Search results

1. goldear

Happy Birthday goldear!

Wow, thanks everyone! It's been a while since I last logged into this forum.
  2. goldear

Not dead yet! Just been away from this forum for a while.

Not dead yet! Just been away from this forum for a while.
  3. goldear

Restored Heathkit W5-M Reliability?

Can you remind if it was the 309s or the 458s which are the larger units?
  4. goldear

Restored Heathkit W5-M Reliability?

I thought that I had read that the OT failures were caused by that silver mica cap which is potted inside which has a tendency to short-out.. It's the power transformers which were over-stressed.
  5. goldear

Replacement power transformer is causing my preamp to hum

If I'm not mistaken, it was ~400 VAC when loaded. Six months ago when I recapped the unit it was measuring around 330 VAC loaded. But you raise a good point. I do need to connect-up this transformer to verify its unloaded readings now... FWIW: I know from past experience with these preamps...
  6. goldear

Good observation. And yes I thought of that too. The properly working circuit prior to the regulator when unloaded runs about 460 VDC or so. Loaded it drops to closer to 400 VDC. And while I cannot remember the exact number I read on the loaded secondary, I seem to recall that it was around...
  7. goldear

This is a good guess. I'm under the impression that the electrostatic shielding is between the primary and the secondaries, not between the secondaries. My best guess is that the problem may stem from something along these lines. I have found in the past that filaments which lack solid ground...
  8. goldear

My conclusion is that there must be a short in the primary. Nothing else can explain the high secondary voltages.
  9. goldear

I can't rule that out 100% yet, but I tend to doubt that this is the source of the hum. I was in the room when the regulator popped, because I heard loud snap come from the preamp, and I had it powered down within seconds. I checked every single cap in that unit and verified both low ESR and...
  10. goldear

No voltage selector switch exists. It was hard-wired for 120V. Although I did not bother to verify the filament winding's voltage since it was being regulated.
  11. goldear

I've been having a bad last couple of weeks. First my CJ PV-6 preamp fried the transistors inside of its regulator. The good news is that I had stocked-up on a lifetime supply of the necessary transistors long ago. So no big deal there. But the mystery was: Why did it do this? So I checked...
  12. goldear

Snell Eiv or Cii ?

No contest: CIIs hands down.
  13. goldear

Amplitrex tube tester impressions

How much do these testers retail for?
  14. goldear

Why have I never seen any 6L6GC-based ultralinear amps?

You have no reason to apologize sir! I love the opportunity learn from your incredible wealth experience. And I had in fact hoped, when I created this thread ,that you would weigh-in on these subjects, as you most certainly have. So if one of my threads should ever inspire you to share some...
  15. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

When you say that you have a DAC that "does DSD", do you must mean a DAC that is able to play DSD files, or a DAC which upsamples all of your PCM into DSD? Because these are two completely different things.
  16. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

I ran a tube output DAC for a number of years. This unit walks all over it, and I don't miss having tubes inside of my DAC at all.
  17. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

I've not personally heard the Junior. But supposedly its very close. And frankly, had the Junior existed back when I was in the market for my DS, the price difference might well have convinced me to go with the Junior. Although, in hind sight, I'm glad that it wasn't, so that I had to...
  18. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

Actually it upsamples everything to 20X DSD, and then it passively converts the DSD signal to analog.
  19. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

Pretty much the same thing here, except for the retired bit.
  20. goldear

PS Sound Dacs

I own a PS Audio Direct Stream DAC. It is far and away the best DAC I've ever owned, and it is one of the finest DAC's I've ever heard too. Furthermore, it just keeps getting better with each new firmware upgrade that Ted had made.
  21. goldear

Step by step scratch build of a modified Eico HF-87

I used Multicap RTX's (Polystyrene film/foil) when I rebuilt my HF-89. And I love the result.
  22. goldear

st-70 vs st-70

With all due respect, the Wellborn 70 is a completely different amp which simply happens to use the Dynaco chassis and transformers. Using that as your basis for comparison here is unfair because it is no longer really a Dynaco.
  23. goldear

Do screen stability resistors reduce the power-output of a UL amp?

I'm aware that screen stability resistors can either reduce or eliminate output-tube arching during power cycling. But I'm much less clear on the downsides of using these resistors, if there are any. I'm assuming that these probably lower your power output a bit. But I have no idea by what...
  24. goldear

That was a fascinating discussion about the Fender amps above. I had always thought that differing screen tap positions were just attempts to optimize UL operation for different designs and/or power tubes. I did not know that UL operation technically consisted-of using only 43% taps off of the...
  25. goldear

So does this mean that you can run them in ultralinear mode, but that you simply have to run them at lower plate voltages than an EL34 based amp?
Back
Top Bottom