Search results

1. A

A Most Unusual Record Changer!

I have one of those, needs to be cleaned and lubed.
  2. A

Replacement stylus question - Shure

Well that didn't work, they sent me an email to say it's not really in stock. I was hoping to find a real Shure that would fit.
  3. A

Thanks for all the replies. I found a Shure NE95ED online and ordered it last night. Hopefully it will sound good.
  4. A

My teenaged son was given a JVC turntable, maybe early 80's vintage. I don't have the model number right now but it's direct drive, fully automatic. Cartridge is Shure R25XT. The diamond broke off the cantilever of the original 3X stylus. In reading here, I realize this is the Radio...
  5. A

Let's see some of your Tube Testers

Where do you get socket savers? And if inserting/removing tubes will wear a socket, how are the socket savers immune from that?
  6. A

Proof positive that the world has gone berserk

At least the shipping is free.
  7. A

What exactly does matched tubes mean?

That's good!
  8. A

Looking at Buying an Old Tube Amp

My assumption is any old unit would need a recap. My main concern would be the transformers, since they are the most expensive parts. If this is the Fisher amp that's on CL in Cincinnati, the seller told me that the price would be higher if I brought a meter to see if the transformers were...
  9. A

What exactly does matched tubes mean?

If you are buying tubes off eBay, it might mean that none of the tubes has broken glass.
  10. A

Large Advent and Infinity RS8b

My friend gave me two pair of speakers. The first pair are original large Advent in walnut veneer. There has been water damage and the cabinets are probably ruined because the lower edges are separating and the particle board is swollen. The woofers need refoaming. Is there any point in...
  11. A

First venture into pioneer vintage (SA-940), not so good...

Maybe you should verify the speakers still work too.
  12. A

Need a fisher 400 restored near Cincinnati

Hmmm, I'm in Cincinnati and in the middle of restoring my Fisher 400. I'm also in the middle of restoring a Fisher TA-600, rebuilding a Fender Super Reverb, repairing an Egnator Renegade, rebuilding an Eddy Merckx bike, rebuilding a table saw, cleaning out the garage so my wife can park there...
  13. A

Why do some Eico's hum when grounded?

And be aware that for the polarized cord to do its job, the outlet must be wired correctly, with the neutral line to the larger slot of the outlet.
  14. A

Sansui 331 Receiver Issues

Do you have a picture of that 331?
  15. A

Scott R307 - no protection circuit?

Was that on youtube?
  16. A

Scott R307 - no protection circuit?

Just picked up a Scott R307 receiver, circa 1977. I don't know the specs but seems to have a decent amount of power. When switched on, the speakers play the audio immediately with no delay. Is this expected or a defect in the protection circuit? If there is no protection circuit, I...
  17. A

Pair of Dukane tube PA amps

If they sound good, they're good. I wouldn't stack them because of the heat though.
  18. A

Best way to remove segmented cap cans?

Use the biggest tip you have. You need thermal mass because the chassis is a huge heatsink.
  19. A

why can't you short speaker wires with your fingers?

College physic teacher told us this story as part of the Ohm's law lecture: A curious fellow grabbed the probes of an ohm meter and noticed his bodies resistance was around 1 Mohm. He licked his fingers and noticed the resistance dropped. He decided the resistance at the skin was hindering...
  20. A

Listening to headphones directly from speaker outs - hum issues

Listen to Kegger. The headphones are just allowing you to hear the low level hum the amp is producing. It has nothing to do with the interface between the output transformer and the headphones. The amp just hums a little and can probably be improved.
  21. A

Hi-Fi to Guitar Amp Conversion... Please Help!

Your Champ has two gain stages. Without adding another tube, the best you will get with what you have is a single gain stage since it uses half of a tube for the phase inverter. With half the gain of a Champ, your best bet is ditch the tone stack (very lossy) and go with a simple one knob tone...
  22. A

Need help with Fender Super Reverb rectifier mod

SS rectifiers give the amp a different feel and response compared to tube rectifiers. It was probably done to make the amp more versatile for the musician. With the switch flipped to SS diode, the power supply stiffens up to be like a Bassman. But since the bias need to be reset after...
  23. A

Need help with Fender Super Reverb rectifier mod

When you flip the switch and change the B+, the output tube bias will shift and should be reset. I would scrap the whole idea.
  24. A

Best 6BQ5 PP receiver?

I have a Pioneer SX-40 receiver with EL84s but I have no reason to think it's the best. Looks nice though, IMO.
Back
Top Bottom