Search results

1. MFP4073

Electro Voice Speaker Project

Quick update. I finished up both speakers. I am very happy with the sound. Very detailed from low to high and not "shrill." I think the combo of components works well. I'm running the tweeter at -5 db and the mid horn at -7db at the moment and the mix seems to work well for most types of music I...
  2. MFP4073

Thanks twiiii! I am leaving the SP12s as is for now as they are in very nice condition and do not want to mess with what is not broken. I am not using a T-35 tweeter on these. I removed a Wolverine TW-35 (cheaper version of the T-35). I opted to go with a new Crites / B&C DE120 tweeter. This...
  3. MFP4073

I received a message from Bob on the horn. He says he believes it would be called and exponential type horn. I will find out how it sounds on the driver I'm using by Monday. Fingers crossed.
  4. MFP4073

That is why I decided to shy away from the EV 8HD horn. I believe it is almost the same as the horn no the MR10 I am removing which I found shrill (could be the driver as well). I selected Crites horn as the flange size will work on the opening already cut in the baffle and I am limited on...
  5. MFP4073

I hope so! It's been a really fun project tweaking them over time. I suspect upgrading the mid / high is going to have a drastic change. Fingers crossed for the better!! I decided to go with the G700 with over the EV 8HD that I believe was originally used on the 1824M driver. Crites says the...
  6. MFP4073

A few years ago I purchased a set of EV Lancaster speakers that had obviously been hand built. They were loaded with the Wolverine series low cost drivers, LS12 woofer, MR10 mid horn and TW35 tweeter. The crossovers needed attention so I decided to install a pair of Crites X8 / X36 crossovers...
  7. MFP4073

MA5100 on the bench: Questions

I wanted to add to this thread. The first McIntosh piece I owned was an MA-5100 I picked up about 6 years ago. When I got it I replaced the electrolytics, re-stuffed multi-cap C304, most of the wire wound resistors and the transistor pairs on the output boards. I enjoyed it for a few years until...
  8. MFP4073

Fisher XP-10 Speakers, New to Me

Purely a simple approach to connect the sides. I saw this type of stand on the net and liked its simple yet robust design so I copied it.
  9. MFP4073

Thanks guys! I greatly appreciate your comments!! Since I last logged in I finished the stands for the JBL's. Here are a few shots. The first being a shot when cutting the walnut squares to glue together for the desired thickness of the stand sides.
  10. MFP4073

The speakers turned out well and I am happy with them. The Morel tweeters brought the highs back for sure. The units that I removed were the original Fisher "fried egg" tweeters that were no longer functioning properly. I stuck with the original crossover level control option. I replaced the...
  11. MFP4073

I recently picked up a pair of XP-10 as a project to run with my MC30 monoblock amps. I have always liked the consolette style of these and when a pair turned up locally I decided to grab them. At first listen they seemed to have all the usual issues, lacking highs but surprisingly the tweeters...
  12. MFP4073

Speakers: What do you own?

Boston Acoustics VR-975s and VR-10 Center Electro Voice Marquis rear firing bass port with Crites X8 / X36 crossovers I installed in them Fisher XP-10s
  13. MFP4073

5100 Channel Problem - Can anyone help?

Thanks c_dk! I actually did the rebuild on this a few years ago myself. All new caps, a couple transistor pairs and several resistors. It was working great until last night. I think we had a power surge as I just noticed my microwave clock is flashing. I will start at the left channel pre-amp...
  14. MFP4073

5100 Channel Problem - Can anyone help?

Hi guys, My MA-5100 has been running great for the past few years. However, last night when I turned it on I noticed there was no sound out of the left speaker. What I am finding when changing the mode selector is this; Stereo: No sound left speaker and sound in the right speaker Stereo Rev...
  15. MFP4073

Wood Base for Dual 721

Thanks guys! I am glad you dig it. It is actually a satin finish and not gloss. I did some touch up on the top edge and it was still wet in that picture. The base is so much more heavy and rigid than the original plastic base. I would say there has been some sonic improvement but it's hard to...
  16. MFP4073

Wood Base for Dual 721

Resurrecting this old thread. I just finished making a new base for my 721. I used birdseye maple and ran the sides through a dado blade to accept the mounting frame that I cut out of MDF. I made the base and cover removable and utilizes spikes for feet. Overall I am pretty happy with it. I am...
  17. MFP4073

MAC1700 Question

Hi guys, Can anybody tell me if any of the MAC1700 units were made without the fuse board on the bottom side of the chassis? I picked up a unit with the intention of cleaning / fixing it up and giving it to my buddy as a wedding present. Cosmetically it looks great just dirty. When I pulled the...
  18. MFP4073

Amplifier Distortion, DC-Offset, and You!

I'm new here too and EchoWars (and a few other guys) really helped me out with info to get my vintage amp up and running healthy again. The guys have been awesome!:thmbsp:
  19. MFP4073

I will remeasure and double check the setting on my meter and report back. ETA: you are right EchoWars. I had my meter set to VDC when I took my previous readings and mistakenly noted the value as mV. Thank you for pointing that out. I am still learning... I retested with the meter set on 300mV...
  20. MFP4073

After replacing all four of the heat sink transistors and the matched pair (thanks EchoWars for the replacement part number) on the left channel output board my MA5100 has the following- LC: 9.8mv (previously 56mv) RC: 8.8mv
  21. MFP4073

Took a couple of Fri nights to read this whole thread but I learned a lot and enjoyed. I just replaced all of the elec caps (thanks for the info Terry!) and cement resistors on my new to me McIntosh MA 5100. It sounds really nice but after reading this thread I checked my offset... 9mv on the RC...
  22. MFP4073

MA5011 Cap Question

Thanks Gregory. I ended up using 220uF / 16V SilmicIIs and they worked great!
  23. MFP4073

What McIntosh Gear Are You Using?

Very modest but it works great for me! Here's mine: MA-5100 Boston VR975 loudspeakers Denon TT w/ Ortofon Red Cartridge
  24. MFP4073

MA5011 Cap Question

Hi guys, Hoping somebody can help me out with a question. I am going to replace cap numbers C207 and C208 on the power output boards of my MA5100. These are 180uF / 3V caps. I can not seem to find a uF match for these and was considering using 220uF. What are people normally replacing...
  25. MFP4073

RS-646 Center Channel Not Working

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I found it when searching for info on turn tables a while back. Any way. I have an RS-646 AV receiver that I bought new back around 1992. It is not the greatest but it has served me fairly well over the years and took the abuse I gave it when I was younger...
Back
Top Bottom