Search results

1. tyella

AR speaker stand measurement request

Howdy folks, If anyone has original AR speaker stands like those below, do you mind taking some measurements? Specifically, I'm trying to figure out: Leg dimensions (??" X ??" X 11") All 3 dimensions of the horizontal stretchers. One of the angles of the stretchers to each other (I can figure...
  2. tyella

Shaggy Wharfedales

Has anyone ever seen such a thing? It's as if you said to yourself "I wonder if I can make these speakers both sound AND look horrible?" But on a date night, you could ask "do you want to pet my speakers?". Pic from a Facebook Marketplace ad.
  3. tyella

AR3a drivers: factory replacements?

I got a screaming deal on a couple of pairs of speakers. One pair is AR3a. They are in great shape, but take a look at the drivers. The woofer looks like an older model with the weird foam ring for mass. The mids and tweeters look much newer. Do these look like factory replacements or at...
  4. tyella

Any idea what this amp is?

Local estate sale tomorrow. This amp (?) is seen in the edge of a photo. It will probably be priced reasonably, at the higher end of reasonable. I have no idea if it's stereo or mono. The speaker looks nice, too. Should I get in line early, or sleep in without regrets?
  5. tyella

3D printing thread - Who's printing what?

3D printers are cool, and I recently picked one up for not much cash. There are likely many others here on AK with these cool tools and, given how the price of entry has come down, many more that will be getting one soon. Let's have a 3D printing thread where folks can share the audio-related...
  6. tyella

Friend dropped off some gear for me

Not a Dollars and Sense issue, really, but this is probably the most appropriate category. A friend mentioned he saved some gear from the trash and dropped it off at my place. Turns out he left the following: Sansui 5000a Receiver Akai M8 Reel to Reel JVC R-S11 Receiver The Sansui has the...
  7. tyella

3D printing Rectilinear Highboy badges

I recently purchased a 3D printer (the prices have REALLY come down!) and am starting to tinker with making badges for my Highboys. This is a first pass and was modeled without having any measurements. Sanding and painting will be required, but for a first draft I'm pleased. If anyone has...
  8. tyella

Sony SS-M9 driver identification

I'm working on a pair of Sony SS-M9 speakers. These are absolute beasts at 120+ pounds each. Both midranges and one woofer are out, as in no continuity. I assume the voicecoils are fried, as there is significant rub. Presumably they were played way too loud, or well into clipping. Here is one...
  9. tyella

Dahlquist DQ-10 mid range tinsel wire coating

I'm working on refurbishing a pair of Dahlquist DQ-10 speakers. After replacing a fuse, all drivers seem to function (except perhaps the super tweeter, which maybe I simply can't hear). While cleaning them up, the coating on one of the mid range lead wires flaked off. The wire is, of course...
  10. tyella

Marantz 4300 preamp section out

Hello gang, I have a Marantz 4300 in my possession that works when a source is played through the amp section, but not when the amp/preamp jumpers are in. Any thoughts on what to check or replace? I'm in no hurry on this, but it would be great to get this thing up and running again vs. parting...
  11. tyella

Rectilinear III "Highboy" find - The Snowmen

I picked up some Rectilinear Highboy III speakers at a yard sale a couple of weeks back. They were marked at $50, but I didn't want them, really. I sent a text to @toxcrusadr, but he didn't respond right away. I soon had second thoughts, went back and offered $20. The guy was happy to move them...
  12. tyella

KLH Five mids for a project- filter or no?

I'm thinking of building a Raspberry Pi music server for the kitchen. I've got the Pi, a HiFiBerry DAC and a touchscreen. The thought was to use a TPA3116 or TDA7297 amp to feed a couple of mids from the KLH Five. This is the same driver (I've read) used in the KLH Twenty One and purportedly...
  13. tyella

Elac B6 - Should I jump?

