Search results

1. oldvinyldude

Rifa X and Y caps-polarized?

Rookie questing here-I bought replacement RIFA caps for a Dual TT. When I go to replace them, I see no polarity of the removed or new X and Y rated caps I bought. Are they polarized? Thanks!
  2. oldvinyldude

First time I had the parts!

A tiny victory, but I was trying to solve a speed issue on a cheap TT. I have been buying lots of 10 small caps when I needed a certain value, plus some popular values as well. I needed 2 today-finally ‘in stock’! Job complete in 20 minutes. Yay!
  3. oldvinyldude

Yamaha CR820 Powers up-no relay click

I have this CR820, bought non working several years ago. I replaced the main filter caps, as they tested under spec. No change-no audio. From the SM, I saw that the idling current could be tested. I found one channel read (read at TP 1 to 2), about 2mv-manual says 8mv. I adjusted it to settle...
  4. oldvinyldude

Yamaha CR2020 line in jacks

I am looking for a source for replacement RCA input jacks for my CR2020. I have searched and found some, but their mounting lugs are not compatible with the originals. I have one pictured-it makes intermittent contact. I am open to any method that can make the existing one...
  5. oldvinyldude

Tonearm wire cartridge clips sources?

I have been searching in vain for some inexpensive tonearm wire clips (to slide onto the cartridge pins). I am just looking for common metal version-no gold plated with added fairy dust. I have good wire-easy to fine, but the clips?? No! I imagine they can't cost more than a couple of...
  6. oldvinyldude

Capacitor value drift?

I am curious if caps drift in capacitance when in circuit? I ask because I am working on an old Roberts 770X R2R, circa 1965. After cleaning and lubrication, it's running. However, I noticed a slow down and eventual stop when in Rew mode. When I cancelled the Rew and started it back up, the...
  7. oldvinyldude

Dual 506 Hum

I am trying to solve a hum issue on a Dual 506 TT. Sometimes it will be quiet for 30 minutes, but it always returns. Once the loud hum returns, it does not become quiet again, unless I mess with the grounding wire, on the preamp. Other tables do not hum when using this input-it’s specific to...
  8. oldvinyldude

Transistor markings Questions

I have a KA7002 integrated. I have some sporadic noise bursts that are audible with no source playing. My hunch is one or more failed transistors, as the unit uses transistors marked C458 and C871. I gather these are 2SC458's and 2SC871's-correct? Members here have posted suggested...
  9. oldvinyldude

Testing and matching of transistors

I am wondering how many transistors does one typically need to purchase, to get a 'matched' pair. With some amp designs relying on careful matching to achieve proper and balanced performance, I am looking for members experience. If I need a pair, how many transistors should I need to buy, in...
  10. oldvinyldude

Dual 506 Belt Replacement Frustration

I was gifted a Dual 506 belt drive turntable recently, and started the process of refurbishment. It's in decent shape. It was in frequent use decades ago, but had been sitting in a box for quite some time. The table runs fine, but I wanted to get a better sense of the health of the belts. I...
  11. oldvinyldude

Arm height adjustment Pioneer PLA35

I am trying to get this PLA35 working properly. The arm sits far too low. It needs to come up quite a bit, but I see no provision for adjustment. Hopefully, someone here can point me in the right direction. I do have the SM, and I will continue to search-but so far, have not found any...
  12. oldvinyldude

Pioneer PLA35 Counter Weight compatibility

I have this PLA35 TT, which is missing it’s counterweight. Are there any other models in the Pioneer line that I could use their counterweight? I see used ones from several other models selling for 1/2 what sellers are asking for the original one. Thanks
  13. oldvinyldude

Pioneer PLA35 Correct Belt?

I have a Pioneer PLA35 TT, and the belt I have is 23.6" circumference, with a thickness of .025". It runs fast (about 1.5%). I have heard that too thick a belt will cause the table to run fast, and yet, one Ebay vendor claims that the belt he sells is guaranteed to be correct, yet the thickness...
  14. oldvinyldude

Regluing components after replacement?

