Search results

1. OldADC

Calling Any ADC Astrion Owners

Or more generally speaking, I wonder, how one could design a purely magnetic suspension, which would be sufficiently stable in all relevant planes. Having some doubts, that one could get by without any mechanical contact... Indeed this the challenge, Manfred. If one refers to Earnshaw's...
  2. OldADC

Hi Manfred. Glad to be back. I'll be happy to discuss soon. Hoping to be able to use magnetic suspension for a stylus. The necessary damping will have to be a part of the field configuration along with the levitation/suspension. This idea could be a product of single malt.....
  3. OldADC

I'm back again, folks. Nearing retirement from my career as a high energy laser designer and wanting to spend some time playing around with cartridge design again as vinyl is making a comeback (for all the right reasons in my opinion). EDP
  4. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Hi. Do you mean for the magnetic suspension? Yes, I do have a preliminary design. One cannot build a stable magnetic levitation using ferromagnetism alone. Earnshaw's Theorem (1842) has proven remarkably robust, probably because it is correct.....lol. One must balance the forces using...
  5. OldADC

Shibata through a microscope

Yes, Namiki is still in the business. I've been in contact with them concerning some development work I am doing off the side of my real job and they have some interesting things to offer.
  6. OldADC

Shibata through a microscope

Ahh for all the speculation, and all the old mis-information. The Astrion used a modified elliptical called "Extended Contact" with a small scan radius of ~6 and a contact radius of 38 microns. I wrote that brochure that is copied above. Namiki Jewel produced the diamond and the sapphire...
  7. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Sorry if it seems to have gone a wandering. The moderators decided it belonged in the Cutting Edge. Glad you found it again.
  8. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Very similar! Thanks. Very interesting. This would be taking those same master tapes and recording analog optical from them just as this project is making reel-to-reel from them.
  9. OldADC

What are your favorite Cantilever materials & Diamond shapes?

Boron tube seems to be the statistical leader here. Tapered aluminum appears to remain popular as ever.
  10. OldADC

Well there is absolutely no doubt that with replaceable styli cartridge designs that the fit of the stylus housing to the body must be very tight and stable. And I want to thank everyone for the inputs here. Very interesting reading. As I am designing this, I am pondering how to do a couple...
  11. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Ferrofluids were just coming on the market as a new material when I was at ADC and we did use them early on in the motor gap of some speaker drivers. One of the earliest to do so when Roy Cizek was there. Those who remember Paragon and Mark Deneen will also remember the B100 preamp that he did...
  12. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Excellent input and much appreciated. The materials involved indeed could set an archival benchmark. I hadn't really thought about that one. It would be a faithful, purely analog recording of the music played and could well serve as an input stream to be digitized again and again as sampling...
  13. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Good to see you're still with us, Pio!! The materials involved are exceptionally robust.....as in space craft robust. Which leads to my answer to j_loop....
  14. OldADC

At ADC, the design philosophy carried forward from Peter Pritchard was low effective mass, high compliance, low VTF. The basics of the design were exactly the same ranging across the whole product line from the $5 cartridge in a blister pack sold through Radio Shack up through the Astrion at...
  15. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Interesting. The moderators moved this to "The Cutting Edge" and everyone appears to have lost track of it, or suddenly lost interest. Hmmm
  16. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

I did see where BestBuy and other retailers were no longer going to stock CDs. I guess ever dog has its day but doesn't this also mean that there are essentially no physical media formats that are being full range commercially supported? Thus music has become digital only...and you are quite...
  17. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

At ADC, the design philosophy carried forward from Peter Pritchard was low effective mass, high compliance, low VTF. The basics of the design were exactly the same ranging across the whole product line from the $5 cartridge in a blister pack sold through Radio Shack up through the Astrion at...
  18. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Thanks, Mike. And I think you have quite correctly identified one segment of the vinyl population....and an important one at that. It's that first pressing edition of Miles or a rare Deutsche Gramophone of the Whatever Royal Orchestra's ABA reprise....exceptional and only 3 known to be...
  19. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

That is actually a great question!! From my original posts, you might remember I designed a variable compliance cartridge back in the early 80s and published a paper on that design with Audio Engineering Society (Montreaux Conference, 1982). So I am aware of how tuning the compliance can...
  20. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Manfred, of course I asked you as well. Yours has always been thoughtful and valuable input and I find this missive quite insightful. "Small scale revival of a revival" should probably be etched somewhere and hung over my workbench in the lab. Thank you, sir.
  21. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Its the tantalizing part as you state it that makes me bring it up, do the research, poll you guys, think through all the business side as well as the technology.....yeah, it's really rather tantalizing....
  22. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

No sir, I do not. Perhaps that is something I should remedy. Do you have any particular place on line that you think would be best for exposure and readership?
  23. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Thanks, Mike. Good to hear another perspective and a valuable one at that. My involvement in audio has always been at the tweaky high end even if we did build low, mid, and high end cartridges when I was at ADC. So hearing from those who aren't necessarily audiophiles but represent different...
  24. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

Thanks, Nathan. I believe we are touching on the digital vs. analog argument at its very heart. There are seriously passionate people on each side of the divide and I don't wish to engage in the rehashing of an argument that is now 35 yrs old. Just count me in the analog camp for the highest...
  25. OldADC

Analog Optical Recording

About a year of good work plus ~$50k in materials/parts. Not too much money nor too long by development standards.
Back
Top Bottom