Search results

1. R

Yamaha CR-820 repair person in Los Angeles?

this is probably your issue.
  2. R

Revisiting my Yamaha Ax900U and its relay pads issue

scrap away the green silk screen with a fiberglass pen or a hobby knife. Tin the freshly exposed copper and run jumper wires to the relay's pins.
  3. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

I got my DAC and installed into the Main In of the DSP-A1. The audio quality has improved. The midrange or maybe low end is more clear. The built in DAC sounds more smeary.
  4. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/yamaha/dsp-a1.shtml 16 bit is 96 dB, 24 bit 144 dB. Modern DACs like the SMSL D0100 have ~120db of dynamic range. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/smsl-do100-review-stereo-dac.34198/ The audio quality will be improved if we...
  5. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

DSP-A1 has an AK4324 DAC. The current DAC is AK4493. A standalone DAC might sound better than the build-in DAC.
  6. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

Not for hiss, but for audio quality. The DACs in these units are old.
  7. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

Have you tried using the A1 with an external DAC/Pre-amp into the L/R main input (not external decoder input)?
  8. R

Yamaha DSP-A1 hiss

Are you using 2 speakers? If so try setting your central channel to large.
  9. R

My 3rd B-2, with pre and driver questions

Do you have oscilloscope shots of the ripple voltage before and after changing the caps?
  10. R

My point was that a good Sprague cap from 1960 that was mid-sized hasn't even fully failed 62 years later. These caps are 2/3rds the age and larger so it's very unlikely that they've dried out. So unless they're testing bad, I wouldn't replace bulks caps UNLESS you're upgrading the values. Once...
  11. R

I wouldn't replace large lytic capacitors unless they test bad with an ESR meter or you're changing the value to improve performance. In this video they open a medium size lytic capacitor from 1960 and it hasn't fully failed.
  12. R

Did the factory ones test bad with an ESR meter?
  13. R

recomend a good Yamaha for stereo music?

Okay, I think I understand. The Yamaha DSP-A3090, DSP-A1, RX-V1, RX-Z1, and even RX-777, RX-797, are about as good as the modern Yamaha A-S801 or 1000 amps because they use similar multiple BJT transistors in the final output stage and EL transformers. Only the MOSFET and toroidal versions like...
  14. R

I have an oscilloscope and I've replaced transistors in tube televisions so I could probably troubleshoot a vintage amplifier. Ideally I'd buy all 3 and figure out which I prefer. I just want to make sure that whatever I purchase is worth the upgrade from the RX-Z1
  15. R

It's a class A amp... hmm. I should mention that my setup is PC speakers. I use the optical output from my PC and connect it the amplifier. I mostly watch Youtube, play games, sometimes use it with blue rays or loseless audio. The B-2 might generate too much heat for my environment.I think the...
  16. R

Thanks. Question, because I'm a total n00b, what makes these vintage amps good? Based on the specs the A-S1000 has lower distortion and higher dampening and I assume the transistors are faster switching too so why is the B-2 better?
  17. R

I'm going to bump this thread rather than making my own. I'm looking to upgrade my amplifier. I've used a Yamaha RX-V665, Yamaha RX-V2600 and a RX-Z1. There was a huge improvement when I upgraded from the V665 to the V2600 and a slight but noticeable improvement in clarity when I upgraded to...
  18. R

Ohm Acoustics Model I

How do you like them? I bought Wavecor TW030WA02 to replace my low tweeters. The speakers sound good but I'm not really sure this was the best tweeter to get.
  19. R

My name is Matt, and I have a speaker problem.

How do like the Allison Twos? Which speakers do you think sound similar or better?
  20. R

AK is 19 years old, so we're having a raffle.

Aug 22, 2010
  21. R

Epicure EPI A300?

Try reversing the polarity on the mids. I have the 500, exact same drivers, and they sounded better once i switched the phase. Reversing the phase on the mids is typically common for 2nd order crossovers. 500 diagram shows the phase is reversed. http://www.humanspeakers.com/e/epi-a300.htm...
  22. R

EPI Speakers Appreciation

Own EPI 500. They are my PC speakers. I use a Yamaha Receiver, mid-range, and optical output from my PC. My main concern is how human voice sounds and these speakers do a good job reproducing voice. My biggest complaint is that the woofer and mid-woofer aren't the best proportionally. i would...
  23. R

Thrift store find.. Original Advents dated 1975 doing surrounds, what about Caps?

What type of caps do you use and where do I buy them? I am considering recapping my EPI speakers.
  24. R

EPI 500's in the house – midrange foam?

The crossover says the midwoofer needs to be reverse phase. Mine was hooked up normal phase from the factory. I reversed the phase and it sounds better.
  25. R

OHM Model I Replacement 12" Woofers

http://www.wavecor.com/html/dealers_distributors.html
Back
Top Bottom