Search results

1. D

The Official -Technics SL-1600/1700/1800- Owners Thread

There are a plethora of counterweights out there with the right diameter for your arm - getting a small collection of different CW's (of differing weights) can make the tonearm far more flexible! You also have massive adjustment with the headshell - the lightest I have are around 5g, and the...
  2. D

I do like the SAS styli, and the 205C is an excellent body, with laminated core etc... If you want to go the AT path try to find a NOS AT150MLX - that too had a boron cantilever - but better (lower mass) than the Jico item The VM95 or AT95 (or any of its many many brethren under various...
  3. D

Strain Gauge catridges

Unles you already have the requisite ADC/DAC and software.... In terms of filtering, the physics question is, does the SG behave as a minimum phase system (and therefore when you correct F/R using minimum phase, you also correct the phase/impulse response)... cos in that case you can choose...
  4. D

You could try adjusting the loading - MM cartridges can go through dramatic transformations with loading adjustment. Just off the cuff, based on your description, adding some capacitance might help - but to know for sure would require measurement and calculation.
  5. D

You need to be careful with suspensing - adding more "suspension" can shift the resonant frequency of the overall system into a problem zone. You should evaluate the current "system" for its resonance(s) - and then decide what if anything needs to be done... with the Technics suspended models...
  6. D

High-end P-mount styles dilemma...

So with arm set at 1.25, and the styles being around 0.25g heavier, actual vtg will be 1.5g. This happens to be close to optimal for the At440mla... so no need to adjust anything!
  7. D

High-end P-mount styles dilemma...

It is a body from the mainstream VM family which includes the AT440's, AT150's AT540 etc.. All of the styli from any of these cartridges will fit properly - BUT If you are using it with a non adjustable p-mount tonearm - you need to make sure it is one of the high compliance variants that can...
  8. D

Ortofon OM10 Super thoughts...

The design of the cantilever suspension incorporates both "springing" (compliance) and damping - the more damping - the wider the range of arms it will suit. Still - the "ideal" - following the research of Shure and others through the 60's and 70's - is to minimise the damping influence at the...
  9. D

Well, even if the resonance is in a "bad spot" - if the record is flat, and the TT is well isolated from external vibration - then the resonance would be minimally triggered... (the joys of lots of variables in a complex system!) We can talk about the ideals - but there will always be heaps of...
  10. D

As I recall, some of the Jelco's are oil damped - that would, in theory, allow some compatibility with higher compliance cartridges.... But ultimately - the best possible outcome - is to match cartridge with arm, and then to add some fluid damping, so that even though the resonance is where it...
  11. D

Supposed to be plug and play - but always best to check... (if the styli have the needle in the same position, then PnP)
  12. D

Shure M97HE Era IV stylus options?

I've used the SAS on my M97 - it is excellent... I would make sure I purchased a line contact needle ... HE, Shibata, Vivid Line, or SAS...etc... If you can stretch to the SAS, it is worthwhile, but otherwise, make sure you get a line contact needle - it will last longer, cause less wear (on...
  13. D

Should I upgrade my Dual CS 5000 turntable with a MC cartridge or get a Rega P6 with same cartridge?

Makes sense - the original was high compliance - the re-release not so much!
  14. D

Should I upgrade my Dual CS 5000 turntable with a MC cartridge or get a Rega P6 with same cartridge?

The re-release version, or the original MC20 Super?
  15. D

For something special - take a look at the Soundsmith cartridges - on special order, they will make them in high compliance version for low mass arms... https://www.sound-smith.com/cartridge-compliancearm-mass-chart
  16. D

Yes it does, most of the current Ortofon MC's would not be a good match for that arm either - anything with optimal VTF over 1.6g is probably not going to track well in that arm... that arm will do best with something tracking at 1.2 to 1.5g
  17. D

From memory, the LM's look similar but have some differences (would need to search for the details to confirm)
  18. D

I picked up an old ALDI digital microscope some 12 years ago, specifically for taking stylus pics... it's a USB connected kids toy... but with a bit of time and patience you can get decent pics with it!
  19. D

The "nude" needles, as opposed to "bonded" tend to be lighter - lower effective mass, which moves the resonant frequency of the cantilever up higher - further from the main audible frequencies, allowing for improved tracking - this appart from the actual needle profile. I have some lovely...
  20. D

Go for the LPGear versions with Vivid Line or Shibata styli (for OM30/40)- at half the price of the Ortofon originals they are excellent value - and will bring the lower wear and longer life benefits along with improved tracking ability... But they won't sound the same as the originals due to...
  21. D

Aftermarket replacements for Stylus5/10/20 are OK... But above that level, performance is primarily driven by effective mass - which in turn is 95% in the cantilever... the non OEM OM30/40 styli, with various types of line contact needle, while they will provide the benefits of a line contact...
  22. D

In the OM range, the quality took a substantial step up with the OM20, the OM30 used the same cantilever (hence very very similar "voicing") but added a finer needle with a mild line contact profile - so better tracking at high frequencies... the OM40 took that principle to the max with an...
  23. D

If you can find an OM30 or OM40 stylus - they plug straight in - and is a performance game changer.... assuming that your arm is low mass... or low-medium mass but with fluid or EM damping
  24. D

JVC QL-?? owners thread

It's an excellent arm - and if it had oil damping as well, it would be able to handle high compliance cartridges (like the empire) The similar mass electronic arms on the QLY series of TT's add electronic damping (rather than oil damping) - and are able to handle high compliance cartridges...
  25. D

JVC QL-?? owners thread

The High Compliance part of the description is marketing hyperbole.... it's an arm that is good with medium to low compliance cartridges... anything that is true "high compliance" won't be a great match. - as you have observed... a DL103 matches well!! Which is not to say there is anything...
Back
Top Bottom