Search results

1. E

Thinking of Selling my Technics 1210 MK3 for Something More Audiophile

Imho, the Technics should have the U25 cartridge which should be a little better than the one on the Fisher. Id personally get the Technics, its tonearm is fine, though not of the same sound quality of the tonearm on an SL-1200. And the B100 is a belt drive so wont have the same pitch stability...
  2. E

I sold the green years ago. I was just telling a story about my experience. But come to think about it, I think it was misaligned a bit because I didn't own a protractor back then. But now I do. The best $10 I spent! :-) before you think I'm some twit, I had it set up by a dealer, but moved...
  3. E

S shaped arms have perfect geometry. The Technics tonearm uses the Stevenson alignment for lowest distortion at the inner grooves. If you use the Ortofon protractor which uses Baerwald alignment the cartridge will be angled slightly twisted inwards towards the spindle, and is a viable...
  4. E

Akai CD players - why so rare?

I agree the CD-A7 is a nice souding unit. I used to own one. It uses the fantastic Burr Brown PCM53 parallel input DAC chip. Its got really big bass and big dynamics. however the last one I saw sell on ebay sold for something like $400. I think that is a ridiculous price for a very old CD...
  5. E

After owning many of the "audiophile" turntables. Thorens, Linn, etc I prefer the Technics for critical listening. I have an SME 3009 Series 2 on my SL120. It is a very fine turntable. No worse than the "audiophile" turntables I have previously owned. Direct drive has accurate speed and pitch...
  6. E

My form of Logic says that if the cartridge sounded good when the stylus was new, but now doesnt sound good, and nothing else has changed, then the stylus must be worn irrespective of how old it is or how much use you recall it having. The Technics turntable is a solid design and the tonearm...
  7. E

Sonoco SS-100S ? Are these Sansui?

Ive got a feeling the drivers could be Sonics brand. Coral woofers usually have a hole cutout of the dust cap. Both are very good. I'm not sure if Sonics were made by Coral. there does not appear to be much information on vintage Japanese drivers I can find
  8. E

Little Bear Tube Phono Pre??

I'm fairly sure that EMI board does nothing of any value. It doesn't cure the hum which by now we should all know originates from the high gain of the first tube picking up 50/60Hz from mains and radio frequencies. The only way to fix that problem is to shield the tube or put the kit in a metal...
  9. E

The guys who are saying it sounds too bright. You know that moving magnet cartridges need to be loaded with the correct capacitance to avoid brightness. Usually too much capacitance causes brightness. Your phono cables might have too much capacitance? Usually phono cables are about 100pf per...
  10. E

Try leaving the little bear on for 8 hours straight. Do this for a few days. Tubes do need to run in. (that's my experience) the sound changes after a while. Try listening after its run in a bit. I own the first version with E core transformer and 6n2 tubes and I'm happy with that. I cant...
  11. E

lp gear bin 215 and 323

So what happened?
  12. E

Which pre is the LB copied from?
  13. E

In this instance I guess you will need someone who owns one of each version to comment if one sounds preferable to the other. Such as lower noise etc. I was just commenting generally from my own experience, which is purely subjective, but I find EI to sound more musical. Torroid sounds more...
  14. E

http://www.soundstage.com/maxdb/maxdb071998.htm EI core every time mate!
  15. E

The cheap and easy way of shielding the tube is to wrap aluminium foil over the tubes making sure the foil doesnt touch any of the pins, then run a single strand of solid core cat 5 between the tube and the foil, then gently cable tie the foil around the tube, then connect your cat 5 cable to...
  16. E

anyone else running vintage Empire carts?

sorry to interrupt. I've just come into posession of an Empire E20 (chunky body) without stylus. Has anyone heard one? Are they any good? I'm wondering if its worth spending the money to get a new stylus for it? thanks
  17. E

Cartridge C.E.C. MC20 or MC20S or Jelco D Question

The Jelco MC-14D is a very nice sounding cartridge when using the original Jelco MC-20S stylus. I was surprised how good it sounds. I have both MC-20s and MC-14D. I'm not able to test the MC-20S because someone soldered a cartridge clip to one of the cartridge posts so cant do an easy swap of...
  18. E

Jelco MC-14D

I put a Jelco MC-20s stylus on my MC-14D and it is a very balanced and full bodied sounding cartridge. It has strong bass and good treble, and a very vibrant sound. It is a good cartridge. IMO worthy of trying if you come across one.
  19. E

Yes. Less noise, faster start up time, and you can increase the size of your B+ capacitors to reduce ripple.
  20. E

This is how I replaced the tube rectifier (6z4) with diodes on the 1st (original) version of the Little bear
  21. E

Bought 2x Nagaoka JT-322 and 1x MP-20

Details coming yet?
  22. E

I bought the thing too, but if it doesnt do anything I will be making a paypal claim. SMPS generate back noise. An all tube phono stage wouldnt be doing that. I think there is a chance the inductors might stop some high frequency noise getting into the circuit. But I didnt see any of that...
  23. E

Jorgen AMI Turntable

Better late than never. The AMI Jorgen appears to be a variation of the Sanyo TP 600sa And they are a very competent turntable. http://www.vinylengine.com/library/sanyo/tp-600sa.shtml http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=584099
  24. E

What differences are you hearing? Why do you prefer these tubes over the originals? I replaced my tube rectifier with diodes. I didnt notice much difference to the sound that is worthy of commenting on. I did it a while ago and I think from memory that the measured noise level dropped a...
  25. E

Is the gain switch on the Little bear or the brio?
Back
Top Bottom