I have replaced two power transistors per a service bulletin on my Yamaha CR2020. They reside on board, with small heatsinks. When the receiver was manufactured, they used a glue to hold the heatsinks to the board. I could leave them as is, with only the transistor leads supporting the assembly...
  15. oldvinyldude

Desoldering Point to Point techniques

I need help with desoldering: I have been progressing in my repair techniques for gear, and have learned to solder with good success. I have also been successful replacing some caps, and other through hole components. I have a spring loaded desoldering pump, and one day, I might treat myself...
  16. oldvinyldude

Yamaha CR Tuning Lights mod?

About 9 years ago, I bought a strip of LED's to light the tuning dial of my CR2020. This mod was done by a member here, but I recall their mod was detailed within another Yamaha thread. I cannot find it, and was hoping for someone to recall seeing it, or the posting member for the mod, to spot...
  17. oldvinyldude

Bulk Erasing and BIAS noise

There is a recent thread asking about the wisdom of bulk erasing tapes before recording over them. I have read elsewhere in the Tape forum, about the benefits of bulk erasing, vs letting the erase head do the job. For this thread, let's omit discussion of poor alignment allowing adjacent tracks...
  18. oldvinyldude

Pioneer PL-707 Intermittent power

I have owned this TT for a few years now, and it has developed a power issue. It sometimes will not power on. I have even had it power down in the middle of playing it. It seems to be affected by vibration-Once I move it off my rig, and onto a workbench, it always turns on. I have gotten it to...
  19. oldvinyldude

Japanese screws

I have an old Teac A4010S that came to me missing several parts and fasteners (screws). I have a set of metric screws, including 2.5 and 3.0 diameters. The 2.5’s are just a tad too small, while the 3.0’s are too large-I would wind up damaging the threads, if I attempt to force them in. I see...
  20. oldvinyldude

Transistor vs Capacitor noise

Hi folks: I just finished a mechanical refurbishment on a Teac A4010S deck. Tape moves fine, pinch roller engages-all good. I tried playing a known good tape, and I get good level, but the sound is distorted. Heads, switches, pots, and audio jacks all clean and noise free. The distortion is...
  21. oldvinyldude

Teac A330S photo needed

I have been working on a Teac a3300S, and removed a shield near the BIAS and EQ switches, for cleaning. For the life of me, I cannot figure out how it goes back-should have taken pictures-I know:idea: I am hoping someone has this deck, and can send a photo of this area of their unit. I imagine...
  22. oldvinyldude

Teac X1000 R Tension Adjustments for FFD and REW Missing!

I have 2 of these model Teac decks. I am trying to adjust the tension for fast wind modes, and one one deck, VR238 and VR237 are located on a "daughter" board, attached perpendicular to the main board (the board behind the left wind motor) These are the VR's for adjusting these items to 110g...
  23. oldvinyldude

What type of "pot" is this?

I bought a BK Precision signal generator recently. As the output frequency was erratic, I opened it up, and cleaned both frequency (coarse and fine), pots, and I am glad to report the output is now consistent. I looked at other pots that might benefit from cleaning, and noted a group of devices...
  24. oldvinyldude

Pioneer CT-F 1250 Loss of high end after motor replacement

I have a CT-F 1250 deck, where I have been unsuccessful with rehabbing the transport motor-common motor issue on these decks. Replacement motors are as rare as hen's teeth. I bought a similar 12v cassette deck motor, which I installed successfully, although the REW is much slower. Playback has...
  25. oldvinyldude

BIC T-3 Running very fast

I was gifted this deck, and I have managed to replace all the belts. It was tedious, but not the worst I have experienced. When I tested, I find that playback is very fast. It seemed to run at normal speed for a few moments, but then sped up. I have let it sit powered down, and it seems to...
Back
Top Bottom