning to pick it up. Sanford is like 15 miles from where my parents live, so the destination...
  25. Johnny B

Your Last Concert (or two)

February 28, 2020, Photo City Improv, Rochester, NY Root Shock (2 sets) Openers cancelled because they did want to drive up from Virginia into the snow, so Root Shock played two sets. They pulled out some old stuff I hadn’t heard in a while, which was nice. I hadn’t been to the venue before...
Back
Top Bottom