Search results

1. Phil H

Silence Your Gear!!! Power Cord Polarity...

Class A GFCI's (the GFI's found in homes, swimming pools, etc) are designed to trip when 4mA to 6mA goes to ground. Worrying about 800 μA at 120V is a bit conservative.
  2. Phil H

Is anyone scared?

When I see HD radio replacing analog FM as standard equipment in new cars, I'll start worrying. Last time I looked, only one auto maker offered HD as optional equipment (BMW). If someone wants HD in their car, they need to buy an aftermarket radio.
  3. Phil H

JBL L36 Score – kinda

The original woofer for an L36 is the 125A. Here is a link to JBL pro that has the T/S parameters. http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Thiele%20Small%20Parameters/Theile%20Parameters.pdf
  4. Phil H

Fuse Specs, What Really matters?

:dunno: I had to look that up BTSOOM Beats The Stuffing Out Of Me (polite form)
  5. Phil H

50 WPC: Is It Enough?

My observations are not very critical. I do not crank the volume. But, as I climbed the food chain of watts, the bass improved and the sound is more musical than thumpy. I started around 35wpc and have stopped at 200. At the same time, I choose different manufactures, so it would not be fair to...
  6. Phil H

Yamaha BX-1 Class A Amps?

B-2, Did you try using the snap shot tool in Acrobat Reader. You click the little camera icon and then select the portion of interest. It copies the selected area to the clipboard and you can paste it into Paint or other program and save it as a jpeg.
  7. Phil H

Speaker Cable Definitions please...

Searching for an answer on Google, I was lead into the realm of $1000 cables. The hair was standing on my back, since this is scary territory for me (OK I am cheap). The answer was elusive and I can only say that I have a general idea of what this terminology means. But all of the bi-wire cables...
  8. Phil H

Creek 4040 s2 Integrated Amp Manual

Creeks website has the manual for the CAS 4040. It looks similar. And, Brian is a good guesser. http://www.creekaudio.co.uk/noflash_main_content.asp?catlook=old&content=old Edit: I wanted to say that is a sweet looking amp. And, 4040 uses the same manual as 4140...
  9. Phil H

eBay voided a sale after it closed?

Let us know what the seller says. Is the seller still registered with eBay? I have seen auctions removed for keyword spamming while they are still running. But, I have never heard of an auction being cancelled after it closed.
  10. Phil H

My New Avatar

pmsummer, Is the first picture a D-Type? I always loved pictures of the Jaguar XJ13, but only one was ever made.
  11. Phil H

Violators, Raise Your Hands!!!

Sam, I'll plea the 5th on that question :dunno: . It sounds like you are having fun with the new sound meter. The 5 dB above ambient seems a bit extreme but I don't own a sound meter to get an objective view. By the way, I try to respect my neighbors and keep the noise down (I only play good...
  12. Phil H

How big is your collection of extra stuff?

Theophile, I edited my origainal post with the list; that way it is under the picture. I also listed the current set-up. There is some really nice stuff in the piles. I can't say the Perreaux stuff I am using is that much better or if the speakers I am using like the headroom provided by 20O wpc.
  13. Phil H

It is a Sony SB-5335 system selecter. 3 tuners, turnatables, auxs, tapes and 5 pairs of speakers can be connected to it. It was the last straw. I bought it a couple months ago and just tried hooking it up last night. But, it has problems.
  14. Phil H

I found myself asking self why all the stuff that is not used. Sometimes, I think that I am out of control. The picture shows about 75% of the stuff I have that I do not use. I just can not decide what to sell and what to keep. I just took almost everything out of the living room that I do not...
  15. Phil H

The AudioKarma Pony Express Route - Sign IN!

Before I put a pin in the map, I needed to know more about what I am committing to do. If this is a one time deal, I am in and will drive further. If it is every once in a while (once every month or two), OK, I am game. If it is an every week deal, I can not commit 3-4 hours driving every week.
  16. Phil H

Three-phase Power

Is the 10hp for a rotary phase converter? You might want to investigate Variable Frequency Drives. They are primarily used for speed control of 3-phase motors. Some can use a single phase input for 3 phase output. The prices have really dropped over the years. VFDs have some draw backs but they...
  17. Phil H

Voice

A kazoo?
  18. Phil H

Altec Lansing Design 5 speakers?

Model 5 have a 12" and 2 tweeters. I don't know anything about them. http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-home/page09.jpg http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/altec-cat.htm
  19. Phil H

Most Sophisticated E-Bay Scams

PayPal
  20. Phil H

Sick CR-1020

The CR-2040 has an adapter switch. If it is pushed in, you get no sound. It is there for an equalizer or other device connected between the 'pre-in' and 'pre-out'. Also one of the VU meters is also used for signal strength on the tuner. The meter switch changes modes. Also, if you touch the...
  21. Phil H

Feel like climbing??

The Everest is a statement of JBL's continuing comitment to manufacturing high quality speakers. Thus, it is hard for me to guess how they set the price. Otherwise, I would guess that they had a rough idea of the selling price and sales volume very early in the design process. The speaker would...
  22. Phil H

New JBL Mt. Everest

The JBL Everest D66000! There has been a lot of talk and pictures at the Lansing Heritage Forums http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/ . The forum's administrator, Don McRitchie, attendended the unveiling (I think he is a member here). Here is one picture from at the Lansing Heritage Forum:
  23. Phil H

Your speaker setup- 2 front, 4 front, 2 front/2 rear?

I only listen to one pair at a time, but I have five pairs connected :eek: (adcom selector switch). I like them all and can't decide which ones to I like the best. (JBL 120ti, 4425, L110, Apollo and Yamaha NS-1000M)
  24. Phil H

On your amp/pre-amp what to you prefer? Volume dial or up and down buttons?

Hmm, The reason I don't like detents on volume is caused by the Perreaux SM2 preamp I am currently using with the PMF2150B amp (200wpc). The volume has 30 detent positions - I just counted. I rarely set the volume past the 4th detent. This doesn't give me many choices.
  25. Phil H

On your amp/pre-amp what to you prefer? Volume dial or up and down buttons?

Another vote for knobs. But, I am not a big fan of volume knobs with detents.
Back
Top Bottom