Search results

1. denniswilson

Amp tech on Long Island

I know I'm late in replying but, Davidson Electronics in Plainview. In the industrial park. He repaired a vintage Kenwood Supreme Model 500 for me. It had a fried diode and he repaired the lifted trace and pad very nicely. Charged very little...I was surprised. Turn around was just a few...
  2. denniswilson

Glue Type For Preamp Knob Repair

@Bill Ferris Gotcha....I like both yours and Doug Gs recommendation. I did see it... gave him a "like" to his thread.
  3. denniswilson

@Bill Ferris Thank you !! Thats what I will go with.
  4. denniswilson

Thats what a fellow said on "The Carver Site" Thanks !
  5. denniswilson

@titanstats Looks like Revox know how to make a strong knob. My dad had a Revox A700 which replaced an Ampex AX-300. Incredible machines.
  6. denniswilson

What ever happened to Echowars ?

Maybe he retired to Honduras. He helped me many times as I know nothing about electronics, and he walked me through it. I'm on here since 2005....dont know when AK started....but I'm glad his posts are all still on here. Wishing all the best !!
  7. denniswilson

What ever happened to Echowars ?

Curious.....What ever happened to Glen "Echowars"? Haven't seen him on here for many years? He was very active and the top dog on here
  8. denniswilson

@Lavane Ahhh...yes, the "cap". Thats the word I should have used to explain. :crazy: Thank you
  9. denniswilson

@gadget73 Thanks....I'm swapping out the plastic inserts I have already unglued and removed them from the knobs....so just simply use Superglue to secure the plastic insert to the inside of the knob? Super glue is strong enough to withstand turning the clicks on the selector knob? Thank you
  10. denniswilson

Thanks @Lavane In my project, The plastic insert inside the knob has broken apart. And the insert was missing the tiny flat spring that supports the insert to the D shaft. So, I got a complete replacement knob from a different Carver model and the knobs are almost identical except for the outer...
  11. denniswilson

Hi Folks.....Its been a while, I picked up a Carver C-16 preamp. The Selector knob plastic insert broke. Somehow it was missing the tiny flat spring that supports the knob insert to the flat part of the shaft. It's a D shaft...not knurled. So when turning the knob, it broke apart. I have...
  12. denniswilson

Relocating and Moving My Gear Cross Country

Agreed....Trust but Verify. Thats what the pilots always said at the airline I worked for.
  13. denniswilson

Thanks....Good information. I'm thinking I will probably have to go with the moving company. I cant get a rental truck here and I'm getting old, my back hurts, and I can hardly lift some of this stuff. A buddy of mine said he would help me load a Chrysler Minivan to put my McIntosh gear...
  14. denniswilson

I like the Pod idea....I will ask my condo board if they will allow a Pod to be placed somewhere in my complex close to my unit.
  15. denniswilson

:idea: I desperately looked into renting trucks from U-Haul, Ryder, Budget, Penske so I can do it myself. I searched almost every day beginning in late August all the way through today. Unfortunately there are no trucks available one-way from the northeast to Florida due to the mass exodus...
  16. denniswilson

Thanks....Thankfully, all my gear is in factory boxes. I double boxed my delicate CD players. My McIntosh gear is in McIntosh double boxes by default. I shrink wrapped all the boxes also. My factory boxed turntable will come with me in my little Honda Civic. My albums are in special album...
  17. denniswilson

I did the best I could trying to find a reputable moving company. Essentially, they are all the same price moving from NY to South Florida. They all said I have a minimum load. Approximately 2500 lbs. 50 boxes includes all my stereos, clothes and belongings. Buying all new furniture when I...
  18. denniswilson

I will be relocating and moving 1300 miles cross country. I have a lot of heavy hi-fi gear, mostly amplifiers, integrated amps, receivers, including my newer McIntosh system. Every piece is in original factory boxes and packaging. Speakers are well packed in my own packaging. I interviewed 4...
  19. denniswilson

Dynaco A25 tweeter: is the speaker blown or is the cap bad?

I realize this is an old thread....but....Did the problem return? My tweeter also cut out....started working again after I tried your solution. Is your tweeter still working?
  20. denniswilson

Technics SL-1200MK5 Headshell Collar Grinding Terribly

Spoke with Kevin at KAB. He told me to pack a generous amount of grease at the two slots inside the tonearm where the collar threads are and wipe off the excess. He said it wont hurt a thing. He said the factory uses a small amount of graphite, but any good quality light grease will work. I...
  21. denniswilson

Technics SL-1200MK5 Headshell Collar Grinding Terribly

Occasionally I swap out my headshells to play different cartridges. I noticed that my Technics headshells are making a terrible grinding when tightening or loosening the headshell collar on the tonearm. Sometimes its so "grindy" that its almost a struggle to tighten the collar....almost like...
  22. denniswilson

After Market Stylus Brands

"EVG needles are clearly marked. EVG is Electro-Voice Game. Electro-Voice never made magnetic needles. They were OEM or Japanese. Current EVG magnetic needles come primarily from Switzerland. A few come from Japan." Correct !! The packaging is very clearly marked "EVG". However, some sellers...
  23. denniswilson

After Market Stylus Brands

Some after market stylus sellers on-line advertise stylus made by Electro-Voice. I believe the stylus is not made by or distributed by the world famous company known as Electro-Voice which is located in Burnsville MN...the company that makes professional audio gear like microphones, mixers and...
  24. denniswilson

Monster HTS2600 Surge Protector Question

I have a Monster HTS2600 early model Surge Protector that I bought new maybe around 15-18 years ago. I think I paid around $300 for it when I bought it new. I only plug it in and engage it when I'm playing my reference McIntosh stereo system. Otherwise it remains unplugged along with all the...
  25. denniswilson

Shure M95ED Dirty Contacts

Thanks for the suggestions. Think I'll try the Magic Erasure and the pencil erasure. I'll let you know how it goes......I also sent an email to Shure at their customer support web site..... They still have a support section for cartridges.
Back
Top Bottom