Search results

1. hwystar

KA-7300 channel unbalance

Any ideas what could be causing this. The right channel is slightly lower in volume than the left. More noticeable at higher volumes. By slightly I mean it can be compensated for with the balance control and it sounds good. No distortion. I really could just live with it but I wonder what it...
  2. hwystar

Preamp opinion? Nak 410 vs NAD 1020

I was wondering if anybody wants to opine with first hand knowledge of either or both these two. I have a Carver TFM-15 I will be using once a , hopefully minor, repair is completed. Meanwhile I have acquired both of these preamps. Does one stand out as the better of the two? Something tells me...
  3. hwystar

Fried (Irving M Fried aka IMF) Model Q tweeter

I picked up a pair of these model Q, no number designation, just model Q. Both tweeters are dead and I can't tell what impedance they should be. Does anyone have this information?
  4. hwystar

Heads up Cornwalls being described as Heresy on ebay California Low$$$

They might be rough but worth checking out if you are local, otherwise I'd be skeptical. (0) feedback seller and low shipping quote. Well anyway, I've done my good deed for the day. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Klipsch-Heresy-Speakers/401591779794?hash=item5d80bc41d2:g:kZoAAOSwanhbiX7c
  5. hwystar

PIONEER CS63DX / CS99 TWEETER DRIVER SUBSTITUTE

Failing to find a replacement for my bad PT103F horn tweeter in my 63DXs I got to thinking about a possibility of using another driver. Specifically one from a pair of BIC Venturi speakers I got a long time ago and all that is left from them were these BICONEX horns. I'm not even sure the exact...
  6. hwystar

Cabinet finish questions AR 2ax

So I got these recently and haven't even tried them yet. They're in great condition and the first thing I want to do is preserve the wood with re-oiling or what not. Pictures of one speaker only ( they are both alike) shows the wood on one side where they sat on the shelf. Looks bare like it...
  7. hwystar

Back to the rabbit hole with a Pilot 240

Hmmm, I was just thinking about taking the wood from the console this came out of and making a cabinet for this. If so I'll post pictures. It's a nice Mahogany. One reason I got out of tubes before was for the lack of time and resources to do the restore work myself and couldn't afford to...
  8. hwystar

Sloooooowww to start, direct drive Akai

I have an AKAI direct drive that is extremely slow starting. The servo lock light flickers for a while when it finally gets up to a speed that resembles normal. Then after letting it run for an hour or so the light becomes stable. Also while in the "warm up phase" the cut return button will not...
  9. hwystar

Sansui AU11000 vs Carver M1.5t /C1

I recently acquired an AU11000 which is bone stock with no issues. Its really nice and I am hoping to add a TU9900 some day. Looks great, sounds great. Then just yesterday I acquired a Carver set. C1 preamp / M1.5t power amp / and TX11 (no a or b) tuner. I've just tested it to find it all works...
  10. hwystar

KEF 104/2 vs ADS L710

Looking for opinions on these 2 speakers. Can't compare really without buying them both. I've found threads comparing similar models but not these 2 exactly. I might get both but if I can only get one which one should I? Price is not part of the equation nor is music genre. I listen to many...
  11. hwystar

Heads up, Leak amp and preamp in Pensacola

If you are close to Pensacola then check out estatesales.net (barn full). Sale starts tomorrow. About 3/4 of the way down you can see pictures of a Leak point one stereo preamp and a what looks to be a Leak stereo 50 amp. And tubes! I'm a little too far out to make the journey and I may not want...
  12. hwystar

Garrard 775

I have picked up this stacker table to use since I didn't currently own a stacker. Besides some quirks to work out it works pretty well. Probably needs regreasing which may be the reason for some of the quirks.Can't find much info on this particular model though. I'm looking for a way to adjust...
  13. hwystar

AU-517 Phono stage bad, repair or preamp suggestions

I just acquired this AU-517, TU-517 combo. Very nice sounding but the amp has some input issues. The tuner has a dead or very weak right channel and phono 1 has a dead or very weak left. Phono 2 also has the same problem with addition of hum on the left channel. If I had a tech to take it to I...
  14. hwystar

TRIO LS-202

I was hoping to find more information about these speakers sitting in the pawn shop. TRIO LS-202. This much I know from research. Made for Japan Market, not sold in USA which leads to lack of information and rarity I soppose. They are heavy for their size. 3 way design. Pictures do exist on the...
  15. hwystar

Old Bozaks with custom cabinets

So I found these recently on CL and gave them a listen for the first time today. Not too shabby. B200X tweeters mounted on B199A woofers, B209 midranges. Nice woodworking on the cabinets, all plywood construction. I've read about the Tobin upgrade and the shortcomings of the paper cone tweeters...
  16. hwystar

CR 1020 Lamps

I just picked up a CR1020 and all of the lamps are out (meters and dial) I was wondering if there is something common to all of them that may be the culprit or if they are truly all burned out. I've had a lot of old receivers run past me but never one that had no lights at all. Just thought it...
  17. hwystar

Ampex signature console on that auction site, new jersey area heads up!!!! Garrard 301?

I wanted to point this out it l looks like it has the "professional model" turntable which was an option over the RC88. If so this could be a smokin' deal for somebody. If you're into that sort of thing. I'm thinking you can sell the 301 and the console is paid for then replace it with the RC88...
  18. hwystar

Magnificent Magnavox find

I've read old threads to find out what I can about this amp. It has (6) 6V6 GTs in it a 12AX7 and a couple of 12AT7s. It may be a Bi amp model. I'm most interested in making it a stand alone amp but not if it can only be a bi amp. I'm not sure I need or want a bi amp. Can anyone tell me if this...
  19. hwystar

I got me the Denon DP-37F turntable blues

Its a nice looker and sounds great, even came with a Grado black cartridge with an excellent stylus to boot. It just has some issues. The issues...Will not auto cue, tonearm drops abruptly after a delay when down button is pressed, will not auto return. When forced to return with stop button...
  20. hwystar

Bi amping, L2030s, C2000, with a multi channel amp

Since finding my ADS 2030s I've been reading about bi-amping and hoping I can find a C2000 for this some day. I just picked up a Parasound 5 channel amp. The HCA 2205a. If I end up keeping this amp would it be acceptable to use 4 of the 5 channels to bi-amp with? If I understand how the multi...
  21. hwystar

Parasound amps and the HCA-2205a

I'm amp shopping and looking for a 200 watter that's very good and affordable at the same time. (250.00 price range) I was looking into the Parasound HCA 1200 and 1500 specifically. This led me to a potential (too good to pass up) deal on a 2205A. I don't really need 5 channels and I don't...
  22. hwystar

CL Chicago Ampex

heads up, no aff. http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/ele/4830371987.html
  23. hwystar

SL-1200MKII vs Empire 598 III

I think this is a fair, but maybe a tough comparison. Of course one is belt driven and one is DD and there other basic differences. What they do have in common is that both are highly regarded manual turntables that may be considered as near the TOTL in their respective brands. I'm...
  24. hwystar

A/D/S L2030 line source or point source

The question is regarding which is best or preferred by those who have, had, listened to, or know somebody who has or had them. Point source or line source mode. This feature of the L2030s turns off the extra mids in point source and leaves the main mid and tweet working. My research here on AK...
  25. hwystar

Acoustat Trans Nova Twin-200

I'm brand new to this amp, been doing some reading. It seems to be relatively rare these days, was designed to be able to run electrostatic speakers. May have some quirks such as the noted thump upon start-up when teamed with dynamic speakers. Is well built and well reviewed. I've tested it and...
Back
Top Bottom