Search results

1. J

Sansui 1000A - Help!

Mark, thanks for the info, will definitely heed your advice. I think we've located the schematic for the 1000A version with the 4 pot bias adjustment. I'll get back to you with the voltages at the sockets with OP tubes out. The 550V i mentioned was measured at the plate pin of the OP tubes...
  2. J

Sansui 1000A - Help!

I have my grandfather's Sansui 1000A that he brought back to the states from Taiwan in the 60's during his service in the Air Force. Terry DeWick did an awesome job restoring it for me in ~2006, it has served me faithfully and sounded fantastic hooked to a pair of Klipsch Belle's since then...
  3. J

RCA Jacks Too Big on 1000A

Yesterday I attempted to hook up a new toshiba 3960 to my 1000A that's fresh back from having Tom DeWick do his magic on her. But I'll be damned if the late 60's RCA jacks on her (Sansui) weren't slightly larger in diameter than the 'modern' RCA jacks on all of my other equipment - kinda...
  4. J

My Toshiba 3960 Is Sluggish

Thanks for the info guys. I guess I shouldn't have expected blazing fast performance from $49 player, but I was not expecting such a significant difference to exist between this brand new unit and my 6 year old player of the same brand. It does sound good, though!
  5. J

My Toshiba 3960 Is Sluggish

It seems to take at least 10 seconds to load a CD (regular CD's, not burned ones), and when I hit the forward/reverse buttons to advance a track to the next song, there is a really annoying 2-3 second delay. Do those of you who have this model experience the same things? My ANCIENT toshiba...
  6. J

Shure M97XE Cartridge ?

I've got both a Shure V15 III and the Shure M97XE Cartridge that I use on a Marantz 6300. To my ears, there is only a very subtle difference between the two, and the M97 offers significant cost savings over the V15 when it comes time to replace the stylus. The 6300 came with the V15, but the...
  7. J

Toshiba 3960 on sale

Whoooaaaa......man...maybe I'm delusional but I really wasn't expecting it to be that high.
  8. J

Toshiba 3960 on sale

I'm about to buy this player (been needing a second cheap CD player for a while and this will fit the bill). Just out of curiosity, does anybody know how much folks are charging to make the mods to the player (including parts)?
  9. J

B&W DM602 S3's - Any Thoughts?

Wow Gerrit! Thanks for the info. I'm going to look into this.
  10. J

SONAB OA-5 speakers - any opinions?

Those are really interesting looking. I'm assuming the woofer fires down?
  11. J

Evolution of Yamaha Styling......

oooh....the green lights on the 2040 are nice. what year is it?
  12. J

Ahh....I see. Thanks for your opinions. I won't be playing much if any rock on this system, primarily jazz, old blues, and acoustic music with strong vocals. My JBL's are for rock :D :D :D
  13. J

John, What do you like/dislike about them? I really thought I was speaking the truth about them having the same tweeters (though within the cabinet as you said). Is the pair at your folk's place the light oak or black ash? If light oak, how does it look in your opinion? Thanks!
  14. J

Hmmm.....
  15. J

Ever since Terry DeWick brought my grandfather's old Sansui 1000A back to life, I've been mulling over what speakers to pair with it. I've always been fond of B&W's Nautilus tweeters, and I want something reasonably small for a bedroom placement. GAF (girlfriend approval factor) is also a...
  16. J

How Long For Cable Burn-In?

Maybe I'm just ignorant, but I've always been of the opinion that 'cable burn in' was a joke that somebody started way back that some people never got. I'm probably going to get flamed for this, too.
  17. J

I Want Remote Volume!!!!

Toasted that Chase Technologies passive pre looks pretty sharp. One came up on eBay recently - went for $95, which isn't just awful. I'm kinda surprised at how few of these type things there seems to be.....figured there'd be more for some reason.
  18. J

I Want Remote Volume!!!!

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I'm just going to have to look around. There's a Creek OBH-10 with remote currently at $3.49 with 2 days left, so I'm going to keep my eye on it. It's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, I think. Unfortunately it'll probably go for a pretty penny.
  19. J

I Want Remote Volume!!!!

Well the Creek OBH-22 looks like it would do exactly what I want, but at $450 it's definitely not cheap! Maestro I searched for a little while for the Pioneer RC 760 but didn't come up with much.
  20. J

I Want Remote Volume!!!!

I'm lazy. There - it's out in the open so there will be no questions as to this fact when you read the rest of this post. Here's the deal: Like everybody else on this forum, I love my vintage gear. BUT...I can't stand always having to get up to adjust the volume. Seems like everytime I've...
  21. J

What are these buttons? - Sansui 1000A

Thanks for the info guys! She really is an awesomely sweet little receiver....screams quality build throughout. Terry brought her back to life for me (Terry it was neat to see the pics of her on your bench). And yes, there are a lot of functions on her! One switch I didn't ask about or...
  22. J

What are these buttons? - Sansui 1000A

Hi guys, On the recommendations of a few fellow AK'ers I sent off my 1000A to Tery DeWick for repair and restoration. Unbelievably, he had it back to me in just over a week (including shipping) after giving the Sansui a complete overhaul. It looks gorgeous and sounds truly beautiful....but...
  23. J

RCA Cables too short - What to do?

Thanks for the info guys. I suspected there probably are extensions for the cables but wasn't sure if that would work well with the TT since the output of a cartridge is relatively low. Wouldn't cost me much to find out, though. Krimney I've thoroughly enjoyed my 6300 ever since I got it...
  24. J

RCA Cables too short - What to do?

Hi guys: Quick Question I just moved into a new townhouse and have been setting up the system again. I've got a great large and deep built-in bookshelf on one wall with a solid marble countertop that is perfect to put my turntable on. Unfortunately this placement means that the TT is now...
  25. J

Sansui 1000A - Where to Repair?

Dewickt I must be blind - how did I miss your post? Soembody with first-hand experience restoring one of these suckers! Check your PM's (in a couple of minutes). -jb
Back
Top Bottom