Search results

1. ToTo Man

the band not the dog

the band not the dog
  2. ToTo Man

Happy Birthday to ToTo Man!

Thanks guys for the well wishes :). It really is touching to know that although I have not posted on the forum in a (long!) time my contribution is still remembered. I am still enjoying my hifi and music, albeit in a far less active way than before, but it is still a lifeline in keeping me...
  3. ToTo Man

Happy Birthday to ToTo Man!

Hello my audio friends. My absence from this forum has indeed been a significant one and I do apologize for this. Even though I don't post, I still lurk around here when I'm able to and I still enjoy reading your posts. My health has challenged me this past year due to a series of ailments...
  4. ToTo Man

happy birthday ToTo Man!

Thanks guys! :) It means a lot to know I'm still in your thoughts. Though I may not post much anymore, I still peruse the forum regularly, although I do find it much harder now to keep up with all the new daily posts such is the amazing ever-increasing size and diversity of the forum :thmbsp...
  5. ToTo Man

SR-6000 DC kaput.

True... I guess that means I now have no hunch at all at to what the problem is! :D ....
  6. ToTo Man

SR-6000 DC kaput.

Mine died of the exact same symptoms last year. Switched it off one day it was working fine, powered it back up a few weeks later and no relay 'click' on power-up. Looking inside the only fuse I could see was the 500mA fuse on the power supply board but it seems fine. Also tried tapping on...
  7. ToTo Man

Which speaker to choose: IMF, ADS, or Magnat?

I own the IMF ALS40 mkIIa, amongst other IMFs. I must say I've never found the bass response to be quirky or problematic, it sounds just fine to my ears, but then again my ears have not been trained to pick-up on out-of-time or out-of-phase bass, but I definitely haven't noticed any reasonances...
  8. ToTo Man

Should I be worried that my SX-1250 power transformer buzzes?

That's a factor I hadn't considered. I guess I should purchase an appliance that will tell me what my AC is like.
  9. ToTo Man

Ok thanks. Also I've just noticed that the buzzing is more cyclical rather than constant, i.e. it is quiet for a few seconds (maybe 20 or so) and then it gets louder for a similar period and then it goes back to being quiet again. And this is not in relation to any volume settings etc. Don't...
  10. ToTo Man

I'll check the bias and stabiliser readings in case they are off. I've got the SM in front of me so I know what pins I'm reading, but I do have a dumb question. Is there a specific place on the receiver I can get 'ground' or are they just meaning any part of the outer chassis?
  11. ToTo Man

Even seemingly straightforward repairs are never as straightforward as they should be, are they?! Don't know if this helps narrow it down but the buzz doesn't seem to be as loud when the unit is first switched on as it is after a few hours.
  12. ToTo Man

No they haven't been changed. I know this is a mod commonly done on the SX-1250 but I had a quick look when I first got it to see if I could see any signs of leakage but I didn't notice anything. Admittedly I didn't take any DMM readings or the like as I am a novice when it comes to servicing...
  13. ToTo Man

Since getting my SX-1250 back in 2006 I noticed a very quiet hum from (I think) the power transformer, but the hum was very quiet and only noticeable when my ear was placed within a few cm's it. I figured this is normal as a few of my other amps also make this noise. But more recently, maybe...
  14. ToTo Man

Kef concerto...should I???

On a positive note they do have extremely impressive flat bass response down to 35Hz according to my spec sheet, with useable output down to the upper 20's Hz. This is really impressive given the relatively small and simple 62L enclosure type. If fact I was so impressed that I bought a pair of...
  15. ToTo Man

Kef concerto...should I???

How do you find the top end is in your Concerto's? I too have a pair with the older T27 tweeters and, well, they have sat collecting dust for the past few years because no matter how hard I try I just don't like the sound of them (very weak high end that makes the speakers sound almost...
  16. ToTo Man

Any Journey fans out there???

I think my brother used to shop in Gouchos when he lived in Dundee. During the late 90s I loved shopping in Missing, a real treasure trove of used CDs, tape and vinyl. But like most good things the store demised and ever since I have been shopping online for my music, eBay for used and other...
  17. ToTo Man

Why does a search for IMF bring back zero matches?

It'll be worth the wait! :yes:
  18. ToTo Man

Hi Neil, It is indeed reassuring to have an increasing British contingent on this forum :thmbsp:. I'm in Glasgow, btw. I still have a lot of 'back catalogue' catching up to do with Journey, although it's always good to start with a recent live DVD to get an overview of what the band is...
  19. ToTo Man

I've got Escape on both vinyl and CD and think it's a wonderful album! Every time I listen to it I lose myself :thmbsp: Following your advice I've just bought Frontiers on vinyl, should be here by the start of next week......
  20. ToTo Man

Cool stuff, - didn't know Journey had any SACDs out there! How is the sound production on them? Interestingly, I picked up a rare Japanese first pressing CD of the Escape album (apparently one of the first ten albums Sony earmarked for CD release back in '81), and I also picked up a 1989...
  21. ToTo Man

Unfortunately I only got into this great band recently, probably because I was searching for a rock band to supplement my Toto cravings now that they are no more :tears:. I attended their Scottish gig in June 2008 with new front man Arnel Pineda and was not only blown away by his vocal range...
  22. ToTo Man

How to safely remove white mold from speaker grilles

But would bleach not discolor the fabric? Or are we talking about a diluted bleach such as a baby's sterilizer (e.g. Milton)?
  23. ToTo Man

How to safely remove white mold from speaker grilles

Last year I replaced the original black grilles of my IMF speakers with home-made white ones, and stored the old ones in my bedroom. After spring cleaning my room today I noticed that the grilles are absolutely covered in white spots. I thought it was just impregnated dust at first, but it...
  24. ToTo Man

Marantz SR-6000 DC Receiver - not working....

Hi guys, I've got a Marantz SR-6000 DC Receiver that hasn't been working for about a year now (I know, it has sat on the "to-do" shelf so to speak). It was working fine everyday, then I hadn't powered it up for three or four weeks, and when I powered it up again, the relay didn't click on...
Back
Top Bottom