I have the opportunity to pick up some Elac B6 for $75. I KNOW I don't need them, but I'm curious. $75 is not a tiny amount of money in my world, but I have it to burn right now. For small speakers, I currently have Linn Tukan and a few pairs (yeah, I know) if NHT SuperZero speakers. Am I being...
  14. tyella

2 pairs of AR3a on one amplifier?

I just worked on 2 pairs of AR3a for someone who, it turns out, wants to run them both at the same time. I realize this will present a 2 ohm load, sometimes dipping even lower. Does anyone have a recommendation? I'm hoping to avoid using 2 amps but realize this may not be possible. I have a...
  15. tyella

James McMurtry live in mid Missouri

I've got a few beers in me, so have mercy. Just saw James McMurtry in concert in Columbia, Missouri. Hell of a show! If you don't know his work, you owe it to yourself to check it out. Growly sonics beneath lyrics that absolutely acknowledge all the beautiful flaws of humanity without (much)...
  16. tyella

Sansui RZ-5000

Howdy all, I picked this RZ-5000 up at an estate sale and couldn't find much real information about it. Hence, it seemed like I should post something. I only gave this a second look because the faceplate is a nice, thick aluminum and there are jumpers between the pre and amp sections. It looks...
  17. tyella

AR3a - who's that in there?

I'm working on a couple of pairs of AR3a speakers for somebody. This is what I find when I open the first one up. First, that's how much fiberglass was in there. I haven't taken anything out. Second, what is up with that pre-made baby crossover? Of course, none of the specs are close to...
  18. tyella

Stacked KLH Fives - just for giggles

I've been wanting to try this for a while, and the holiday vacation time presented an opportunity. I finally got all of the parts installed in a second set of KLH Fives. That's a long story involving 2 pairs of donor speakers. All have been recapped, one set has been properly doped with the...
  19. tyella

Identify this AR speaker, based on DESCRIPTION only!

I just got off the phone with someone who wants to trade some audio gear. He says he has some Acoustic Research speaker with 3 10" woofers. He also says the grill goes all around and is stapled at the top. Sounds like a sock, ala Vandersteen. Any ideas what it is? I'm waiting on pictures....
  20. tyella

Linn Tukan drivers

Does anyone know a source, other than eBay for Linn Tukan drivers? Otherwise I'll have to part these things out. I picked up a pair of Craigslist that were "in perfect shape, work perfectly." Of course, they don't. The dustcover on one of the mid-woofers was melted off and the voice coil is...
  21. tyella

KLH Five woofer help

I picked up a set of KLH Fives in horrible condition, simply to pull the drivers and complete a pair that has been sitting in my basement for a couple of years. All drivers test OK with the multimeter, however: One of the woofers appears to be "resting" in a withdrawn position. That is to say...
  22. tyella

KLH Five "barn" find

Well not a barn, per se, but an old house that had been "compromised" by a car wreck some years ago. The owner had a bunch of junk on a table in his yard. I spotted the sale as I was driving down a rustic highway. Stopped and noticed a single woofer on the table. I asked if this was from a...
  23. tyella

Sansui 7070 DC offset

I dug a Sansui 7070 out of a pile of electronics at a thrift the other day. I didn't expect it to work at all, but damned if it does work...sort of. Before hooking up speakers, I measured the DC offset, and got 14 mv on the left channel and 350 on the right. I adjusted the trim pot and got the...
  24. tyella

Lawrence, KS sale upcoming - some high end stuff!

I don't know anything about this, but: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/ele/d/huge-audio-sale-coming-soon/6273164501.html Seems like a good cause! text for posterity...or for the click-averse: HUGE AUDIO SALE COMING SOON (Lawrence KS) hide this posting Audio-Reader Network's annual sale of...
  25. tyella

Bose 901 with no wall behind?

I've purchased some Bose 901 speakers for my father in law for Father's Day. I've purchased caps for the equalizer and am about to get started with the recap. However, there's a small problem. The speakers will go on a 9 foot tall freestanding cabinet that divides the living room from the...
Back
Top Bottom