Search results

1. J

Another use for the AT91/AT3600L - in a Garrard changer

This morning's project was to clean and re-lube this old Garrard AT6 (old grease had turned to glue everywhere), then fit a magnetic cartridge. I decided to try one of those cheap AT carts. The Garrard still needs a cleanup after the surgery, but here's a pic. I actually used an AT91BL -...
  2. J

Chesky Classical CDs opinions

I just picked up 10 Chesky classical CDs, most with a gold "Audiophile sticker" saying 128x oversampling. Just started ripping them to flac, and I thought I'd ask what to expect. Are they indeed "audiophile" and should I expect them to sound much better than other good quality CD classical...
  3. J

Preamp schematic for multiple rolloff and turnover points?

Does anyone have a schematic for a preamp with multiple rolloff and turnover points, something like this one... http://www.esotericsound.com/elect.htm#d_Equalizers or even a phono preamp with these same adjustments?
  4. J

Fiio E10K as DAC for Android tablet/phone

When I purchased my Fiio E10K DAC I was intending to use it with my laptop. The people who sold it to me told me it would not work with my phone - but it DOES. In fact it works with both my tablets as well. As I mentioned in a question elsewhere, I am currently using an old Nexus 7 to play...
  5. J

Charging and playing to a usb DAC at the same time?

I am trying to use an android tablet as a media player via an OTG cable to a usb DAC. I am currently using a Nexus 7 into an Fiio E10K DAC. This actually is working fine until the battery runs down on the tablet. I am wanting to connect a usb charger at the same time. I have tried...
  6. J

How to rewire a tonearm with litz?

I purchased a 'rewire kit' that has 4 cartridge pin connectors and a length of litz wire. The litz wire is appears to be just one long length, all the same colour. So, just after some advice. Obviously I will have to be careful and cut 4 suitable lengths. Should I colour code each end so...
  7. J

Combining tubes with digital

I have, for years, had an all-tube system. Recently however, I decided to try something much more modern, and purchased a small digital amp based on the Tripath 2050 chipset. I am still using my tube phono and line preamps in front of this amp, and it is playing into the nice efficient full...
  8. J

Turntable Al Fresco

I have just purchased some new headphones - Sennheiser HD558. Maybe not high end, but they sounded quite nice to me, and they are comfortable for long periods of listening. So, I thought about using them outside on our back deck to listen to records, and went about figuring how to rig up a...
  9. J

Variable scratch and rumble filter?

I often listen to old 78s (gramophone) records, and I am building an opamp based headphone amp. I would like to add some filtering to it to remove low and high frequencies, and I would like it to be variable. I am expecting to have to use some rotary switches to switch filter caps to get...
  10. J

Jazz on Japanese 12" 78rpm

I like playing old 78 records, and so I buy boxes of them when they come up at good prices on eBay. The latest batch had some nice 10" jazz and big band stuff, but a couple of them seemed a bit unusual. I have seldom seen jazz on 12" 78s - mostly on Jazz on 10" and classical on 12"...
  11. J

my unipivot tonearm project

I got started on building my first tonearm this morning. I have decided to try a simple unipivot design. I shaped it a little like a Grace arm because I like that shape a lot. It's made of balsa at the moment, maybe that's OK as a material? I cut two pieces of wood so I would have one to...
  12. J

Making a tonearm for my AR XB1

As I am rebuilding my AR XB1 from a box of parts with no tonearm, I had an idea I might as well combine the project with another I have had in mind for some time - that is making a unipivot tone arm. I guess the first question is, do unipivots work OK on suspended sprung chassis like the AR...
  13. J

Sansui tonearm - opinions

Looking through my bits and pieces for a tonearm for the AR XB table I am rebuilding/modding, I found this one. It's a Sansui GBJ arm (according to what's written under it) - and I think it came from an Sansui SR-1050C table. The things I like about it are the integrated arm rest and adjustable...
  14. J

AR-XB1 needs help to spin up

I posted a picture recently of an old AR that had sat a long time in a shed. I have built a new motor board and suspended the chassis from it, and mounted the motor. I am just trying the bearing and the motor out to see if I can get it all to work. The bearing, which looks good, after a...
  15. J

AR refurbish - this one will be a challenge!

It's an XBI model and has sat in pieces in a damp place for quite a while by the look of it. Also someone has started altering it to take a different arm (the original arm is missing). The arm that was with it is the one on the small piece of wood, but I have other arms - such as the other one...
  16. J

Outstanding tracks for testing a system

While trying out various mods to my little preamp I have been considering which great tracks are most revealing. I mentioned I have been using Magic Man from Heart - Dreamboat Annie. In the past I have tried Thelma Housten's I've got the Music in Me, but I suspect that hides as much as it...
  17. J

Phono preamp, opamps/tubes, passive/active experiments

In my search for great vinyl sound, I went from typical commercial mid-fi SS amplifiers with built-in phono preamps (mostly active feedback discrete) to home built single ended valve (tube) power amps with a separate valve phono amp with passive eq. based on 12AX7s. While I was very happy...
  18. J

Label protection while washing/cleaning?

I was wondering what people use to protect record labels when washing/cleaning their records. I would prefer a DIY solution. I was imaging some kind of clamp through the centre hole that seals over the label on both sides. Ideally it should be easy to fit and remove. Maybe it only needs...
Back
Top Bottom