Search results

1. charliemcd

Sony PS-X75 Service

Sorry, I know of several shops in So Cal area but not near you. Hopefully someone will come along with some recommendations for you, in the meantime, running a search on "audio repair near Oakland" came back with half a dozen businesses you could check out.
  2. charliemcd

Sony PS-X75 Service

I don't recommend shipping a turntable off for service, local service will be much safer. What part of California are you in?
  3. charliemcd

Hello from Los Angeles

Welcome from the South Bay 90505.
  4. charliemcd

Norman Laboratories Model Seven Crossover Rebuild

Same here, I'd like to see those pics too. My 7's have the panel recessed, and it's made of the same MDF that the cabinet back is made of. As far as repair, I agree with avguytx, rebuild the crossover and just glue the panel back together as best you can.
  5. charliemcd

Pioneer SX-636, advice for absolute beginner.

It all looks pretty untouched to me, I don't see any components that look like they have been changed other than the second fuse from the top on the power supply board, F4 I believe. Not trying to be a nit-picker, but since the SX-636 has a preamp, power amp AND a built-in tuner, it should be...
  6. charliemcd

Pioneer PL-630 Rubber Boots

I had this problem a while back when I was working on my 630. Here's what I figured out with some forum help: The red stripe springs which have 6 coils are in the right front and left rear positions, therefore they are Spring A P/N PBH-169. The non-color-coded springs which have 7 coils are in...
  7. charliemcd

Hi Dave, I just sent you an email for an order but it got bounced as spam. Can you add me to...

Hi Dave, I just sent you an email for an order but it got bounced as spam. Can you add me to your contacts so I can resend?
  8. charliemcd

Headshell wires

Another AT6101 user here. I feel like I'm getting good quality leads at a reasonable price.
  9. charliemcd

Spent some time with an old friend yesterday

I have an STR-DE935, think it was next year's model equivalent to the 925. I'm still using it in my family room system and it's been a very solid piece of gear since I bought it new.
  10. charliemcd

Translucent goo around components on Technics deck

To me it looks like something that was used at the factory to keep the two larger caps, the cable and the single inline pin IC from moving and fracturing the leads or breaking the wires. It also looks like someone was a little sloppy and used more than was needed. Unless you need to do work in...
  11. charliemcd

Hi Darren, I appreciate the 2012 post you made about relubing the Sony PS-X5/6/7 arm lifters...

Hi Darren, I appreciate the 2012 post you made about relubing the Sony PS-X5/6/7 arm lifters. I've got two PS-X7 tables myself. I want to save a copy of that thread as a Word document for the future, but as I'm sure you know the links to the photos are no longer good. Any chance you still have a...
  12. charliemcd

Hi Darren, I appreciate the 2012 post you made about relubing the Sony PS-X5/6/7 arm lifters...

Hi Darren, I appreciate the 2012 post you made about relubing the Sony PS-X5/6/7 arm lifters. I've got two PS-X7 tables myself. I want to save a copy of that thread as a Word document for the future, but as I'm sure you know the links to the photos are no longer good. Any chance you still have a...
  13. charliemcd

Need some quick advice on a pioneer sx-939 restoration

Agree with the two other members, don't make too much out of your one mistake. No one is perfect, no one knows everything, and everyone makes mistakes. You were able to catch this mistake, you learned from it and gained a little more experience, and now you move on. Don't quit because of that...
  14. charliemcd

SX-1010 AM I GETTING CLOSE??

Resurrecting this thread to ask a couple of questions before I start working on my two SX-1010s. tsd71's BOM in post # 26 lists the same Mouser number for C1 and C2 of the AWM-039 protection assembly, 505-MKS2C034701CJSSD. On the Pioneer schematic and parts list, C1 is a 0.47uF and C2 is a...
  15. charliemcd

SX-650 No FM Stereo and Parts List/BOM for Restore

Replaced the HA1196 FM multiplex chip with one bought off an auction site and I have Stereo FM now, so the IC was bad. Have done a recap on all the boards and performance is about the same as before. Had glitchy output but resolved that with a cleaning of the protection relay contacts. Still...
  16. charliemcd

Pickup and ship from LA on Sep 18,19 or 20

I was hoping someone else would step up, but since no one has so far I can do this for you if needed.
  17. charliemcd

@KarlK: There are no dumb questions - I've been known to miss the obvious before. And I appreciate anyone that takes the time to read and post suggestions to help. I should have mentioned earlier that I checked the stereo/mono mode and FM muting switches after I cleaned the controls. FM muting...
  18. charliemcd

Thanks, I'll break out the scope and take a closer look at things around the HA1196.
  19. charliemcd

Thanks for the reply Watthour, I had searched for and read posts for FM problems on the SX-650 but will now check for SX-750 posts too. I know I can put together a parts list for a rebuild but it will take me a while. I had seen the post about cleaning the FM front end and thought about doing...
  20. charliemcd

Hi everyone, I have several Pioneer SX-939 and SX-1010 receivers I was finally going to start working on, but realized they have quite a few problems, and I'm going to need to spend a fair amount of time putting together rebuild parts lists so I can put everything in a single order. Not quite...
  21. charliemcd

PL-560/PL-518 turntable feet. STUPID SPRING MISSING!

Thanks to everyone who's posted in this thread. I agree that the reference in the PL-560 service manual to a PBM-179 is a typo and it should actually read PBH-179, the same as the part number for the front right spring, both color coded red. Motrick's post also fits with what I understand about...
  22. charliemcd

Advice concerning Pioneer PL 630

Fantastic, thanks RemoWilliams! I swear I did spend quite a bit of time looking for this info on the forum a while back and couldn't find anything. Now I just need the color-coding for the PL-518 ...
  23. charliemcd

Advice concerning Pioneer PL 630

A caution for you and other PL-630 owners: I posted a while back looking for info on the spring locations because the service manual says there are two different spring part numbers used. Spring A is PBH-169 for left front and right rear, and spring C is PBH-154 for right front and left rear...
  24. charliemcd

Foot Spring Color Coding for Pioneer PL-518 and PL-630

Bump. No one has info about the spring color-coding? Where's Rich? Caution to anyone disassembling feet for the Pioneer PL-518 or PL-630: take note of the color-coding on the springs since different springs are used in different corners.
  25. charliemcd

Foot Spring Color Coding for Pioneer PL-518 and PL-630

The springs on the PL-518 are all the same height, one just has fewer coils that are spaced a little farther apart. A nice feature on the PL-630 is that you can level the table by adjusting the height of each foot - no playing cards/drink coasters/shims needed!
Back
Top Bottom