Search results

1. cafe latte

Shout out for the Hagerman bugle 4

I bought a Bugle 4 as a back up phono stage as recently my much much more expensive phono stage psu died. Due to my business I need a versatile phono stage to test cartridges so the loss of my phono stage even though it was only for a few days was very inconvenient. I have a MM and MC on my DNM...
  2. cafe latte

Things to look out for repairing an EPA 100 tonearm

Over the Easter break I did not have any carts to fix so I dug out the broken EPA 100 I bought to fix a while ago. I already had the silicone nitride balls to replace the ruby ones that were shattered. The first issue with these arms is removing the bearing screws. I modded a screw driver with a...
  3. cafe latte

Retip, and a Brass splint??? What should we use...

Many here know my passion for carts in this hobby. Twice recently I came accross something for me was not right, first was a lovely MC2000 that had recently had a retip by someone but it was not performing correctly. I planned to fit a boron cantilever with a nude Micro ridge, to do this the...
  4. cafe latte

Best budget cartridges of all time post yours

I have some very expensive carts but I thought this would be fun and helpful for those looking for budget good sounding carts. I will start it off with the crazy value AT3600L. I was working away and reading a thread about it, at 25 bucks I ordered one for fun just to hear it. A week or so later...
  5. cafe latte

Modern day high elliptical tracking forces concern..

After seeing an elliptical retip recommendation on a thread for a cart that tracks at 2.5g and seeing some of the really very high modern carts with elliptical stylus tracking at 2g and avove I felt to speak out and though it was discussion worth. Back in the old days of vinyl conical was king...
  6. cafe latte

Flood victim vinyl help

I am a fire fighter apart my business. I was called in coordinate the firies cleaning the mud out of homes. One home I went too really made me want to help on some way. They had 1.5 meters of muddy water through their home, everything was destroyed. Then I saw the wet vinyl collection, as...
  7. cafe latte

Cheap Automatic turntable advice for Ex missus mum?

Hi everyone. Not often I ask questions, but this is a bit different from the hifi I am used to. Ex missus mum has a decent hifi system ( I got it for her), but it seems she has been using one of those disc eating record players with a slot in the front from the 80s! She said it sounded OK but...
  8. cafe latte

SME 3009 issues with Grado, why?

On the forums issues with Grado not sounding right or dancing with SME 3009 have come up often enough for me to refer to others problems when the issue comes up. A friend on my recommendation got a Opus 3 with boron and Micro ridge. He has three turntables and he put it on one with a 3009 with...
  9. cafe latte

there seems to be issues using on a smartphone

The new format seems on on my laptop, but when I reply to a comment the cursor goes into the quoted text not under it like normal and typing can be glitchy. I have given up a few times and waited till I was near my laptop to post. Chris
  10. cafe latte

Stylus wear, a must read....

http://www.pspatialaudio.com/stylus_wear.htm?fbclid=IwAR28SRJsSAA-PrTw-jTHSgy2EiJGEfODHg7F_oG8XP7Tc6R1qDi7ddu3l4Q&fs=e&s=cl This blows apart a lot of crazy long stylus life claims and the Shibata bit is very interesting.. Chris
  11. cafe latte

The humble Lenco..

I got a stylus to repair today and it was was a black diamond AT3600, the magnet had come loose so I fixed it and needed to test it and my AT3600 cart is on my Lenco (heavy arm do perfect compliance fit). I have not used my Lenco in a while as my Technics are my go to, at first it was slow, so I...
  12. cafe latte

Another Decca in the house

Snagged a bargain Decca Gold online not working for 250 bucks Australian which is less than 200 bucks US. Advertised as having distortion on both channels (normally tieback problem) I thought it was worth a punt and I got it :) Tested it and all good, fitted it and yep distortion but not...
  13. cafe latte

GE VR 1000 microridge tip OMG

Just done this, I was waiting for a stylus from John before I did it so I had a comparison, if I had known the difference it would make I would have done it weeks ago OMG!!! It had a black diamond nude before and it was nice but the MR is wow!!! I think I have settled on a cart to build, a...
  14. cafe latte

Found my Empire stylus!!!!

I came home after a delivering a course and my missus asked me what the turntable thing was.. There the darn thing is!! I lot it, I was convinced I had put it in the bin as it was ages ago before I was retipping carts. I must have got a phone call (near phone) and put the stylus on the shelf...
  15. cafe latte

GE VR 1000 stylus mods

My VR1000 finally arrived, I don't have John's stylus yet but modded the one that came with the cart removing the rear damper glue. Before removal the sound was muted, but things opened up after glue was removed. I was getting a little distortion which appears to have been stylus too close to...
  16. cafe latte

Nude Black diamond stylus important information

The EVG thread is closed which is a shame, especially as I discovered something important that people need to know. Both the EVG and the black diamond have misalignment issues and miss grind issues which is the common, but looking deeper the misgrind is not actually a real problem. To clarify I...
  17. cafe latte

Just for fun, what profile game post your pics

Had a few hours free today so took a pic if the stylus I am working on, just for fun guess the profile :) Chris
  18. cafe latte

Grado prestige retip with sas and born is this interesting?

Just asking the question. Chris
  19. cafe latte

What cart to fit on a spare arm of my ET2 (Eminent Technology)

Compliance of the Eminent arms is vague to say the least. I have had my Decca on one of the spare arm wands, wondering what else to set up? I have a bunch of Grado which I think are too higher compliance, same goes for the Nag MP-500, Stantons the same, Vessel and Jico not sure, then my MC's. My...
  20. cafe latte

Idler wheel restoration easy fix

Always had a little noise from my Commonwealth idler wheel. Nothing serious but I could hear it up close to speakers. Today I was board so removed the idler wheel and took it to my workshop and put it in the lathe. I have already tried machining the hard rubber off and success was limited. Today...
  21. cafe latte

Non MC great carts of all time, those carts that show MC how it is done what is yours?

It comes up again and again of hifi forums re having a MM and moving UP to MC. Probably due to mags MC is seen as only way to Nirvana which of course is not true. As I type I am listening to the first on my list just because I am listening to it no other reason, the Technics EPC205mk3. Widely...
  22. cafe latte

EPC205mk3 review

I both mine a month or so ago with a good stylus, but tie string has gone a little slack so it wont track above 0.9g so it sounded a little thin. Someone before me had attempted to undo the tiny screw to adjust the suspension but they have chewed up the screw so I am going to have to drill it...
  23. cafe latte

Another turntable added to collection.

Actually had it for a few months, but it did not work. Someone had tried to fix it which made it rather hard to know how it was supposed to be. Anyway worked it out, next was what arm. I was gifted an AT1005mk2. Compliance is a little high at 20g but not using the slide tracking force thingy and...
  24. cafe latte

For a change I disconnected the mosfet and DNM and connected Conrad Johnson Premier 3 and 4 and the

I really need to this more often. The Mosfet I have I built is almost 200wpc rms and class A for maybe the first 30wpc. It's does everything a good amp should, it is well behaved and sounds great. The DNM is an amazing preamp that needs no introduction. But today I wanted to play :) The Conrad...
  25. cafe latte

Technics EPC-205 mk3 incoming

I always wanted one of these. Got this one cheap but apparently tracks at 1g max ie suspension has issues it seems, but at the price I paid not worried. If stylus tip is in good condition I will replace the stylus suspension. I have done this before, but it will be a challenge with such a thin...
Back
Top Bottom