Search results

1. G

Summary of Poll Results - Preferred format and most frequently used format

I recently posted two different polls. The first was concerned with the format/medium respondents listen to most often, while the second addressed the preferred format of the respondents. Both polls are still open, but voting has pretty much slowed to a crawl, so I thought it might be of...
  2. G

Highping - high integrity

I bought a nice integrated amp from Bob. The price was very fair, the condition was better than advertised, the packing was excellent, and his communication was quick, clear and friendly. This is a man you can trust.
  3. G

Preferred/Favorite Format for Recorded Music

I started a poll yesterday asking about the format/system you use for listening to music most often. Quite a few participants noted that for a variety of reasons, the format/system they listen to most frequently is not the one they most prefer. So, I'm launching a second poll, intended to...
  4. G

Poll: What do you listen to the most?

There was recently a similar poll, but it has been deleted. I found the topic interesting, and thought it would be fun to post my own version since the other one has disappeared. I know that many of us listen to music using multiple formats, via a variety of mediums and systems. This poll...
  5. G

AR XA Restoration Questions

I've recently acquired an AR XA turntable (single motor), equipped with a nice Magnepan Unitrac tonearm. I did some initial research/reading about this table and adjusted the suspension to AR's original instructions. I also lubricated the Haydon motor, cleaned out the bearing well and put...
  6. G

Clipping Poll - Summary and Conclusions

I set up a poll late in December (2014) intended to get a sense of AK member beliefs regarding the relationship between amplifier clipping and speaker damage. Here is a link to the associated thread: http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=632424 I thought it might be interesting...
  7. G

Stylus Pressure Gauge

Looking for opinions regarding the "Digital Stylus Force Scale Gauge Jr." offered by TurntableNeedles.com...or any other reasonably accurate, user-friendly gauge in the same general price range (this one is $28). Thanks!
  8. G

Magnepan Unitrac Set-Up

I recently acquired a rough AR XA, equipped with a Magnepan Unitrac tonearm. I have some work to do on the deck itself (power supply caps, new motor, etc.), but I have been able to get the unit to working status over the last couple of days. The Grado G1 cart that was on it had no stylus, so I...
  9. G

Clipping Damages Speakers - Yes or No

Note: I apologize to the nine AKer's who had already responded to my initial poll on this topic before I deleted it (all had voted YES). I had intended to make the poll anonymous, but failed to do so. This version corrects that mistake and simplifies the responses. The question of whether...
  10. G

Let's Have An Argument

As I was cleaning out my cache of subscribed threads, I had a passing thought regarding the "hot button" topics here at AK. Specifically, I was wondering which of them generate the most disagreements. Here's my best guess at the top ten, in rank order: Wiring/cabling (the sonic benefits...
  11. G

Don't leave us hanging

Does anyone else get just a little bit frustrated after responding to a thread started by someone looking for advice/input who then fails to tell us how it turned out? You know, the threads where someone asks for a cartridge recommendation, describes a problem being experienced, seeks advice...
  12. G

Vandersteen Subwoofer Crossover

I picked up a pair of Vandersteen 2W subs to complement my 2CE Sig II's a few months ago, and I've been very pleased. They came with the WX-2 adjustable crossover, which I've dialed in to the best sound. Vandersteen literature suggests that after determining the correct setting, the WX-2...
  13. G

This Thing Gets LOUD

And now for a rant about another of my pet peeves. I often see postings in which people talk about how loud their amp gets. Generally, these take the form of “my old Sherwood 7010a may only have 12 watts per channel, but this thing can get LOUD!”. There are only two variables in how loud...
  14. G

Price of Vintage Equipment in Today's Dollars

We've all seen the listings for a piece of vintage audio equipment in which the seller tells us about the price when it was new, and what we would have to pay for it in today's dollars. Well, I saw yet another one today, and this one finally put me over the top. So please allow me to vent a...
  15. G

Help: KLH Six Woofer

Hello! I've been working to restore a pair of KLH Sixes that someone was using as sawhorses in their garage! I've sanded them down, repaired all the damage (including two cuts into the cabinets from a circular saw), replaced veneer on the front edges, stained them and applied 5 coats of tung...
  16. G

KLH 6 Spec Questions

I'm working on a pair of KLH Sixes (the later version, with removable drivers), and was hoping that someone could tell me what the DC resistance measurement should be on the woofers. The first one I pulled measured 5.2 ohms, while the second was 10.1 ohms. I'm assuming that the second one...
  17. G

AU-919 Input Impedance

I'm hoping that someone can provide me with the input impedance for the main amp section of the Sansui AU-919. I've tried a wide variety of search queries but been unable to find it on the world wide web. Thanks in advance for your help. I need this information in order to properly configure...
  18. G

Dynaco Crossover Confusion

I have a pair of non-matched Dynaco A25s...one is, I believe, newer than the other. Same drivers (SEAS TV-EW woofers, SEAS 1.5 inch tweets) in both, and same five position crossover adjustment switch in the crossover. I was planning to recap them, so did some reading and then opened one up...
  19. G

Sansui Eight Restoration

I just acquired a Sansui Model Eight, and am trying to decide how far I want to go in restoring it. I've already got a wonderfully restored AU-919 in my main system and a sweet little 2000X in my home office...not quite sure where the Eight will go, but my Sansui addiction seems to be getting...
  20. G

AU-919 Phono Mystery

I own a restored AU-919. It's been in use for several months, and I am enjoying it quite a bit. However, I recently connected a Pioneer PL-12D turntable to the Sansui and have had a very odd problem ever since. Upon connecting the TT and turning the volume to a moderate level, the whole...
  21. G

SX-750 - Can't get the bulbs out!

OK, I'm embarrassed to have to ask this question, but what is the trick to removing the dial illumination bulbs on my new SX-750? Two are burned out, and I already broke one trying to remove it from the rubber socket. I feel like a nimrod having to ask for help on removing a light bulb...
  22. G

Need help using AU919 with second amp

Hello all. I am new to AK. I am in the process of acquiring a fully restored Sansui AU919, and am looking for some advice/guidance about using it in an unusual configuration. Simply put, I want to use the integrated capability of the 919 (in other words, as both the preamp and power amp)...
Back
Top Bottom