Search results

1. Almost There

ADS L690 rust and restore help

I agree with many of the opinions here. These are too nice a set of speakers; don't mess with him if you don't have too. But not to be discouraging... Learning how to work on speakers - removing coils, re-shimming, etc. - takes some time, but is an extremely gratifying experience. At least it...
  2. Almost There

Who is Absolutely Proud of Their Vintage SS Stereo

I let my gear speak for itself.
  3. Almost There

Looking for advice: polishing clear plastic

ingredient #1: elbow grease
  4. Almost There

Console conversions

Here's my particular take on a console conversion: 1959 Magnavox Imperial - Danish Modern / Console RESTO-MOD (Econowave + 9300 series) https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1959-magnavox-imperial-danish-modern-console-resto-mod-econowave-9300-series.980878/#post-15255084
  5. Almost There

DYNACO A25's:

A25s - booked matched, consecutive serial numbers... Enjoy and treasure them!
  6. Almost There

DYNACO A25's:

Are the serial numbers consecutive?
  7. Almost There

The Mid-Century/Danish thread

1959 Magnavox Imperial - Danish Modern / Console RESTO-MOD - Full thread:https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/1959-magnavox-imperial-danish-modern-console-resto-mod-econowave-9300-series.980878/
  8. Almost There

What Record Are You Hearing Now?

GOOSE - Shenanigan's Nite Club; 2021... Santa was good to me! (white vinyl is pretty cool)
  9. Almost There

1959 Magnavox Imperial - Danish Modern / Console RESTO-MOD (Econowave + 9300 series)

oops, my typo - turntable is original Collaro (not garrard)
  10. Almost There

1959 Magnavox Imperial - Danish Modern / Console RESTO-MOD (Econowave + 9300 series)

Yep, 182 is bi-amped stereo. Very specialized, and limited IMO by the integrated crossover. Instead of trying to by-pass the crossover, I went for something more straightforward and simple with the 9304. At the end of the day, really all I've built is a standalone speaker cabinet that can be...
  11. Almost There

It sounds great !!!. I don't have any professional measuring equipment, but to my ears it is very enjoyable listening. Very tubey and warm. The bass is deep, but not punchy. It gets better as it warms up. And the 9300 series amp has plenty of driving power. It's very nice, and a fun experience.
  12. Almost There

The original Magnavox amplifier in this Imperial was the 182BA: "This is a strange beast - bi amped treble and bass for each channel on a stereo chassis, and the treble amps are single ended!!... there's a couple of things to consider… Nice little amp if you can work out the little quirks."...
  13. Almost There

Speakers: Speakers were always touted as a Magnavox strong point. Each channel on the Imperial uses a heavy-duty 15" bass speakers with 24 oz. magnets, along with a 1000 cycle exponential treble horn. When I broke down the speaker assemblies I found that one of the treble horns was blown and...
  14. Almost There

THE WORK: The console cabinet was in excellent condition and very well made, solid walnut. However, one of the faux-wood glass sliding cover panels was cracked and after I got into the guts of the cabinet, including the speaker sound boards, I decided to eliminate the siding glass panel system...
  15. Almost There

Some history on the Magnavox Imperial line from Tube Radio Forum; Apr 29, 2014 : The top-of-the-line series of Magnavox instruments is the Concert Grand. In 1959, the famous bi-amped chassis appeared. Only two cabinet styles were offered, French Provincial and Danish Modern, the latter...
  16. Almost There

I picked up this Magnavox Imperial Danish Modern off Craigslist’s from the original owner-family in 2011 and I've tinkered with this restoration on and off over the past decade. The Imperial Maggie has a nice legacy, and I believe I started off with the intention of restoring this to the...
  17. Almost There

Magnavox Console speaker's repair or replace

that's nice work. Congrats!
  18. Almost There

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

July 29, 2010
  19. Almost There

Boston Acoustic A400 - Restoration

Curiously, I found this label inside both speaker boxes from Freeformfive. Apparently, Boston Acoustic was outsourcing speaker cabinet fabrication to this Markam, Ontario based furniture company. I had not ever seen this referenced before for the original A-series speakers. - From the...
  20. Almost There

Replaced fiberboard bases with solid poplar, and installed new grille cloth. - old glue on the grilles is a PITA
  21. Almost There

Replaced Ferrofluid in each tweeter - I wish I had taken more pictures of this process. It was a very easy task and replacing the fluid made an immediate and noticeable sonic difference in the highs. I highly recommend this upgrade! (Plenty of very good how-to videos on YouTube.)
  22. Almost There

crossover recap:
  23. Almost There

New foam surrounds, with the correct bevel:
  24. Almost There

I picked up these Boston Acoustic A400 speakers a while back, and they have been rotating in and out of my main system for about 8 or 9 years. Over this time, I have slowly restored these to their current, more than excellent condition.
Back
Top Bottom