Search results

1. cafe latte

Excessive needle chatter with Denon 103r

Apart the the seriously dodgy brass splints some are using to retip, something else to beware of is some less skilled retippers are talking people who have boron or sapphire cantilevers into a retip with a new cantilever. They do this as they are unable to do diamond only, if this happens keep...
  2. cafe latte

If it is a micro ridge and the ridges are gone and it has started bottoming out it could chatter. Chris
  3. cafe latte

Regardless of the retipper and the quality of the job, stylus don't last as long as people think. What stylus profile did you get? Chris
  4. cafe latte

There are some horrible retips being done on 103r, I have seen two with massive brass pins used as splints in the cantilevers which as the stylus gets a bit worn can make the cart do all sorts of odd things as the moving mass is huge. The bad news is if this is what has been done then it is...
  5. cafe latte

Can Someone Please Explain the Technics 2024 Lineup?

The G is the top model, I am not sure about model numbers. Sometimes there are different numbers or letters for models for American market and a different number or letter for Australian market. Either way thr G is the top model. I do wonder if they will soon do a G mk2 as they recently did a GR...
  6. cafe latte

SL-1200G/GAE arm on SL-1200 MK 2 ?

The arms are identical apart the magnesium
  7. cafe latte

You don't change the base you just change the arm and it drops right in. Chris
  8. cafe latte

Are Broadcast Idler Turntables "Audiophile" Quality?

JIS C5521 IEC 98A Weighted
  9. cafe latte

I listen to my G and sp10's more than my Commonwealth as much as I love my Commonwealth I feel DD's are better, but I will say they can sound stunning and the best rumble is totally a non issue. His wow was 0.03 and flutter was 0.02, I need to find the message he sent me re rumble but it was...
  10. cafe latte

I have two friends who own both Garrards and Commonwealth's, both prefer the Commonwealth's. One has both fully restored with idlers machined perfectly round, motors rebuilt ect. Thr Commonwealth has way better wow and flutter ( crazy good actually) and far lower rumble. Chris
  11. cafe latte

With a bit of work anything can be brought back to life as they were so well built... https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=34547
  12. cafe latte

You clearly have heard a Commonwealth or a tricked up Lenco. Chris
  13. cafe latte

I don't own a Garrard but I have serviced quite a few mainly motors, but I do own a couple of Commonwealth idler drives along with four SP10MK2S and an sl1200g and a mk2 along with some other tables. My speakers are ATC scm 100s. Rumble wise I can't detect any at all. I am sure it is measurable...
  14. cafe latte

Anti rocking system for TT on Dutch barge

They had self leveling set up so they could play in rough seas. I think that used Garrard 301s
  15. cafe latte

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Caroline
  16. cafe latte

Radio Caroline was at sea
  17. cafe latte

Pickering XUV stylus

Retup is the only way non of the after market sound close to a retipped original
  18. cafe latte

Not sure how it is done, but I assume it can be done accurately as Jelco and Technics have very specific numbers. The most stunning low friction bearing I have experienced is my EPA 100's. If I float thr arm my breath from breathing moves the arm, it is really incredible. Chris
  19. cafe latte

Yes they do, all the sme bearings are the same, odd they don't publish friction specs though. Chris
  20. cafe latte

Nice, but I am not sure I would have gone to the trouble as the G arm measures and performs amazingly well, as good as a SME 309 anyway. Modding the arm as I highlighted perviously would further improve the G arm for a lot less money than replacing with a sme309. Interestingly sme to not specify...
  21. cafe latte

You can buy the G arm off the shelf. Not sure I would though as modding the standard arm you arrive at the same thing IMO. Chris
  22. cafe latte

Rega Elys 2 vs. Audio Technica VM740ML

The Rega is one of the worst carts ever made by anyone so honestly a at3600l which is 15 bucks is better, I am not joking it really is. Chris
  23. cafe latte

Non MC great carts of all time, those carts that show MC how it is done what is yours?

Youtube us only 128kbs so l am not surprised you can't hear much difference between the carts. Also you are no longer listening to thr carts anyway, you are listening to the recording device with its limitations and your dac. Chris
  24. cafe latte

No but they will fit. The original sl1200mk2 arm is good, rewire it, and fit a silicone insert from Kab this is better damped than just magnesium,or course doing the same to the magnesium tube will be a small step up again, but the insert give excellent damping so I cant imagine the magnesium...
  25. cafe latte

Things to look out for repairing an EPA 100 tonearm

Here is a pic of my spare with damaged bearings. These are chipped, vut usually they are smashed to bits. The top cover is dented in. To fit new balls thr top cover can be bent up at the edge in the middle a little, then insert a bit of wire or solder in the hole to prevent the balls falling...
Back
Top Bottom