Search results

1. hwystar

IMF owners thread!

I put this project on hold until i get the correct capacitors. I will contact Falcon to let them know about the wrong values in the kit. I dont think I should change the 60 to an 80 without good reason.
  2. hwystar

IMF owners thread!

Hello all, I just joined the IMF club with the TLS80 MKII. I have a question regarding capacitor values, specifically tinkering with the value of the 60... I ordered the kit from Falcon to change out those Elcaps. My crossovers have one each of the following...100uF, 60uF, 6uF, 12uF, 4uF...
  3. hwystar

What's your best speaker "score"?

So many great speaker scores and I've had lots of fun with it. Altecs, JBL, KEF, ADS, Yamahas, Rectilinear, Fried, Pioneers, Kenwoods, these are just a few of my favorite things. And best scores. But my best all time score and one that I will probably never see again was the ADS L2030s that I...
  4. hwystar

KA-7300 channel unbalance

10-4 on that, i just havent gotten back around to messing with it. Yes i can find out which section it is in but the problem will still exist. Will be good to know though. Thank you for the help.
  5. hwystar

Ive thought about trying an amp like suggested above but dont have one. I think i might have a preamp somewhere however. Havent laid eyes on it lately. Good ideas to figure out which section the problem is in.
  6. hwystar

I cleaned my pots and switches but no change. Some day it just might have to get rebuilt but until then I can turn the balance.
  7. hwystar

Will do, I had the cover off already just to see how clean it was, pretty clean, and somehow I forgot to clean the controls while I was there. Thanks.
  8. hwystar

Any ideas what could be causing this. The right channel is slightly lower in volume than the left. More noticeable at higher volumes. By slightly I mean it can be compensated for with the balance control and it sounds good. No distortion. I really could just live with it but I wonder what it...
  9. hwystar

Preamp opinion? Nak 410 vs NAD 1020

Thanks. I believe I'm going to use the NAK. I got the amp working long enough to listen. Both sound fine, although it was not a true AB comparison since I had no kind of switching set up. The Nak just appeals to me a little more. Looks, controls, etc. And the option to select phono sensitivity...
  10. hwystar

Thanks for the input. Can't wait to get my amp back up so I can compare. It looks like the Nak has a good phono stage with adjustable sensitivity. And a loudness contour like most Yamaha stuff which I like.
  11. hwystar

I was wondering if anybody wants to opine with first hand knowledge of either or both these two. I have a Carver TFM-15 I will be using once a , hopefully minor, repair is completed. Meanwhile I have acquired both of these preamps. Does one stand out as the better of the two? Something tells me...
  12. hwystar

Fried (Irving M Fried aka IMF) Model Q tweeter

I went ahead and ordered a pair from ebay and I'm hoping for the best. They measure about 5 ohms. Here are some pics of mine.
  13. hwystar

I have no idea whether they are early or late version Qs but a clue could be rubber surrounds, and the tweeter domes are a lighter color, not black. I saw those on ebay. They are the correct fit I believe but was wondering about the impedance.
  14. hwystar

I picked up a pair of these model Q, no number designation, just model Q. Both tweeters are dead and I can't tell what impedance they should be. Does anyone have this information?
  15. hwystar

Kenwood LS 890s

You've brought up an interesting question. I should have done AB comparisons on all the other speakers with the LS890s and take notes. I'll have to start doing just that with future acquisitions.
  16. hwystar

Kenwood LS 890s

Like I said, they have been my keepers because they do sound good and they can't easily be sold for a lot of money. They really shine in the midrange and highs. I've always noticed their lack of muscle in the low frequencies. I once had a pair of Yamaha NS1000Ms to compare them to. Same basic...
  17. hwystar

Kenwood LS 890s

None. Mine were in great shape and have not given me any problems. I guess they might be due a recap alright but they're not begging for it just yet.
  18. hwystar

Kenwood LS 890s

I do have a pair. I've got them playing right now. I've had mine longer than any speaker I currently own and I've seen several pairs pass through my hands but these have remained with me. Mainly because these are harder to sell than the others were. I think they're pretty awesome though. Heavy...
  19. hwystar

Sansui AU-D11 II - private sale

I can't remember the exact model but that's not it. I had a pair once and sold them on eBay for about $100 with one speaker dead. I think the guy who bought them got it working. That amp looks pretty good. Usually anything with a toroidal transformer in it I would be very interested.
  20. hwystar

Sansui AU-D11 II - private sale

What about those Yamaha headphones? There's one model I know is worth a Benjamin or two. Good score btw.
  21. hwystar

Back to the rabbit hole with a Pilot 240

Update on the wood case project. My wood working abilities are just barely adequate I guess but I did manage to make this happen using wood from the original console and some wire mesh "gutter guard" stuff from the building supply store. I had some fun doing it. And it is a big improvement over...
  22. hwystar

Pilot 240 estate sale find

Just for a point of reference on repair cost, I recently had a working 240 recapped and resistors replaced. The same basic work it may take to get yours up and running. Mine only had 1 weak tube that was replaced. The total for parts and labor for this service was $350. That included all...
  23. hwystar

New to me, Sansui G-9000. Lucky and persistant sale app find.

Great score, great story too!
  24. hwystar

MindBlower speakers

Yep. A friend had them in the back of his Plymouth duster. 1976' or '77... "Mind Blowers" what a great name for these things. I remember REO' riding the storm out and golden country played a lot, on 8 track no doubt.
  25. hwystar

Heads up Cornwalls being described as Heresy on ebay California Low$$$

Didn't notice the price per speaker. Not something normally seen on eBay. Looks like somebody made an offer and got them for $500.
Back
Top Bottom